intermittent fasting / time restricted eating

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
anyone try anything along these lines? don't have much interest in the serious fasting methinks, but curious about the time restricted eating.

i typically eat whatever i want whenever i want, including times i know are bad.

this will be made harder now that i'm eating out all the time but also in SE asia and working US hours; my options will go from cities with 24/7 restaurants to places where it's only mcd's open 24 hours to places where no kitchen is open during my waking business hours, so not sure how i might arrange this.

anyway, current 8am-5pm central replication is my 10pm-7am.
i'm trying to eat only from 9:30pm to 7:30am giving me a time restricted window of 10 hours for eating (this would be like 7:30am to 5:30pm chicago)
some days doing resistance hiit/weights at my 6:30am
some days doing cardio class at my 7pm
try to force my sleep window to be 10am-6pm

it is ok/bad to break fast if i do something like eat 1-200 calories before cardio gym?

i'm also trying to juggle caloric intake as well. still trying to lose fat, not doing serious weight lifting but am doing some, so really not sure where my calories should be. given half my meals are like 'filipino place open at 4am', i have pretty rough caloric guesses, although figure most days i am running in a deficit, even if i do a greasy tasty boi burger. certainly so if i do both gym and cardio on any given day.

i'm sure i'm being very inefficient with both working out and food. unlike computers where i optimize the shit out of things, i don't mind that here, just hoping to make some continual decent progress.

computer science straightforward
body science tricky

Maro

TCG Elite Member
Jun 20, 2008
The longer you go fasting, the longer you're in fat burning. I usually go about 18/6, but I'm moderately sedentary in the winter.

A fasted workout would also be more beneficial towards fat burning. I wouldn't kill yourself though, if you feel like death, or light headed while working out, change it up. Test it out, everyone's a bit different as to what they can handle.

Reactions: sickmint79

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Been doing 16/8 for about a year, my eating window was 10a-6p. Helped maintain my weight (I wasnt trying to cut).
Lately last 4-6 weeks been doing 5/2 method meaning I fast for 24hrs 2 days a week. So eat my last meal at 6pm and wont eat again till 6p following day. Only black coffee and water for me during my fast. I will say this though, on the 2 days I fast for 24hrs, I can only do a light cardio workout. If I try to lift at the gym I'm weak and get light headed.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i usually take at least a bit of cream (milk here) in with my coffee. guess i'll try going black.

when you eat are you eating "normal", or extra?

if my fitbit can be trusted, the minimum i'm burning is 3000 calories a day
my caloric guesstimation is is 2200-2800 sans restricted window, figure i probably should avoid anything that might let it go lower

Maro

TCG Elite Member
Jun 20, 2008
Cream in the coffee definitely will break fast. I eat normally in feeding windows, probably a bit less even at meals than when not doing any fasting.

When it comes to diet, the goal is always consume less calories than you burn throughout the day. A good way of keeping the calories down is to eat more sustaining foods, cut the sugars and carbs. Fattier and more protein rich foods will keep you filled feeling for longer while not making a huge dent in your calorie allotment for the day. I'd say match your calorie intake to your level of activity, don't go so low that you're having problems functioning, but keep it down where you can. If you can go lower and still have enough energy throughout the day, I don't see a reason not to.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

Watch videos by Thomas DeLauer for everything Keto and Intermittent Fasting....

I just started getting back into the gym this month, and usually knock it out during my lunch break, starting next month I'm going to add IF to the mix (Ive done 20/4 before, usually from 2:00PM till 6:00PM) but have to see where my schedule is going to be for a bit because its so messed up right now.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
If I try to lift at the gym I'm weak and get light headed.

This is going to be my worry when I start to incorporate IF to the new gym routine.... I dont lift anywhere near close to what you put up though, so we'll see if I can hit the gym while in a fasted state, then break the fast on my afternoon break.

Reactions: Shawn1112

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
did you guys actually notice it was easier to burn fat or feel better or what?

Yes especially if you are doing a ketogenic diet. IF and keto go hand in hand. If you're fasting and eating a keto diet (high fat/moderate protein/<20g net carbs), and you become "fat adapted" you will lose weight around the clock as your primary source of fuel is body fat. You will also be more focused and clear headed as your brain is running on ketones.

Reactions: Maro

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
You should start tracking cals & macros first. If your calories stay the same and your activity stays the same, IF won't really matter. The benefits of IF are improving insulin sensitivity and reducing inflammation. It doesn't magically make you burn more calories or reduce your appetite

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
FYI there is no "bad" time to eat. There are some good rules of thumb, like try to consume the sugary stuff immediately before or after a workout, but whether you eat your sandwich at 5pm or 10pm won't actually impact how much fat is lost. It'll only impact your weight the next morning...which will be higher if you have more food & water in your system due to eating later

Reactions: FrenchLicker

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I do intermittent fasting with Keto as well. I don't put much thought into it though. Just eat dinner with a good amount of fat to sustain energy and skip breakfast. Basically just eat lunch and dinner. I don't time it, I don't count macros, I just make sure to keep everything very low carb and eat lunch and dinner.

Reactions: Shawn1112

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i can't go keto, i'd need a near perfect environment and for it to be effortless. instead i'm bouncing around from cities to low population islands and working my 10pm-7am and largely at the whims of whatever is open as i will not have a kitchen nor cook much even if i have one. my schedule is wonky enough that the 10 hour window is hard, so for now i'm just going to work on a 12 hour food window and try squeezing it to 10 and see how i feel or if anything seems different.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
i can't go keto, i'd need a near perfect environment and for it to be effortless. instead i'm bouncing around from cities to low population islands and working my 10pm-7am and largely at the whims of whatever is open as i will not have a kitchen nor cook much even if i have one. my schedule is wonky enough that the 10 hour window is hard, so for now i'm just going to work on a 12 hour food window and try squeezing it to 10 and see how i feel or if anything seems different.

yeah not exactly ideal, plus you probably want to enjoy local food. I hopped off keto last year for some traveling, I went to countries I may never visit again. Definitely ate well, didnt want to pass on anything :rofl:

Reactions: sickmint79

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
I can't fast, as I posted before I get sick to my stomach if I don't eat enough.

Just today, breakfast was two waffles, 10:30 a banana.

Around 12:15, at the gym had shooting pains of hunger, it subsides as I work through it.
Lunch, after my work out around 1:15 was two medium sized bone in chicken breasts.. Fuckin starving right now as my wife is Makin me dinner....

Normal occurrence for Me though. I could not see myself not eating from 6pm till 6pm the next day or longer.

Obviously if some crazy life event happened and I just could not eat I would muscle through.

In any event, I guess my point is fasting is not for Me.

Thank you

:chugger:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info