Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
The fact that this has a 73% on rotten tomatoes is :rofl:

I did have some gripes with the design. The robot design was just plain weird. The foreshadowing was pretty heavy in spots.

Some scenes had pretty crushed blacks with blurry camera work. But that could have been the particular print used by that IMAX. going to see it again with friends later this week.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I did have some gripes with the design. The robot design was just plain weird. The foreshadowing was pretty heavy in spots.

Some scenes had pretty crushed blacks with blurry camera work. But that could have been the particular print used by that IMAX. going to see it again with friends later this week.

I didn't notice anything like that :dunno: I thought the way it looked was one of its strongest points.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
I didn't notice anything like that :dunno: I thought the way it looked was one of its strongest points.

The image quality issue could have been specific to the print that theater was using. It was only in certain spots though, specifically the scenes not shot with IMAX cameras. It was most noticeable in the lower light outside shots. Blacks were too thick, and detail was blurred.

The rest is just my opinion and overall really doesn't impact my enjoyment of the movie. Would still see again, and will still own once it is released.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So basically the movie is showing a modern day over cropping "Dust Bowl" problem like in the 1930's and they have to go to space to save everyone form starving? lol

Its explained away as some sort of organism that breaths nitrogen (so its really happy with our atmosphere). So the air is getting thinner and crop yields are getting smaller.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The fact that this has a 73% on rotten tomatoes is :rofl:

First critics hated on Nolan for his movies not having emotion, and being too cold and lacking heart. Now when he introduces it (and does it well), they hate on it b/c it "took away from the story (or hurt it)."

I genuinely cared for the characters in this movie. My heart raced when theirs did, I held back tears (fuck it) when Cooper was watching all the messages, I held my breath when Cooper did something towards the end.

It added to the story, not took away from it.

The robot design was just plain weird.

I actually liked the quirky design. It went out of the conventional thoughts of robots and made them very computer like. It was definitely something different and I think it worked well.

I really didnt notice too much. The screen at the IMAX I went to was a bit used and you could tell. It didnt help we got there late and sat towards the front. Any screen blemishes were immediately apparent.

If I had any gripes at all, one would be Mcconaughey now classic soft voice. It worked in some scenes, in others I kept thinking of his dumb lincoln commercials. The other gripe was the ending....I cant put my finger on exactly what bugged me, but something did. But it wasnt in a negative way. Its hard to explain.

Overall, I think the mixed reviews are critics trying to pick it apart b/c of the massive hype behind the film. It was a grand adventure and I loved it.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill

I remember Blight from school with the Dust Bowl. But they explained it like it was a slightly different organism that was breathing on Nitrogen and going to eventually cause the biosphere to suffocate life. Which was different to what I remember reading about blight. But thats okay.

What I DID just learn though is that all of those interview shots with the older people talking about the conditions? Those are real interviews from a documentary about the Dust Bowl. That I didn't know and think is incredibly awesome. No fiction needed there, they are talking about their real experiences in the Dust Bowl.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I remember Blight from school with the Dust Bowl. But they explained it like it was a slightly different organism that was breathing on Nitrogen and going to eventually cause the biosphere to suffocate life. Which was different to what I remember reading about blight. But thats okay.

What I DID just learn though is that all of those interview shots with the older people talking about the conditions? Those are real interviews from a documentary about the Dust Bowl. That I didn't know and think is incredibly awesome. No fiction needed there, they are talking about their real experiences in the Dust Bowl.

i like how they did that as well. i was wondering if they were real interviews from it as well.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Just saw the movie, loved it, except I have one MAJOR gripe. Spoiler below.

So he went into a black hole and communicated to his previous self and daughter using gravity. The question is, how? The entire reason he's even in the black hole is because he read coordinates to get to NASA. Without those coordinates, he never would have made it to the black hole meaning he never would have messaged himself.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
CO1ljcF.jpg

[MENTION=239]Turk[/MENTION]

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i like the graphic although on the left the black hole is a wormhole. gargantua is a black hole.

agree with turk on time paradox, where does it start?

i think the general theory or relativity allows us to travel into the future, if we are going fast enough. or with black hole warping time. does anything allow us to go backwards? they had something about gravity being able to, are there really any theories on that? maybe the gravity backwards is not science at all, and the time paradox is not one that could really exist or need a start, and that is just plot for the movie. maybe same with the black hole acting as wormhole too and depositing cooper by the cooper station?

maybe the science is good for
describing wormhole - entry/exit
describing how time/light behave near black hole

movie freedom for
backwards time travel - of anything
passing through black hole

??

Thread Info