3800 It's no even noon and today already sucks

iliveonnitro

TCG Elite Member
Nov 11, 2008
Schaumburg, IL
Some of you may know from reading my profile, other from asking me about college. But I'm not hiding the fact that I want to go into the US Naval Academy. If I can't make that, I want to go into Navy ROTC.

I've set up meetings at Fort Sheridan, filled out an application, did four essay questions that were 2 pages long (each), and an eye exam. My mom, unfortunately, is 100% against me going through with this, and will do anything to stop me. Well, she won.

I need my physical done within 22 days in order to qualify. I went in this morning at 11am to get it done, to be denied because I am under 18 and didn't have a parent with me. Sounds normal, except this gives too much control to the parental figures...

"Absolutely not," is the answer I got when I asked her to sign off for me to get a physical. That's right, she denied me from going into a half-decent college (University of Michigan - Ann Arbor) with a full-ride, 4-year scholarship ($30k/yr plus tuition and books), just because she doesn't want me to join the military.

Thanks, mom. I love you too. Looks like Harper community college for 2 years, followed by some shitty in-state school that I can afford all by myself for Mechanical Engineering. This also excludes University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign because I can't afford room/board.

</rant> Thanks for listening. :(

2KREDGHOST

TCG Elite Member
Nov 13, 2008
That is totally wrong on her behalf, but you need to understand as well. If your her only son...how would you feel when your child is going to the military and the war issues we have now. She doesn't want you to go to war when and if it shall occur. So don't be mad at her for trying to keep you safe.....that's my opinion.

However she is holding you out on your future for a better life. I would honestly talk to your mom and make her understand how you feel about this. I bet you that your mom would rather pay the 30k and books then rather have you enroll in the military?? Want to wager... Just make her understand...and don't be pushy that will only make her get aggrevated....Best of luck and keep trying to a certain extent... It's a parent thing man its a good thing I don't any kids....

Leo

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
That's ashame... some people - like your mom perhaps - have no clue what the military is all about: duty, honor, and for country. Hell! Not to mention college grants, future job training, resume which will show military status indicating a responsible individual, body and mental conditioning. That's too bad... :(

J.E.T.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by 2KREDGHOST@Aug 10 2004, 12:39 PM
your her only son...how would you feel when your child is going to the military and the war issues we have now.
There always has and always will be somewhere to send our troops...there is no such thing as inlisting and not having to go anywhere....there is always danger...even in the peace keeping missions in third world countries.

That is horrible that your mother did that to you. If you want to go to the military, that is your choice. She should respect your wishes. Wait till your 18 and do it yourself....You will probely only spend one year at Harper.

The military is really looking for people right now....and in the near future. I am almost certain they will still take you in a year or so.

Good luck.

H

huklbry_1

Dude, that is seriously F.ed up. When I was 17 I wanted to join the Navy and my mom was against it (that was during the first Gulf War), but she didn't hold me back. She just questioned me several times to make sure it was what I wanted to do. In the end, she knew that i had thought it out and it was what I really wanted so she signed the papers.

My suggestion is to sit down face to face with her at a Shoney's or a Denny's and try to talk it out with her. Explain to her all the benefits (free college, med., experience, etc.) and that if you get accepted into ROTC it will be at least 4 years before you would even go anywhere near a war if at all.

Good luck and keep us informed.

My orginal plans about oh say 3-4 months ago were to join the military. they came out to my house and i took all the tests and what not and it was decided that i could join up, all i had to do was sign my name on the line and go for the physical and i would be in. then in may my dad passed away, and i decided for the sake of my mom and the rest of my family that i wouldnt join anymore, i couldnt have the thought that everyday i was gone that my mom would be here by herself having to do everything by herself, with no-one readily avaiable incase she needed help with something. so i chose to go to lincoln tech instead, only 1 year of school and then i can start making a career for myself. i totally understand what your ssaying though, if i was in your shoes i would be feeling the same way..just talk to your mom about it and if you lay it out for her in a way that she can understand she'll eventually say yes. good luck

--Adam

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info