It’s that time of year again, what to buy......

So which cuv?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Hunting for a wife daily driver, needs to fit a car seat without disrupting the front seat area, be awd/4wd and not be German crap.

budget is under $15k and 10 years old or newer.

My daughter is still rearward facing and probably will be for a good few months. She’s nearing the 2 year old mark but doesn’t weigh very much.

We’ll still have the Tahoe for long trips, this will mostly be a commuter for my wife as she’s starting a job that’s a bit more of a drive than before (though she’ll be splitting work between home and office).

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Hyundai has really stepped up there game. Very comfy, a ton of "standard" features. You get a lot for your buck with these. Plus they don't feel cheap when you sit in them. This is my vote.

I looked at both the Forester and Outback this year at the auto show. I was really pumped to check out the Forester. Ended up hating it. The outback was decent though. More room. More comfortable than the Forester too. Both seemed very cheap to me still.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i shopped your area quick Bob Kazamakis ilikemtb999 for what id look at/pursue with your requirements

Reactions: Spivitz

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Used car prices are nuts right so I don't know about pricing, but from your list and requirements of functionality I'd go Outback. It has the easiest backseat in which to install carseats, the most backseat room and the most cargo room. You're familiar with Subarus so I'm sure you're up to speed on the oil consumption issues of some year Outback 2.5s and all of the little stuff I'm sure you'd have no problem repairing yourself.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Subarus of that ilk, like pre-2015, including my 2012 Impreza, had numerous growing pains as Subaru ramped up production perhaps too quickly to be a volume player. Plenty of recalls and common problems; valve springs (2.0 only), oil consumption, VVT actuators. But the car is relatively simple otherwise and the problems are easily solved. The CVT sucks to drive, and it’s pokey, but roominess for the money, top safety ratings of its time and the AWD performance were the main drivers of me buying one. Outback is similar, just bigger.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Used car prices are nuts right so I don't know about pricing, but from your list and requirements of functionality I'd go Outback. It has the easiest backseat in which to install carseats, the most backseat room and the most cargo room. You're familiar with Subarus so I'm sure you're up to speed on the oil consumption issues of some year Outback 2.5s and all of the little stuff I'm sure you'd have no problem repairing yourself.

Subarus of that ilk, like pre-2015, including my 2012 Impreza, had numerous growing pains as Subaru ramped up production perhaps too quickly to be a volume player. Plenty of recalls and common problems; valve springs (2.0 only), oil consumption, VVT actuators. But the car is relatively simple otherwise and the problems are easily solved. The CVT sucks to drive, and it’s pokey, but roominess for the money, top safety ratings of its time and the AWD performance were the main drivers of me buying one. Outback is similar, just bigger.

Subaru is the safe move for sure (both in terms of safety and engine issues I’m all too well familiar with). Not sure how the wife feels about the outback since it’s gotten so big in size, though she doesn’t seem to complain about the Tahoe currently.

The cvt aspect of it scares me but out of all of all the brands the Subaru one seems to be the most reliable with my brief research :dunno: I’ll have to dive in more.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
New Passports are awesome too!

We leased a 2020 passport EX-L fwd, nice all around, lacking a few features on our trim level which should come standard on all trim levels.

Leather, sunroof, heated seats, interior space is great, layout is nice, performance wise the v6 does well both city and hwy driving.

Reactions: Jon01 and Rent Free

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Caprice.

giphy.gif

Thread Info