🔧 BUILD it gets no simpleR: Adam’s ‘18 Volkswagen Golf R

egodeth7.5R

Nov 28, 2020
I have an introduction thread and figured I’d post here too.

2018 Volkswagen Golf R
Oryx White Metallic
7-speed DSG (dual clutch)

At this, point pretty much FBO + E85:
- Integrated Engineering v2 intake
- 034 Motorsport turbo inlet/turbo muffler delete
- 034 Motorsport 4" catted downpipe
- Scorpion non-valved/non-resonated catback
- Forge turbo blanket
- AMS intercooler
- Autotech HPFP internals
- EQT Stage 2 93/E85
- 18"x9" +35 Enkei RPF1's
- 235/40R18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Not yet dynoed, tracked, or quarter miled, this is my everyday dream car that turned out to be everything I dreamt of and more.

the stoRy:

Ever since, thanks to my friend working at Carmax back then, I got to test drive a good number of 1.8T and VR6 Mk4 GTI’s, I’ve loved Volkswagen. Always quick and always felt somehow cooler than anything I’d owned. Unfortunately I never got to drive an R32.

i owned a few domestic V8’s, a handful of RWD Japanese cars, and two turbo Subarus, the first of which had a TD05 20G, cams, and a 100 octane tune. Never got a good run in it but it was brutal. 365whp/395wtq on Komet’s Mustang dyno. All that torque from 3k onward plus very short JDM gearing made it a blast. A tuning error cost it the life of its 2nd motor and I sold it stock, as I was laid off at the time. The second was a stock (and abhorrently laggy!) ‘08 STi.

i took a break for awhile until the quarantine got me itchy. Life’s too short, etc. etc. I almost bought a new R, except no one could get me Tornado Red. I loved the R’s since the now legendary Mk4 R32, and once I saw how g0$&?€n fast Stage 1 Mk7’s were going it was on.

Long story short, I could not find any Mk7/7.5 R’s with DSG’s anywhere near me and almost bought a ‘17 S3 until this R came up at Carmax in Merrillville. I called immediately, left work early, and bought it that night. One owner Florida car, low miles, stock. The only flaw was a little side bolster wear on the drivers seat. That’s life.

The R is lighter than the S3, more versatile/spacious/practical, and being one year newer, it had the 7 speed DSG instead of 6. And it looked just right on those stock 19’s (which I quickly grew to loathe). It was, and still is, the one.

Even in stock form, the car blew me away. So smooth and civilized yet pretty damned quick stock. That didn’t stop me from going Stage 1 within two months via Unitronic.

A month later, curiosity bought me a downpipe and the 3 components that comprise the turbo inlet. I got all that installed and reflashed the car. Much stronger/more immediate low end response, more power under the curve all the way through the top end, and it responded really well to an E30 blend.

The difference between 93 and E30 was enough to have me wanting more ethanol. Unitronic doesn’t offer an E85 tune and is known for being a bit conservative overall, though very smooth and linear. This brought me to Equilibrium Tuning aka EQT, who has an off-the-shelf (OTS) E85 Stage 2 tune that required only a rebuilt high pressure fuel pump (these cars have 2).

The benefits seemed almost too good to be true: more power, cooler cylinder temps, the ease of filling up at a normal pump with no more blending, AND the fact that it’s cheaper? No way. The only drawbacks? The initial investment and the much shittier gas mileage.

This tune/fueling puts a stock turbo R right around 400whp/420+wtq (Dynojet numbers) and potential mid 11’s in the 1/4.

Considering the vast majority of the added power is all in the tune and downpipe, the car is just amazing. Add to it the unrelenting grip on the 4motion AWD and versatility of a hatch, and it’s unbeatable for me. The only other cars I’d drive, both of which are less child friendly, are an Audi RS3 or a GT350/500

egodeth7.5R

Nov 28, 2020
Hung out with a Stage 1+ E85 Audi RS3. That inline 5 has the voice of god! He got me but not by all that much.

458408E5-F1E3-4C62-B23D-3CEDAA2E1CC8.jpeg

Power at my fingertips! Seriously, E85 is revolutionary.

A002CD99-4154-40B5-A920-01277ABD69E6.jpeg

basically stock with wheels

C0EEB8B6-E9DE-43D5-ACDA-07316F0177DA.jpeg

???

4A9F29BC-8EE7-41F3-882C-545AD70ECB97.jpeg

egodeth7.5R

Nov 28, 2020
I've spent quite a bit more time with the EQT (Equilibrium Tuning) maps, both 93 and E85, and they're awesome! On E85, the car is fast enough to be scary and definitely enough to overwhelm the stock brakes. It's enough power for me, which is handy, since any more would require a turbo swap anyway.

On that note, I've been doing some reading about front brake swaps. It's possible to save up to 40 lbs. off the front axle with bigger/lighter calipers. After feeling how big of a difference my 17lb. RPF1's made over the stockers, I'm very interested in both giving the R the stopping power it now needs and saving weight in a very vital place. Combine this with an S3 aluminum subframe and SuperPro LCA's/camber plates, and it could be quite eye opening.

egodeth7.5R

Nov 28, 2020
Saturday? More like BADurday!
This sucked. Hopefully a new fender and door skin will cover it. Unsure about suspension/steering damage. I got hit at relatively low speed but still.

To fend off the depression, I was daydreaming/window shopping and found carbon fiber fenders/hood for sale locally. I might go that route, save a bit on paint, AND cut some front end weight.

I’ve been contemplating a vinyl wrap anyway, so getting my paint straight and wrapping all but the carbon panels could be pretty cool…

DCF22BF2-8865-4900-9D2E-38C99A8E9AEC.jpeg

DA1715A0-018A-42FE-9140-7F402A277618.jpeg

egodeth7.5R

Nov 28, 2020
Iirc, there aren't alot of weight savings to be had with the cf parts. But I could absolutely be wrong.

That sucks man. What happened?

I’ll take whatever I can get plus I like the (glaringly obvious and a bit over the top) aesthetic of unpainted carbon fiber against white body panels. Plus for what insurance would pay for an OEM fender plus paint, I can get the carbon fibers and leave them as is.

i was turning left into a parking lot alongside a building, the other driver didn’t see me, took her right turn late and hit me right at the front driver’s wheel/fender and maybe 20-25 mph. Enough to send my 5 year old little girl into hysterics and piss me off. All is well though. No one’s hurt, the other driver is insured and honest about their fault in the matter, and the car will most likely be fine. I just hate that it’s no longer accident free but there are worse things.

Reactions: RedBeard

egodeth7.5R

Nov 28, 2020
B2F9F9ED-E0FB-4D94-AA65-6C24DB681F59.jpeg

Here’s the first of three presents I bought the car to celebrate both its return and our one year anniversary. Got it back just in time!

Integrated Engineering v2 intake
I bought it mainly for sound and because it looks mean

That said, the car feels …spoolier and more responsive. It’s definitely a tick louder and I can feel more of the downpipe rumble through the pedal/floor. Seems like higher flow to me. Is it faster? Who knows! Feels like it but that may be placebo.

It may be little, but it was really empowering installing this because it’s been a long time since I’ve done my own work. The feeling of getting it done and test driving before work it’s pretty awesome!

Stay tuned for installments 2 and 3.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
View attachment 101199

Here’s the first of three presents I bought the car to celebrate both its return and our one year anniversary. Got it back just in time!

Integrated Engineering v2 intake
I bought it mainly for sound and because it looks mean

That said, the car feels …spoolier and more responsive. It’s definitely a tick louder and I can feel more of the downpipe rumble through the pedal/floor. Seems like higher flow to me. Is it faster? Who knows! Feels like it but that may be placebo.

It may be little, but it was really empowering installing this because it’s been a long time since I’ve done my own work. The feeling of getting it done and test driving before work it’s pretty awesome!

Stay tuned for installments 2 and 3.
You mostly get turbo spoolie boi sounds from the intake. You might pick up an extra 5-10hp tho...every bit helps.

Reactions: egodeth7.5R

egodeth7.5R

Nov 28, 2020
Update 2 of 3:
Got my exhaust on today, a Scorpion catback. Made in the UK, awesome quality, no resonator, no exhaust valves (these cars have them stock), and a fair bit lighter than OEM. It's deep/full bodied, yet never obnoxious. One of the burlier sounding 4 cylinders I've heard, even at 6500rpm as evidenced below. I need to get an exterior video soon. There are several tip options for this exhaust and I got what was in stock. I'm not 100% on them and will most likely ceramic coat them black or switch to something similarly dark. Pardon by nasty rear tint - getting replaced ASAP.

244173298_1240818139765342_8818219684999328633_n.jpg

All that's left to install is my intercooler and turbo blanket. After that, it's balancing between brake/suspension/aero upgrades as I'd like this car track-ready by spring.

egodeth7.5R

Nov 28, 2020
Definitely need an outside video. Where did you get it at?

Coming this weekend!
xlr8performance.com were one of the only places to have the IE v2 intake in stock and I knew they carried Scorpion, which is the only exhaust I've been wanting.
Even though everything showed out of stock on the site, I asked and they just so happened to have one in stock.
I wish I'd have gotten the black ceramic coated tips from the factory and will most likely get mine done as the idea is haunting me.

Thread Info