• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

iPass

Caddy_V

Reaction score
Has anyone registered there car or truck with ipass and not installed the transponder? It is ugly and i don't like it! If so what was the result? (fines, nasty grams from ipass)

muskie

Reaction score
I'd say about 70% of the time I don't have my transponder since I have a tinted windshield and didn't want to put it on since it would rip the tint off. Never had any issues, just debits your account as normal. They may send you a letter saying to get a new transponder after a while, don't really know.

I did get a front plate transponder, but I take my plate off so much it isnt on there often. That could be a solution if you have a front plate.

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
I don't even have it in my car. All the cars are registered. Been going thru tolls without the transponder now for a year..not one issue. I go through quite a few a week as well so that will help ya..or you could just hold it up as you go thru.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'd say about 70% of the time I don't have my transponder since I have a tinted windshield and didn't want to put it on since it would rip the tint off. Never had any issues, just debits your account as normal. They may send you a letter saying to get a new transponder after a while, don't really know.

I did get a front plate transponder, but I take my plate off so much it isnt on there often. That could be a solution if you have a front plate.

tinted windshield

:fy:

muskie

Reaction score
tinted windshield

I want it darker.... it's at 50% right now.

Maybe when I have my tints redone. I have a feeling I'll be dropping lots of monies at PAF in the near future. I need a detail too.

Burtonrider10022

Reaction score
tinted windshield

I can't even find a place that is willing to do it :dunno: they keep saying that when the 'wet' the window to apply the tint there is a danger of the water running down behind the dash and damaging the electronics...

muskie

Reaction score
I can't even find a place that is willing to do it :dunno: they keep saying that when the 'wet' the window to apply the tint there is a danger of the water running down behind the dash and damaging the electronics...
Talk to Kevin and PAF. He don't give no fucks. His tint guy is awesome.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
I want it darker.... it's at 50% right now.

Maybe when I have my tints redone. I have a feeling I'll be dropping lots of monies at PAF in the near future. I need a detail too.

mine is 35% i love it.

never heard that one.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
i never have it in my car. as long as the car is registered with them, you dont need it.

Burtonrider10022

Reaction score
Also, throw it in your trunk. It will most likely still work from there. or arm rest or glove box. My dad's is in his glovebox in the Malibu and he goes through the single lanes every so often and always gets the blue "ok" light

Burtonrider10022

Reaction score
i never have it in my car. as long as the car is registered with them, you dont need it.
According to the tollways website after an undisclosed number of license plate only tolls (i.e. not having the transponder in the registered vehicle) they will start to issue tickets. No idea how true that is or if it is just a scare tactic, but it IS in their regulations.

muskie

Reaction score
Perhaps. Is there some truth to this tho?
I guess it could happen? I figure if it would have been a problem it would have made it self know already. Especially in a VW like I have. They are known for electrical issues already.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
They are full of shit. I almost NEVER have the thing in one of the cars and never a problem.

They issued me a fine when I didnt register the cobra but I just called them, registerd...back to normal.

Ive been doing this since i got an ipass many moons ago.

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
I don't even have an iPass, my parents registered my cars when I was living with them last year and I don't have a transponder. I've gone through countless tolls and I've never received a ticket either.

Slow Buick

eat ass drive fast
Reaction score
I don't even have an iPass, my parents registered my cars when I was living with them last year and I don't have a transponder. I've gone through countless tolls and I've never received a ticket either.
This basically

Burtonrider10022

Reaction score
They are full of shit. I almost NEVER have the thing in one of the cars and never a problem.

They issued me a fine when I didnt register the cobra but I just called them, registerd...back to normal.

Ive been doing this since i got an ipass many moons ago.

You're in luck, they seem to have given up and changed their policy.

From the tollway's website, no mention of the limited number anymore:

Sometimes tolls do not post to your account at the time of the transaction. This happens because the transponder signal was not read. Transponder signals are not read because of a missing, improperly mounted or an inactive transponder. These transactions are digitally recorded ( a photo of the license plate) and later matched to the license plate on your I-PASS account. The toll is then posted to your account. These digitally recorded tolls are referred to as Vtolls.

Caddy_V

Reaction score
Thanks, i will not be installing the transponder. If i should get a fine i will post it in the forum.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Mine doesn't work in the center console. It works if I lay it on the dash though for road trips

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
No problems with the 3 cars I have. I keep my transponder in a junk drawer at my house. All cars are registered, but when I didn't have my bimmer registered I got a ticket with a bunch of fines. I called up and gave them my ipass info and they dropped the fines and just charged me for the tolls.

ThirdgenTa

Reaction score
I just hold it up to the window when I'm going passed a toll :dunno:
This is what I do, once in a while, when I feel like it.
But more often then not I just go through it.
I remember when I would try and pull my ipass out of my pocket on the bike while riding and after 2 times I just said fuck it. Never use it on the bike ever in 4 years. Nobody has said anything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom