• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Intermittent AC issue -98 TA

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
So I never really used the AC in my TA up untill a few months ago and it just didnt feel cold enough for me. I bought a few cans of R134a and had a local member 'recharge' the AC for me. So it was ice cold for a few da ys after that then srarted to blow warm and not very strong from the vents. I assume it had a leak so I took it to a mechanic to diagnose. He basically said the guy who recharged the AC did it wrong. AC was ice cold for a few weeks then started to feel warm and didnt blow hard out the vents. I took it back to the mechanic again. This time they said the car needed a evaporator, I believe. They said the dash needed to be removed to get at this part and it will cost $550 for parts and labor. Im like fuck that. But they had another option, apparently they have this leak sealer made specifically for evaporator cores. They said it worked on every car they tried it on with a issue like mine but they wouldnt guarantee a fix. I figured it was worth a shot and told them to do that. A few days later the AC felt warm again and didnt blow hard out the vents. The next day it was perfectly fine, then later fucked again. Its almost as if I shut the car off for a bit it fixes itself.

I am beginning to think this is not a leak issue but rather the blend door getting stuck. Its almost like the AC is being restricted. But would like to hear more opinions before I bring this car back. Hopefully this is not some bullshit where you have to remove the dashto fox.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
How does this happen?

Bad expansion valve or cycling switch (I believe GM uses a cycling clutch system.) Watch the compressor with the car running and the A/C on. The clutch on the compressor should cycle on and off every so often. The first cycle is longest, then they should start to equal out. You might even be able to see ice forming at the evaporator inlet on the firewall. It makes most sense to me because ice would restrict flow in the duct work, along with blowing warm air. Then you let it sit for a while and the ice melts, and the system works again.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Bad expansion valve or cycling switch (I believe GM uses a cycling clutch system.) Watch the compressor with the car running and the A/C on. The clutch on the compressor should cycle on and off every so often. The first cycle is longest, then they should start to equal out. You might even be able to see ice forming at the evaporator inlet on the firewall. It makes most sense to me becelause ice would restrict flow in the duct work, along with blowing warm air. Then you let it sit for a while and the ice melts, and the system works again.

90% of Gm cars use a variable displacement pump, stays on the entire time.the AC is on. NVH of a cycling clutch system is too much for gm. Chrysler used cycling systems it for a while IIRC.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
90% of Gm cars use a variable displacement pump, stays on the entire time.the AC is on. NVH of a cycling clutch system is too much for gm. Chrysler used cycling systems it for a while IIRC.

Oh really? Not too big on GM stuff, just remember working on a couple of CCOT systems in GM cars. So it should have an expansion valve that could be stuck open causing it to freeze.

If it works now though maybe it was something else?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info