• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Is It Possible To Restore The F55 Suspension On a C5

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I picked up my 03 vette earlier this year and noticed a couple of things off the bat. The main issue I wanted to address was the suspension that came in the car. My C5 came with the f55 suspension option, but it was clear someone didn’t want to pay for the replacement shock or shocks and deleted the mag ride from the car. I still have the mag ride module, it is just unplugged. On these cars it had to be programmed out using tech 2 software. I have a few of questions for those in the know.

1) can the f55 option (which showed up as f45 in the bcm) be programmed back into the bcm so I could get new mag ride shocks and restore the system?

2) is it even worth doing, or should I just get some c6Z06 shocks and say fuck it plus save a ton of money?

3) For those that have driven vettes with and without f55 mag ride, what did you guys like about the mag ride? Is it even worth it?

Thanks dudes

Reactions: Yaj Yak

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I think most just go to the C6 shocks. Cheaper, lighter (I think those F55 shocks are like 15 - 20 pounds each), and rides a shit ton better.

One thing I checked back in the day when we'd get one come in for poor ride quality, was to see of the shock straps (like you get on a new shock to hold it compressed) were still in place. Some Vette's I recall still having these straps/stuffers still attached for some bizarre reason. Pull back the boot and look for a yellow strap.

Reactions: SleeperLS

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Yeah, from what I have been reading the c6 z06 shocks are a popular choice as far as replacement shocks go. They are a direct bolt in swap. The more I think of it, the more I am just going to get the c6 shocks and save money. I think a set of 4 are under $400. The cheapest mag ride shock is in the 5’s for just one. I will just use that money toward the hundred other things I want to do to this car.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• SleeperLS
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list