Installing MGW Shifter

spike0284

Reaction score
I should be receiving my MGW shifter by the end of this week. Just wondering how easy is it to install? Never done this before.

Thanks,
Mike

drenath

Low MPH - Rand Road Crew
Reaction score
Took me 25minutes in a parking lot with a basic ratchet set. Only tough part is breaking the old shifter off once its unbolted. Really gotta pull HARD. I had to bolt up the old handle and kick it. Make sure you use the bolts MGW gives you - do not re use the stock bolts.

doodad

Reaction score
very easy.

read the MGW directions it will be piece of cake. just take your time. i did in half an hour in my garage. directions are very clear!

OP
spike0284

spike0284

Reaction score
Thank you. I have read a lot of comments and seems like this is the one to get.

Gary101386

Just a GT...
Reaction score
Took me 25minutes in a parking lot with a basic ratchet set. Only tough part is breaking the old shifter off once its unbolted. Really gotta pull HARD. I had to bolt up the old handle and kick it. Make sure you use the bolts MGW gives you - do not re use the stock bolts.
i 100% agree...

takes no time at all!

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Reaction score
This is a easy DIY, follow instructions and take your time ;)

-=SVT=-

Gold Member
Reaction score
Hit it right on the nose with this post! It is easy with the exception of getting the old one off.:biggthump

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Avoid getting any of the old sealant in the trans. Take your time cleaning off any sealant so you get a good fresh mating surface. As mentioned, it's a simple install.

I had to pull mine on and off half a dozen times due to a problem with the spring on the 1st gear side. The people at MGW were very good at customer service. They sent me replacement springs which didn't help and then a new shifter which resoved the problem. I'd highly recommend both the shifter and MGW.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Reaction score
PS The CobraBob gasket makes it painless for the new seal... ;)

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
To get the old shifter off, grab the top of the base with a pair of vice-grips then pry it. It will pop right off E-Z, no problemo..

OP
spike0284

spike0284

Reaction score
Well, I installed it today. No problem. So far, it feels great. I love it!!!

Thank you all for the input!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom