• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

IRS Brace ?

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
Has anyone installed this themselves? Can it be done without dropping the IRS?

I have the brace on mine the only thing is I had it installed. I did ask about needing to drop the IRS and I was told there was no way around it. After looking underneath at it after the install I would agree that the rear end needs to be dropped to install it properly......Im sure you could possibily install without dropping it but it would take more time and frustation to work around it versus just dropping the rearend and being done with it.

And if you are getting this done and going to drop the rear I recommend if you havent already swapping out the IRS bushings....since you already have everything apart.... I have the sub frames and it cured some of the wheel hop after I got the bushings swapped out the wheel hop went bye-bye:p:headbang:

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
And that right there is the prime reason I dont use the guy that did some of my work anymore. When I looked under my car I figured there was no way around it That pisses me off I got jipped out of a couple hours for labor:eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h::eek:h: I am going to have to consult the CSVT gods on my next round of mods.:p
The "Hansinator" will take care of it for ya..........Dean's Performance FTW!:woot:

Stangfreak91

TCG Elite Member
Dec 5, 2004
I have the brace on mine the only thing is I had it installed. I did ask about needing to drop the IRS and I was told there was no way around it. After looking underneath at it after the install I would agree that the rear end needs to be dropped to install it properly......Im sure you could possibily install without dropping it but it would take more time and frustation to work around it versus just dropping the rearend and being done with it.

And if you are getting this done and going to drop the rear I recommend if you havent already swapping out the IRS bushings....since you already have everything apart.... I have the sub frames and it cured some of the wheel hop after I got the bushings swapped out the wheel hop went bye-bye:p:headbang:

Thanks...which bushings did you get?

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
Thanks...which bushings did you get?

I got them from Energy Suspensions and they were right around $27 and these are just for the cradle portion...... thats all you really need. You will be happy you got them if you decide to go that route. I am very happy with the end result probably part of the reason I can hook in 2nd gear on street tires:p

And like the guys mentioned you can get away with not dropping the rear which is good and now that I really think about it the brace wasnt the reason I had to get the rear lowered I actaully had a dif leak and needed to get that resealed sooo now I dont feel like a jack ass so much:D

And course watch someone will chime in here and tell me that I could have pulled the dif cover without lowering the rear:wall:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
The brace is pretty easy if you have the right tools and don't run into any problems. I'm older now, so it takes me about 1/2 hour.

A lift helps, but isn't a necessity. I've done them both ways now that I have the lift installed.

And we have found it is easier to drop the differential to reseal it than to try to do it with it in the car.

Dan

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info