• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Installing my headers today but..

nmskull66

Blowing up one 3800 at a time
Reaction score
Ive heard that the OEM O2 sensor isnt long enough to reach the spot on these headers. I went to pepboys, autozone, oriely(murrys), and Larrys auto parts... Nobody carries O2 extensions..So here is my question: Can you drive the car with only the post car O2 sensor until i get a new one or, Can i cut and sodder the wires to make it longer and still work fine?

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
You can extend them but I'd just order an extension from zzp. You should see it pretty quick.

I would not run with the after cat o2 only. The first o2 is very important to your a/f.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Or you could maybe call caspers electronics or sinister and see if they have one you can pick up today

Fish

From the mean streets....
Reaction score
That would be quite a hike from Elmwood Park to Mundelein. You would also have to call right now.

www.casperselectronics.com

If not, ZZP shipping is pretty fast. I would not recommend running the car with no front O2.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Caspers is mundelien (spelling?) and sinister is in Hanover park or around there if I'm not mistaken. They're in the vendor section.

Zzp is in Michigan and if you ordered today you'd get it Monday or Tuesday probably

Fish

Reaction score
CASPERS ELECTRONICS INC.
1333 Wilhelm Rd.
Mundelein, IL 60060

Tel: 847.247.0484
Fax: 847.247.0483

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
SSD. Probably much closer but still a cruise. Speed Inc may have something that'll work too. I'd just call around speed shops.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Can't you extend the wires yourself or does that ruin the sensor?

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
You can. Just make sure they connections are fairly weather proof. When I got my pacesetters they came with a free o2 extension kit. It was a box with a spool of wire and butt connectors :rofl:

nmskull66

Reaction score
Can't you extend the wires yourself or does that ruin the sensor?
thats what i wanted to know... Is there a temp solution because i just ordered the extension from zzp or should i just wait until next weekend to do the headers

Fish

Reaction score
You could either ruin the sensor or the wiring harness.

Id just get a new sensor and a harness extension. Unless you have changed it recently, Im sure a new sensor would be needed anyway.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah once you hack the harness there is no going back. If you fuck it up its over and you cannot just put it back together and order the extension... If you have a lot of miles on the car get a new Denso or Delco sensor as your car will probably need one eventually.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Zzp is a good place to get an o2 also. They sell extended ones....that's what I used

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Just do that and wait would probably be best.

Gives you a few more days to soak all those bolts in PB Blaster and double check to be sure you have not missed anything else.

nmskull66

Reaction score
nah i have everything but where could i get a delco or denso or sensor? and how much are we talking?

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Delco dealer for sure. Most parts sorts sell Bosch and those are iffy. None of them will be extended so you still either need wiring skils or to wait for the extension from ZZP.

Fish

Reaction score
I think he got the SLP/SSAC knockoffs. Which need the extension. IIRC you have TOGs and I dont think the O2 was moved that far on those. I dont remember.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Reaction score
You CAN run a car without the front 02, in fact durring the winter we do it everyday, you car will stay in open loop (same as when it is waiting for the 02 to heat up) I would avoid anything over 3k rpm, but the car will run, and not instantly blow up..... just remedy the situation quick before you waste too much gas, and foul the plugs

Fish

Reaction score
None of us said you couldnt. We all said it is "not recommended."

nmskull66

Reaction score
if i run it with no 02 for 2 days (or until i get the zzp extension) i should be ok??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom