🏡 Better Homes Irrigation and sprinkler extravaganza

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I’m thinking one of my smaller projects this season is going to be getting my sprinkler/irrigation working again.

Half my sprinkler heads are smashed by the lawn mower or have been buried in brush that got out of control by previous home owners.

I need a new irrigation controller as well. Eyeballing the Wyze one because it’s cheap, smart and integrates with the other home automation products I use. Any feedback?

I picked up some marking flags from HD the other day to start marking sprinkler locations. Some of them are set super low in the ground. I need to mark them before the grass covers them up and I can’t find them again.

Also, I’m going to re plumb the feed from inside the house to the sprinklers. The well kicks up a decent amount of sand/debris and I don’t want to clog up my nozzles.

Zero clue how fucked the system is right now, if it was ever winterized before it was last shut down.

What c’hall workin with?

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I have one and have gotten decent at working on it. Last year I upgraded to a Rachio wifi controller and love it. It adjust based on the forecast and learns your yard.

That being said, not knowing how your system is maintained replacing sprinkler heads is cheap (do you have Hunter, Rainbird, etc)? I’d also get a rebuild kit for your RPZ. The rubber gaskets get try rotted and can cause minor leaks/slow drips.

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
I’m thinking one of my smaller projects this season is going to be getting my sprinkler/irrigation working again.

Half my sprinkler heads are smashed by the lawn mower or have been buried in brush that got out of control by previous home owners.

I need a new irrigation controller as well. Eyeballing the Wyze one because it’s cheap, smart and integrates with the other home automation products I use. Any feedback?

I picked up some marking flags from HD the other day to start marking sprinkler locations. Some of them are set super low in the ground. I need to mark them before the grass covers them up and I can’t find them again.

Also, I’m going to re plumb the feed from inside the house to the sprinklers. The well kicks up a decent amount of sand/debris and I don’t want to clog up my nozzles.

Zero clue how fucked the system is right now, if it was ever winterized before it was last shut down.

What c’hall workin with?
I have the wyze and love it, scheduling is easy, and setup is easy... no issues at all. Plus its really fun to fuck with the kids when they are least expecting it hahaha.

• Haha
Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Do you know where the boxes are for the solenoids? If so, there's usually a ball valve for draining during winterization. If it's open, it's more than likely been winterized.
Yep. I’ve got a box in the front and back yards. I’ll pop them open and check them out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info