Is an aftermarket K-member REALLY worth it?

Bigturbonotch

WAIT AND SEE
Reaction score
if its a street car no. its loud when going over bumps in the road from my expirence.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
If you are putting on long tubes, then for gaining access - especially for oil pan parties - and weight reduction, Yes.

However, if you do get one, for being driven on the streets ensure you go with a quality brand that can handle bumps, pot holes, etc. as the weaker K members will snap.

Here is a weight reduction list (especially check out your stereo, wheels/tires and power seats - SNAP):

http://users.adelphia.net/~mustang-92/Weight Reduction.htm

Dave

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Reaction score
VenomInside said:
Yea, i have been thinking of the vortech aftercooler.

IMO enjoy the car....

In the mean time put money away for a short block or transmission. If you want some immediately improvements then start with the suspension.

Dave

hj16

Tasty!
Reaction score
VenomInside said:
Yea, i have been thinking of the vortech aftercooler.
Good.

And like Dave said, start saving up for a new tranny, the T45 aint going to cut it.

Maniak

Reaction score
like somone else said.. for the street, not really.

it reduces weight and will help handling (depending on which one u get). i would only get one if it is going to see a crap load of road racing track time as i see the biggest benifit in handling. i would go with the maximum motorsports one which is more on improving handling.

other reason to get one would be if you are going turbo.

i think you should look into the panhard bar/torque arm setup from MM :cool:

jaykruger

Juiced, ported and blown
Reaction score
hj16 said:
Good.

And like Dave said, start saving up for a new tranny, the T45 aint going to cut it.
+1

I had to replace one in my 97 cobra and it only had 340 RWHP

slow4.6

Reaction score
if you work on your own car, its the best investment. it makes it so much better to work on :biggthump

if you do get one buy PA racing really good fit no problems
http://www.paracing.com/

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Reaction score
hj16 said:
No, but an Intercooler is ;)

+1 there is no need for your car to have a tube K now....money is better spent else where

venomouss

Reaction score
I have the UPR Chromolly K and tubular a arms along with strange coil overs and I have not noticed any difference in ride or handling with the car. What I have noticed is that anything I want to work on is wide open underneath that part I love. Plus the weight reduction between that and the IRS swap my car has lost alot of weight. I only did this because I had to pull the motor to put in a built motor so I had it all apart already but in hindsight it was a good decision.

Shane97Cobra

Reaction score
slow4.6 said:
if you work on your own car, its the best investment. it makes it so much better to work on
I second this. Not to mention it is a nice chunk of weight off the front of the car.

I've had mine on the car for 5 years. I have a D&D. It does not make noise...nor do my D&D coil overs. I've probably put 30K miles on the car w/ that K-member.

I also have to agree that you need to plan for another trans. The T45s don't like much abuse.

I don't think you need to worry about an intercooler right now. At your boost levels the inlet temps don't get that hot. The Vortech Aftercooler is restrictive.

V

venmousracer

I would listen to shane, his car hauls ass!!!!, My AJE k-member never made noise as well... And I had mine for a full season...Eddie

batman

Surrounded by 10 points
Reaction score
have one isnt loud...I like it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom