is it possible to go 12s in a supercharged car (gtp/gs) for 500$

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
you can probably do it. lots of weight out and sticky tires. Cam, 90# springs. some porting. and absolutely no regards for personal safety.

my cam cost me 225, springs 80, use somones DRs, do porting, get some dirty cheap injectors and E85 <<< key.

my junk would have gone 12s full weight on a better tire.

do it. I'll gladly help out.

then go for 11s just by adding spray.

forgot about headers. a guy has some pacesetters for sale on cgp for 150. just leave the exhaust off at the track.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Here's a recipie for you:
Used L36 block and trans, get a '98 GTP cam (use the L67 timing chain). Gasket match the TB to the SC, and port the SC.

You can probably get away with stock injectors, but need to up the FP and overall voltage to compensate.

1.9 rockers for sure, but you'll need some headers and dump the exhaust. If you must try stock manifolds, get '04 or newer...they're better.

Get a 2.5" downpipe, don't do a 3"....too big...posers need only apply.

With tuning it should be possible, but you'll need to hook it up...and tires/suspension costs can add up. You really need a fresh front end to keep it straight. I guess a limiting bar welded to the control arm would be the cheapest option since all you need is some circle track parts, and a readily available welder.

Remove the filter...box, yada, yada. A straight cone ON the TB would be best, skip the FWI and it's associated bends.

103's, light oil (run it a quart down).

Take out at least 300-400lbs (it can be done).

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
This is a good challenge but I would like to see a legitimate attempt to match what was originally said.

Stock GTP/GS + $500 in modifications = 12's

no borrowed/donated parts - Technically they are free and do not subtract from the $500 but they shouldn't be. I mean, if someone "donated" a turbo kit or a IC and it was installed would that be the same? I think tires would be necessary for this challenge. However even a used set of slicks would be $100 at a minimum. That's a nice slice from the $500 right there, and should be included.

Gaskets and fluids included - It is money spent, every little thing adds up in this instance.

Modifying things yourself and doing your own labor would be the biggest cost savings. This is HUGE for such a low budget build. Not sure what is involved with modifying the stock rockers to 1.9 but could save money.

Not sure what I personally would do to achieve this. If I could do ALL my own work I would buy some slicks, rockers, headers, port everything, run no exhaust and some 110. DEALS will have to be found, and the car will need huge weight reduction.

I think this would be very hard to-do and legitimately spend under $500

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
$500 without any free parts isnt possible IMO. I think $1000 is realistic for a good challenge though. This isnt monster garage where someone donates a $7k motor and $10k worth of random parts and a cool "FREEBIE" sound effect plays. Find someone throwing out a set of worn out or nearly dead slicks/DRs if the car only needs to hit 12s a couple of times.

Weight reduction, a nitrous kit, and cheap sticky tires can be had under $500 though...

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i dont know what panda said. and i dont want to read it, cuz most of his posts sound like a small child complaining that his puppy died as it was backed over by the garbage truck.

i really might try to do this this summer with the 97 i have. its nice and rusty so that counts as some weight removal.

if fluids count, ill use old oil from my grand prix or lawn mower or something.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info