Introducing TCG Chat

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Very simple to use, very simple to modify to your liking. Jump to it via this link.

If you're on the desktop, the chat is easy to access. Just hit the Chat button in the top navigation.

1586464658992.png

Once there, you have a bunch of user customizable options that can be found at the top right of the chat box, including where YOU want the chat box to appear, notification sounds, etc. By default, once you enter the chat, there is a persistent bar at the bottom of the site (on both desktop and mobile), so that you can access the chat from any page on the site, as well as see any new comments. It is a floating box so tapping out of it returns you to wherever you were on the site.

1586464777396.png

On mobile, the chat can be access by hitting the navigation at the top left of the site. Once in the chat, the persistent bar will appear at the bottom of the page. See the comment above for how to change it to your liking. One thing of note on mobile, if you click the toggle on the persistent bar, you will be logged out of the chat. However, you can quickly re-enable it just by scrolling to the bottom of the site.

Tips:
  • Typing /help in the box will give you a list of commands you can use. Extremely useful.
  • Hovering over the timestamp will give you options for individual comments, including your own (reactions, quotes, edit, etc).

Pretty much everything about the chat is customizable on the user end. I'm still making changes as needed. One thing that could be cool. is that the chat can be tied to a thread (the shout box for example) and comments in the chat box can be cross posted to that thread. I have not tested it yet but could be a way of keeping a shout box thread active at all times.

Any questions, post up.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Answered my own
What was it? Just in case its helpful for me. I haven't played around with it too much yet today, just basic functionality tests.

DEEZUZ

He's/him/his/penis
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm so fucking happy about this

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Also on mobile, you can turn it off by sliding the button on the bottom right.

And you can turn it on at the bottom of any page by clicking "enable chat".

PANDA

Reaction score
Didn't we have this back in the day?

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
We had a very basic one on vbulletin, ya.

DEEZUZ

He's/him/his/penis
Donating Member
Reaction score
Where the fuck did it go

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
What was it? Just in case its helpful for me. I haven't played around with it too much yet today, just basic functionality tests.
Meh no biggie. Seemed clunky at first and was freaking out about it.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Meh no biggie. Seemed clunky at first and was freaking out about it.
If youre on the phone, its not SUPER intuitive unless you open the chat standalone (as opposed to having it float over the forum) or manually pin it someplace on the site. Otherwise, its pretty smooth. Mostly.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Working on updates to visuals on both desktop and mobile. You'll see features coming and going over the course of the next few days.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
I thought we didn’t do the chat long last time because it takes away from posts. Or is this to compete more with FB?

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Figured out what Desktop Notifications do. It seems like if youre on another tab (other than TCG), and a chat comes in, it will trigger the notification. Just happened now. So theres that at least.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Wombat and I have been working on the chat box today but just realized its basically unusable on mobile right now...unless you go to the chat page directly...the pop up box is fucked as the green bar covers the input field. Sooooooooooooooooooooooo fuck.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Figured out a solution that I think will work best for both desktop and mobile users. Chat is turned off for regular members for now. Will turn back on in the morning. Doing some testing and cleanup.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Chat should be back on for everyone.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
For whatever reason, the chat won't enable for guests....but thats not really a big deal since guests cant post in it anyway. I've gone ahead and disabled chats for guests for the time being.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
This chat is giving me far more problems than I was hoping. For now, it will reside only on the forum home page.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What issues were you having? I could never put my finger on it, but sometimes I’d hit latest post on a thread from new posts and it would go to the chatbox at the top of that thread.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Exactly. The multi quote is also inserting quotes into the chat as well. The site is confusing that box as the thread reply box.

I THOUGHT I could manually add the chatbox to the whats new page as a widget, but that didnt work....and the only way to get it to show on that page is by setting the "display" to below breadcrumb, which dumps it on EVERY page on the site.

I'm getting very frustrated.

OP
Mook

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
Moved the chat to its own dedicated page... If you're on mobile, you'll have to access it via the hamburger menu at the top left (I'll toss up a quicker way, shortly). Its been causing issues and I'm not sure if it's something I did, a conflict with another add-on or a template modification that I made awhile back... But I'm done getting aggravated with it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom