đź“° Auto News Is This Normal? 2021 F-150s Showing Chassis Surface Rust Upon Delivery

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Detroit Free Press originally reported the surface rust on 2021 F-150s, though it's behind a paywall. Here's Ford Authority's coverage:

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/2021-ford-f-150-owners-are-already-facing-rust-corrosion-issues/

2021-Ford-F-150-Rust-Issues-001.jpg

Rust is a sad reality for most vehicle owners, especially those that live in areas with harsh winters or near the salty ocean. But we expect our vehicles to last quite some time before rust starts to rear its ugly head. That hasn’t been the case for a few 2021 Ford F-150 owners, however, as many of them are already facing various rust and corrosion issues mere months after taking delivery of their shiny new trucks.

That includes Adam Daily of Spring, Texas, who recently told the Detroit Free Press that his 2021 Ford F-150 began showing surface rust on its axles and other underbody components within days of bringing it home. In addition to that, rusty water dripped off those parts and left brown stains on his garage floor. So far, he says neither the dealer nor the automaker has an answer for him.

“I’ve been getting ghosted,” Daily said. “Ever since I got this truck, nobody knows anything. My 2016 F-150 had 65,000 miles when I turned it in, and it didn’t look like this. This thing looks like it’s a few years old and driven in heavy snow-like conditions with salt on the roads. I didn’t know what to expect but I didn’t expect people to get ignored.”

“These parts look they were possibly sitting in water or somewhere where it’s wet,” Daily said. “People have images that are around the shock mounts, too. There shouldn’t be so much corrosion on a truck just built. I’m in quality control and I’m embarrassed I missed this. But I was so excited to get my truck.”

Daily isn’t the only person that’s expressed frustration with rusty parts, either. The Free Press spoke with 2021 Ford F-150 owners in seven different states around the U.S. who have also noticed corrosion occurring within days of taking delivery of their trucks. There doesn’t appear to be any discernable pattern to what trucks are affected, however, though Ford is currently looking into it.

“We’re looking, with our suppliers, into questions raised,” Ford spokesman Said Deep told the Free Press. “While some F-150 underbody steel components may show signs of surface rust, this will have no impact on part performance or life.”

2021-Ford-F-150-Rust-Issues-003-1024x576.jpg

2021-Ford-F-150-Rust-Issues-002.jpg

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
With your picture, 100% poor application of the prevention. Some spots rusted, others didn't.

Ford isn't going to waste their fucking time or resources on replacing axles for these prima donnas.

Werd, I'll look under the '21 when it gets here and either say "cool, no rust" or "huh, has some rust".

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
oh no, rust on the axle that's going to be subject to salty ass roads/road grime/beat up by rocks anyway.

i'd say the exact same thing about your wife's truck and dan's ex's truck if they had rust on THE AXLE

the bolts are going to need more than a SKIRRRRT SKIRRRRRRRT of pb blaster to even think about moving :rofl:

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
In seriousness though, isn't rust on those kind of cast surfaces actually a good thing? I thought it was the metal actually building a coating to protect itself. It's not like surface rust on sheet metal that will eat away and disintegrate it.

Granted, I wouldn't want it happening on my brand new rig so quickly either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info