IT LIVES!!

So got car up to work. I left one job in Aug and went back to Midas is used to work for. Had to start driving 66 Caprice back in September but it needs work .
So about month or less ago my boss picked up Trackef 4wd with rusty brake lines. I offered to replace lines/work on truck for a used engine from LKQ.
So Dec 4th i got to install my 69k mile , 2007 GP engine. That was Sunday and Tuesday Caprice blew water pump so started driving GP. So far only issue is cat efficiency code.
Fist tanm of good gas almkst 22 mpg but been doing some idling.
Car needs better rear tires and new front hub bearing to fix abs/ tcs.
And thing trans cooler line has slow leak. Figure i can swing $20 for that and do need to change motor mount. Couldnt believe local price was $65 and up when cheap ones from rockauto and other places are under $30.
But runs and drives, trying to get ahold of guy i was talking to about rest of parts i need to swap SC on and still neec to fire up DHP tuner to see if it works.
Alsk turns out car has had nee Monroe front strusts installed so previous owner did tty to keep it up.
Also need too find replacement console lid. And get interior cleaned good. But its 27 deg here so some mods are on hold.

So I have little over 500 miles on engine since install last Sunday and so far no issues except the cat efficiency code. Debating on either Cataclean, which I have actually found helps contaminated cats "come back" rather than replace.
BUT I may just dial the codes out and remove it and I noticed it will need mufflers soon. Still debating that as I have access to just about anything I want. I actually still have one of the pair of Pacesetters like I had on my Regal(old double system that had issues and customer had us simply replace with stock cat back) which I had only a single unit on. But buying a match may or may not be feasible.
Still working on gathering S/C parts. Phone was down so I havent messaged guy I was talking to about parts(brackets, idlers, balancer,etc) then all I need are injectors and headers.
But now its cold here and now I need to buy propane so mods will be more drawn out BUT mileage increases may help.
I do like the car and its options.
But to be honest sometimes I miss the old Caprice. Sometimes its fun to drive older cars. BUT it REALLY is nice to have radio/CD player.
I can be honest though the heat/seat heater dont compare to the non AC 66 Caprice with its full flow bypass style heater.
The coolant bypass for sbc is through the heater so I was getting heat in 1.6 miles or less, the distance from my home to main highway.
The brakes actually smoothed up from sitting rust! But do need to reseal a wheel and rebalance fronts. Rear tires are not great and I plan on replacing them with winter tires.
But she runs.
Now the magnasteer takes a bit to get used too, at least compared to a 66 Caprice steering!

davesgtp

Nov 2, 2017
just let me know on here if you need the parts, i still have them for you. balancer, coil bracket, idlers, tensioners, and anything else 3800 related you may need. let me know if you come across a s1x, xp, nic, or st1 or st2 cam for a reasonable price. i need one for my new m90 car and one for the low budget turbo project.

Pics from when first found it

Not too shabby, finally replacec trashec console lid.

Attachments

• received_1497803076963255.jpg
    received_1497803076963255.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 40
  • received_1497803113629918.jpg
    received_1497803113629918.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 42
  • received_1497803153629914.jpg
    received_1497803153629914.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 39
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info