IRS *Pics & Problems*

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
IRS *Pics & Problems***UPDATED***

Can you say can of worms? Im getting good at it!

Just look at what the passenger side Half-Shaft has been slinging around....ITS EVERYWHERE. And the color of it? WTF am I dealing with here? Its like a swampland of automotive grease, dirt and road grime.
SHEESH!

And these bushings?????? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only good thing about all this is simple...
It will all be fixed correctly, and Ive had the chance to become mechanically accustomed with about every square inch of this turd...er...Cobra.

Aron

Scared pussy
Reaction score
Smurf guts.

Guess Dennis got lucky to unload that car when he did.

Since 1964

Reaction score
Oh this is gittn good, NOW WHAT? I never saw brown grease, only green stuff from a CV boot crack, and it was the driver's side that got replaced anyway.

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
Reaction score
Upgrade bushings with the kit from fulltiltboogieracing.com.

CV boots tear. It happens.

01bluesnake

Cobra Brigade Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Oh this is gittn good, NOW WHAT? I never saw brown grease, only green stuff from a CV boot crack, and it was the driver's side that got replaced anyway.

when axle grease gets enough moisture/water in it, the color becomes that of milky brownish crap.

[email protected]

Tai Ni Po Ni
Reaction score
didnt you get the car for a steal? whats the big deal? i unloaded my IRS and made a profit going to a built 8.8

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
didnt you get the car for a steal? whats the big deal? i unloaded my IRS and made a profit going to a built 8.8
I was waiting for this :rolleyes:

Im not upset at the problems, nor how many the car has.

I just get aggravated because every corner of the car has something wrong with it!

Its just a 'more work for me' kind of upset.

sonic02gt

Kona Blue shelby
Reaction score
I was waiting for this :rolleyes:

Im not upset at the problems, nor how many the car has.

I just get aggravated because every corner of the car has something wrong with it!

Its just a 'more work for me' kind of upset.
man cobras look good in silver buddy :headbang:

[email protected]

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
oh man ive had to clean up that axle grease before, it smears really well, on the bright side none of those areas will rust:dunno: the bushings going bad might be from the vibration dampner bracket is still in there and normally that has to be left out so the bushing doesnt get over crushed

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Reaction score
that is no place for poly bushings anyway. they get hot enough to melt in that spot [yes the diff gets that hot and poly sucks that bad]

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Reaction score
The green stuff is definetly from broken half shafts, I have that too. The brown stuff might be a leaky diff and over time it just gets gooey and brown thats my guess.

Dont get frustrated Zack it will pay off in the end, cant wait to hit the cruise nights with the silver cobras:D

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
Alright the halfshaft is out and it was not the boot. It was the round rubber gasket that was causing the leak. It appers as though it developed heat cracks, see pics below.

Check out the next post!

Attachments

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
So, digging deeper into this I discover yet another ridiculous oversight and lack of all quality control.
What to these aftermarket halfshafts cost, somewhere in the neighborhood of a grand? WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE? What kind of money do you have to spend to buy a quality product???????? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Reaction score
Is that from the inner or outer shaft? I am pretty sure the inners are the stock parts that are removed and placed on the outers. That seal don't look familiar and I replaced my outer with a used outer, took the tripod apart, etc, but don't remember that piece. Could also be that whoever reassembled, didn't even notice the needle bearing fell out, right?

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
Is that from the inner or outer shaft? I am pretty sure the inners are the stock parts that are removed and placed on the outers. That seal don't look familiar and I replaced my outer with a used outer, took the tripod apart, etc, but don't remember that piece. Could also be that whoever reassembled, didn't even notice the needle bearing fell out, right?
The needle bearing cant fall out, there is a metal cup that prevents it.

And this is all from the inner shaft.

Where am I gonna find 2 needle bearings? SHEESH!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom