• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Intermittent starting issue - Mustang

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
What are the first things I should be looking at?

It seems to have gotten worse lately, but sometimes the car won't start right away. It's completely random too. There aren't any issues with it running, but sometimes it just won't start right away. I might have to try 2-10 times. I did get a P0300 (random misfire) code a few weeks ago that I cleared...and it hasn't returned. The car has roughly 27k miles.

Do I start with the battery? Then starter? What else?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
What are the first things I should be looking at?

It seems to have gotten worse lately, but sometimes the car won't start right away. It's completely random too. There aren't any issues with it running, but sometimes it just won't start right away. I might have to try 2-10 times. I did get a P0300 (random misfire) code a few weeks ago that I cleared...and it hasn't returned. The car has roughly 27k miles.

Do I start with the battery? Then starter? What else?

Does it turn over every time you try or just clunk when you push the button?

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I had the 'detect key' thing quite a while back where I had to re-program it via the cup holder.

There aren't any pop up's with an error message on the dash.

I believe I have a multimeter at home. Are there ones for cars and ones for home electrical? Or one and the same?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I had the 'detect key' thing quite a while back where I had to re-program it via the cup holder.

There aren't any pop up's with an error message on the dash.

I believe I have a multimeter at home. Are there ones for cars and ones for home electrical? Or one and the same?

Most are AC/DC just switch it to 12volts

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Had the battery and alternator checked at Autozone. I just pulled up with the car and he tested it right there, said everything looked good.

I left it on the trickle last night. When I hooked it up, it didn't look like it had a full charge though. When I disconnected, it had a full charge. So I guess I'll keep an eye on it. It started right up this morning.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'm wondering if the oil change place I went today gave me some discount. My oil change on the Mustang was only $79.61. The guys there were kind of fussing over the car. But I wouldn't think they'd have any discretion on what to charge a customer. I was expecting almost twice that much for an oil change.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
I'm wondering if the oil change place I went today gave me some discount. My oil change on the Mustang was only $79.61. The guys there were kind of fussing over the car. But I wouldn't think they'd have any discretion on what to charge a customer. I was expecting almost twice that much for an oil change.
$160.00 oil change best come with a reach around or something!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info