đź“Š Poll Is Chicago a shithole?

Is Chicago a shithole?

• Total voters

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Really, I’ll just rattle off 2 things off the top of my head.
Your CPD buddies are just as clueless as you when it comes to this shit.
Just like they tell you kids with backpacks, hoodies and masks are baddies.

Did you know murders that take place within the city limits but on the expressway doesn’t count towards Chgo murder statistics

Did you know when people get shot, mugged, car jacked etc but refuse to cooperate means it has no bearing on your little statistics.

Mayors not in bed with CPD, you can’t fucking be serious.
I hang out with 6 CPD cops who are into cars. They are in a different jobs, special units, detectives, 2 are patrol guys, etc. I'm just interested in what they see out there, their views, their biases.

I'm not sure why you are taking this 'I'm right and their wrong' stance because I'm not approaching this discussion that way at all.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
I'm not trying to win here but I took some time looking at articles and stats about this and this one was my top pick. It was easy to digest and went all the way up to 2021. If I had shared a study that cut off when the rate was declining it would miss the sharp increase.

Also, sure people can manipulate numbers. So, which was are these numbers are you alleging these numbers are innacurate, more crime or less crime?
More crime

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
I'd agree that crime is under reported and that the true numbers are worse.

But even if you statistically say that for example 25% of crime is under reported, you could say the whole '91-'21 chart is still relevant and even at high level has some validity because it's just capturing the police data (calls they reported to, dealing with murders).

So we agree that crime is most likely under reported but the two of you reject the chart for reported murders. And your stance is that it's always the same but it's just a feeling.

I think it would be interesting to get us all talking in person on this at some point, maybe the next cop car show like they have at Taft.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
So more people in the early 90’s reported it more, same as now? You guy’s are delusional if you think crime hasn’t risen in the last 5 years in the city of Chicago. In the Daley days, before the police brutality out rage, the CPD would arrest petty criminals, beat the living shit out of them then let them go. Now they don’t even bother approaching them.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I'd agree that crime is under reported and that the true numbers are worse.

But even if you statistically say that for example 25% of crime is under reported, you could say the whole '91-'21 chart is still relevant and even at high level has some validity because it's just capturing the police data (calls they reported to, dealing with murders).

So we agree that crime is most likely under reported but the two of you reject the chart for reported murders. And your stance is that it's always the same but it's just a feeling.

I think it would be interesting to get us all talking in person on this at some point, maybe the next cop car show like they have at Taft.
U won’t knowingly catch me at a CPD car show. I hate them pricks with a passion.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
So more people in the early 90’s reported it more, same as now? You guy’s are delusional if you think crime hasn’t risen in the last 5 years in the city of Chicago. In the Daley days, before the police brutality out rage, the CPD would arrest petty criminals, beat the living shit out of them then let them go. Now they don’t even bother approaching them.
How do they arrest someone but let them go? So they wouldn’t be arrested if they let them go, right?
I think you should say the would detain them, whoop their ass and let them go.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
My personal feelings align with the 2011-2021 data on that chart. My feeling is that overall crime dropped but then noticeably increased in 2020.

I think / feel that Lockdown is part of the reason. I think that CPD patrol officers also pulled back. I think CPD getting increasingly understaffed is also a contributor. I think that cash bail or whatever this is called is another.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Not saying it hasn't risen. But hasn't there also been a political bias to report more and more crime in large cities and typically they are run by democrats? My family on the east coast always make a big deal about how bad Chiraq is etc and how unsafe it is because that is all they see in the media.

I lived in Logan square for 8 years and coached a team that practiced in humboldt park for 5 of those years. I think I saw police tape up once for a shooting on north ave. My car got broken into once (to steal my radio) and that was about it for any crime I was near. Nothing that I was every worried about

As Shawn1112 Shawn1112 alluded to when they shut down Cabrini Green and other projects you went from keeping that group of people all in one place to suffer and be ignored and spread them all over the city and the state (Quite a few ended up in Dekalb and Rockford and other small towns that weren't really prepared with infrastructure or a large enough police force)

If you want something interesting if you look at crime per capita (Crime per number of people) Chicago isn't even in the top 10 for the state of Illinois on most reports. Rockford is usually at the top of that one along with Dekalb and 2-3 of the small citys down south.

• Danville, IL (6th most dangerous city in US):
    • Violent crime rate: 1,050 per 100,000 people (785 total crimes)
    • 1-yr. change in violent crime rate: +12.3%
    • Homicide rate: 17.4 per 100,000 people (13 total homicides)
    • Poverty rate: 16.5%
  • Rockford, IL (17th most dangerous city in US):
    • Violent crime rate: 771 per 100,000 people (2,566 total crimes)
    • 1-yr. change in violent crime rate: +21.5%
    • Homicide rate: 10.8 per 100,000 people (36 total homicides)
    • Poverty rate: 16.1%
  • Springfield, IL (28th most dangerous city in US):
    • Violent crime rate: 667 per 100,000 people (1,369 total crimes)
    • 1-yr. change in violent crime rate: +14.1%
    • Homicide rate: 5.8 per 100,000 people (12 total homicides)
    • Poverty rate: 12.2%

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Intel Intel 'preciate you weighing in.

I dunno I rarely watch local news but the wife does. Every time it's on there is always a section on local crime, and there is always something to share.

I been on the Northside since 1989, and crime is up around here, enough that I went from knowing hardly anyone who has ever been mugged or car jacked or had car broken into / stuff stolen to now I know a lot of people. I can't speak about other areas but I am very familiar with the North side. I should talk to my sister who has lived at 111th and Western since forever and compare notes.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Intel Intel 'preciate you weighing in.

I dunno I rarely watch local news but the wife does. Every time it's on there is always a section on local crime, and there is always something to share.

I been on the Northside since 1989, and crime is up around here, enough that I went from knowing hardly anyone who has ever been mugged or car jacked or had car broken into / stuff stolen to now I know a lot of people. I can't speak about other areas but I am very familiar with the North side. I should talk to my sister who has lived at 111th and Western since forever and compare notes.
In a city of 2.8 million people there is always crime to report on the local news. Stop the presses ;)

Not sure where you were on the north side but a lot of the "safe areas" that I lived from 2009-2017 would not have been considered safe in the early 90's (Wicker park, Logan, Bucktown) etc.

I mean just realize you are comparing anecdotal evidence vs statistical evidence. Most people feel more strongly about anecdotal as it feels "realer" but it isn't always as accurate as your sample size is pretty small. Even if your group of friends is a 100 people that is like .0037 percent of the total Chicago population.

If I have 10 friends who all have their hyundais and Kias stolen by the Kia boyz does that mean that 100 percent of all cars are stolen in the city of Chicago?

I am not saying crime isn't up btw. I just think it gets blown out of proportion.

Reactions: Shawn1112

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
So is crime up or not?

I think the experiences of friends here in North Center and Roscoe Village just show that this area has more crime as opposed to less. I hung out in Wicker Park a lot in the old days before all the gentrification, don't even recognize it anymore. Even when I was in bands staying out until 4AM all the time in Wicker Park and all over I never really felt concerned.

What I've experienced:
  • 3 car windows busted, Wrightwood/Lincoln, California/Diversey, Montrose/Halsted
  • 1 car stolen and stripped, Montrose/Campbell
  • Music gear stolen from basement, Damen/Cornelia. Probably one of my shitbag neighbors at that time
I'm not all salty about the above, it's happened over a very long period of time, but it all happened.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
When people out here ask me about Chicago, I tell them it is a shithole. The only way I would ever go back is if it was required for work and I didn’t have a choice. It smells like piss, the people suck, and it isn’t what I would call safe. The only good parts are food and museums. Other than that, Chicago could disappear and I wouldn’t lose any sleep.

• Love
Reactions: cdh027

cdh027

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 10, 2004
Sunny Florida
Shithole is winning.

Old School Yes GIF

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I don't get it. When I see piles of glass on the sides of the street in River North does that mean the city is just getting worse at cleaning them up or this was always happening and somehow I only started to notice it with my own two eyes a couple of years ago? This isn't a bullshit news story on the 9 o'clock news, this is my own experience. For years in the 2000-2010's I worked in the city, parking the work van on the street in multiple areas around the loop and never saw that. Not in broad day light.

Thread Info