IRS doing your taxes for you?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
So, I got a phone survey on this which means someone is at least thinking about proposing it. The premise is that the IRS would do a basic tax form for you, and that you could still do an itemized set of taxes if you wanted.

In the nature of disclosure I think it's a bad idea for several reasons, but figured I'd see where the discussion on it lead.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
i assume some percentage of them which is non-trivial is completely basic, which i would think they'd do just fine with

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
The same people that are ok with this probably don't check their reciepts when they are leaving a store either. no thanks

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
I don't like it only because I don't want to pay for IRS agents to be doing tax returns. But with the new increase in the standard deduction, I'd think a large percentage of people's tax returns are going to be extremely simple to do.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
100% okay with a basic form being completed for me, nailed and then waiting for my review and approval. IRS already has all my tax forms and information from my employer as well as any other tax documents. Why not get something already completed for you to approve or amend?

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Reaction score
Holy shit people are gullible. Things I have more trust in:

having unprotected sex with Lyndsey Lohan
Letting an arsonist man the grill at a bbq.
McHammer financial advice.

andreydots

Low & Slow
Reaction score
I mean, the IRS can already do this. The only reason it isn't in effect is because tax accounting firms lobby heavily against it. In other countries, the tax service sends you a form for you to look over. If everything is correct, just send it back and you're done. If your return is a bit more complicated (and many are), you'd still go through an accountant. For a lot of people, this would save a ton of time and energy. Don't see the big deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom