IT person looking to change it up

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Okay, here's the deal neal;

I'm at a point with what I'm doing I feel like I'm stagnating and I want a new challenge. What I'm looking to do is find a small environment to start running for a company, preferably one that needs to be turned around/modernized. Here's a bit about me:

Past:
-Singlehop in Chicago for about 2.5 years. Did Linux/Apache/MySQL/Cpanel, a lot of networking/DNS type applications, racked servers and provided front line support via phones, tickets and email.

-EMC Customer Service for about 3.5 years. I did a lot of upgrades, situational management involving customers, preventative maintenance and break fix. Ultimately a huge part of this was determining what actually were the issues facing customers then working within the system creatively to ensure that they got their needs taken care of.

-EMC Presales for about 2 years. Currently I run a full datacenter environment for EMC's Central Division Presales lab. I do a little of everything include demo products to customers, determine the environment's architecture, build out the environment, secure resources such as networking equipment and storage, provide documentation and overall virtually anything that needs done in the lab. I have lead on networking refreshes, storage refreshes and implementation of a great deal of new software in the lab which is ultimately my end user applications (most people run stuff on top of infrastructure to get things done, my job is unique in that our "end users" are people who are demoing the infrastructure its self. Experience includes EMC VMAX, DSSD, VNX, VPLEX, VMWare (multiple products within the suite including SRM,) Recover Point, Linux, Microsoft SQL Server/Windows Server/AD, Brocade SAN, a limited amount of Oracle and build out/configuration around them. Networking includes a full build out of Distributed vSwitches and configuration of Brocade VDX, Turbo Iron, Cisco 3750, Dell Power Connect and Arista switches. I also have some experience on UCS/Nexus although it's not something I'd brag about. I've also done work with ViPR Controller, ECS, minor work with ViPR SRM as well.

I have no objections to working with a Linux stack, it's one of the things I feel as if this job has pulled me away from. I'll work on damn near anything quite frankly.

Hit me up via PM if you've got something in mind. I realize it's kind of a long shot but you never know where life will take you.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
if you like presales there's probably a bunch of startups or semi-mature early companies you can join, doing stuff with hadoop, spark, or some other things... buddy just called me today, he's quitting ibm to join a company that provides a cassandra back end for applications. then the cassandra data is put into hadoop and spark and you can access it via a graph database, programming languages, solr search, etc.

that stuff is all linux and hot big data architecture. depending on what you are selling/delivering probably a bit of a learning curve on the actual using the infrastructure and applying the product to solve problems area though.

aren't many small company environments migrating more towards cloud solutions now?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
if you like presales there's probably a bunch of startups or semi-mature early companies you can join, doing stuff with hadoop, spark, or some other things... buddy just called me today, he's quitting ibm to join a company that provides a cassandra back end for applications. then the cassandra data is put into hadoop and spark and you can access it via a graph database, programming languages, solr search, etc.

that stuff is all linux and hot big data architecture. depending on what you are selling/delivering probably a bit of a learning curve on the actual using the infrastructure and applying the product to solve problems area though.

aren't many small company environments migrating more towards cloud solutions now?

Would love to get into that a bit more, not sure if the market is saturated though. Analytics is a good spot to be.

Saw a position at Clever Safe and was tempted to look into that. Not really sure on working for Blue though.

Not just cloud solutions but Hyper Converged Solutions as well.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i think lots of competitors fighting - not sure where the best place to be is, surely good to be in early if someone else eventually buys you up though.

ibm does not pay the best for presales, at least if you are moving product, as compared to others that are more willing to pay you more commission. perhaps more base though (dunno, not in market, did leave ibm though as have plenty of my peers past the point where the acquisition we rode on got completely swallowed by the beast)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info