• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

IRS *Pics & Problems*

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
IRS *Pics & Problems***UPDATED***

Can you say can of worms? Im getting good at it!

Just look at what the passenger side Half-Shaft has been slinging around....ITS EVERYWHERE. And the color of it? WTF am I dealing with here? Its like a swampland of automotive grease, dirt and road grime.
SHEESH!

100_1824.jpg

100_1825.jpg

100_1826.jpg

100_1831.jpg

100_1835.jpg

And these bushings?????? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100_1829.jpg

100_1830.jpg

The only good thing about all this is simple...
It will all be fixed correctly, and Ive had the chance to become mechanically accustomed with about every square inch of this turd...er...Cobra.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
didnt you get the car for a steal? whats the big deal? i unloaded my IRS and made a profit going to a built 8.8

I was waiting for this :rolleyes:

Im not upset at the problems, nor how many the car has.

I just get aggravated because every corner of the car has something wrong with it!

Its just a 'more work for me' kind of upset.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
The green stuff is definetly from broken half shafts, I have that too. The brown stuff might be a leaky diff and over time it just gets gooey and brown thats my guess.

Dont get frustrated Zack it will pay off in the end, cant wait to hit the cruise nights with the silver cobras:D

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Alright the halfshaft is out and it was not the boot. It was the round rubber gasket that was causing the leak. It appers as though it developed heat cracks, see pics below.

Check out the next post!

Attachments

• 100_1848.jpg
    100_1848.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 100_1849.jpg
    100_1849.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 100_1850.jpg
    100_1850.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 200

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
So, digging deeper into this I discover yet another ridiculous oversight and lack of all quality control.
What to these aftermarket halfshafts cost, somewhere in the neighborhood of a grand? WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE? What kind of money do you have to spend to buy a quality product???????? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

• FAIL.jpg
    FAIL.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 200

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Is that from the inner or outer shaft? I am pretty sure the inners are the stock parts that are removed and placed on the outers. That seal don't look familiar and I replaced my outer with a used outer, took the tripod apart, etc, but don't remember that piece. Could also be that whoever reassembled, didn't even notice the needle bearing fell out, right?

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Is that from the inner or outer shaft? I am pretty sure the inners are the stock parts that are removed and placed on the outers. That seal don't look familiar and I replaced my outer with a used outer, took the tripod apart, etc, but don't remember that piece. Could also be that whoever reassembled, didn't even notice the needle bearing fell out, right?

The needle bearing cant fall out, there is a metal cup that prevents it.

And this is all from the inner shaft.

Where am I gonna find 2 needle bearings? SHEESH!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info