3800 Is this normal?

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
09-09-06_1318.jpg

Thats my drivers side rear tire.....my passenger side is just as bad. Funny thing is, 12K miles on the tires. The fronts are getting there too.

It's due to bad alignment...but still should the tires be that far gone? They'd make nice racing tires, but when it rains I feel like I'm driving on ice - not fun.

Sorry about the poor quality pic - it's from my V3 razor, which is about as shitty as my tires

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
Yes, with a bad alignment running through tires in 12k is easy. Instead of equally wearing the whole tire, you are putting all the road force on half of the tire. That part of the tire is going to heat up much more than it was designed to. I say your lucky you got 12k on them.

Everyone should fork out the money and get an alignment everytime they get new tires, thats if you arent switching tires all the time. If you drive 50k-60k miles on you tires, then change them, get an alignment while your at it. It will save you $400+ in the end. Also everyone should purchase the lifetime balance and rotation deals. They are like $30 and will make your tires last longer then they are warrantied for as long as you rotate/balance every 6k-8k miles.

I could never stand the people that come in wanting the cheapest tire (30k miles life) and didnt want any balance/rotate deal. Might as well throw your money away. Those are the people you see complaining about a bad vibration from their back end 15k miles later, and then have to replace their two rear tires. Morons.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Originally posted by REDHOTT04GTP@Sep 14 2006, 01:04 AM
Wow your toe is wayyyy outa align
[snapback]139284[/snapback]​

actually from what i see of that pic it's more of a camber issue

toe alignment problems tent to concetrate the scrub on the outer 1/4 of the tire tread
camber however tends to affect one or the other half of the tire tread.

98 TGP toy has it nailed on the head...even a $100+ alignment is saving you money in the end
i no longer do alignments (other than by eye and simple tools, ie string and measuring tape) but i still get my vehicles aligned, i usually throw the tech a 10 spot to make sure he gets it dead on, along with some "ballast" for the drivers position.

i got my Nova within 1/2 a degree of toe and 1* of camber but i took it to my buddy's to have him align it with the front end raised an inch (to account for weight transfer on launch, this is a track and driveway only car btw)

a good alignment is good PM :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info