Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Very simple to use, very simple to modify to your liking. Jump to it via this link.

If you're on the desktop, the chat is easy to access. Just hit the Chat button in the top navigation.

1586464658992.png

Once there, you have a bunch of user customizable options that can be found at the top right of the chat box, including where YOU want the chat box to appear, notification sounds, etc. By default, once you enter the chat, there is a persistent bar at the bottom of the site (on both desktop and mobile), so that you can access the chat from any page on the site, as well as see any new comments. It is a floating box so tapping out of it returns you to wherever you were on the site.

1586464777396.png

On mobile, the chat can be access by hitting the navigation at the top left of the site. Once in the chat, the persistent bar will appear at the bottom of the page. See the comment above for how to change it to your liking. One thing of note on mobile, if you click the toggle on the persistent bar, you will be logged out of the chat. However, you can quickly re-enable it just by scrolling to the bottom of the site.

Tips:
  • Typing /help in the box will give you a list of commands you can use. Extremely useful.
  • Hovering over the timestamp will give you options for individual comments, including your own (reactions, quotes, edit, etc).

Pretty much everything about the chat is customizable on the user end. I'm still making changes as needed. One thing that could be cool. is that the chat can be tied to a thread (the shout box for example) and comments in the chat box can be cross posted to that thread. I have not tested it yet but could be a way of keeping a shout box thread active at all times.

Any questions, post up.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Wombat and I have been working on the chat box today but just realized its basically unusable on mobile right now...unless you go to the chat page directly...the pop up box is fucked as the green bar covers the input field. Sooooooooooooooooooooooo fuck.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Exactly. The multi quote is also inserting quotes into the chat as well. The site is confusing that box as the thread reply box.

I THOUGHT I could manually add the chatbox to the whats new page as a widget, but that didnt work....and the only way to get it to show on that page is by setting the "display" to below breadcrumb, which dumps it on EVERY page on the site.

I'm getting very frustrated.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Moved the chat to its own dedicated page... If you're on mobile, you'll have to access it via the hamburger menu at the top left (I'll toss up a quicker way, shortly). Its been causing issues and I'm not sure if it's something I did, a conflict with another add-on or a template modification that I made awhile back... But I'm done getting aggravated with it.

Thread Info