Instagram & Email Hacked

N20GT

Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
Reaction score
Anyone ever have this happen? My wife's instagram was taken over, and now her personal email that was used for IG no longer exists. She's calling the AOL fraud dept (yes AOL still exists, surprised me too) to find out what happened to the email.

I haven't had time to research any of this yet...but I can't understand how taking over an instagram is worthwhile for a hacker.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Obviously someone from TCG since you wouldn't share photos.

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
I saw an article a while back on Instagram having a problem with hackers taking over accounts. Claimed they were being taken over for spam bot armies.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
I had a guy from Russia hack my IG one time. Tried logging in one time and wouldn't work. Tried to reset pw and when I got the email, I immediately saw it disappear. Checked the trash folder and saw a few IG emails in there. Dude had access to my email account. Changed pw to my email, regained access to my IG, then just deleted IG completely. Haven't had a problem since.

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Some guy tried to grab my wife's from Europe but IGs security thwarted it.

2 factor authentication on everything.

N20GT

Reaction score
I had a guy from Russia hack my IG one time. Tried logging in one time and wouldn't work. Tried to reset pw and when I got the email, I immediately saw it disappear. Checked the trash folder and saw a few IG emails in there. Dude had access to my email account. Changed pw to my email, regained access to my IG, then just deleted IG completely. Haven't had a problem since.
This seems like what's happened to her, except she can't get in to her email because she locked herself out of it by guessing the wrong password too many times. C'mon

AOL is saying they don't have that email address under her name...which is odd. She's had this address for almost 20 years so she can't remember what she used to set it up, but I would assume she used her own name.

boostedguy05

not well known
Donating Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever have this happen? My wife's instagram was taken over, and now her personal email that was used for IG no longer exists. She's calling the AOL fraud dept (yes AOL still exists, surprised me too) to find out what happened to the email.

I haven't had time to research any of this yet...but I can't understand how taking over an instagram is worthwhile for a hacker.
steal her photos and use them to catfish lonely men into sending them $$

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
i don't get it unless she has a ton of followers. then they can rebrand it and try to use it for marketing or just sell it. ie. sell someone an account with 100k followers on it already. just taking over a regular account i don't see much of a point.

N20GT

Reaction score
i don't get it unless she has a ton of followers. then they can rebrand it and try to use it for marketing or just sell it. ie. sell someone an account with 100k followers on it already. just taking over a regular account i don't see much of a point.
That's what I'm saying. It's a private account with 246 followers...no clue how that could be worth hijacking

Especially because the timing of the email issues isn't a coincedence. So they hacked both her IG and email.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
yah i dunno. maybe practice or for sake of doing it for ig no clue. would think there's much more value for them to stay on the down low and try to get to bank accounts or something in email.

note it
1. probably was opportunity, not a targeting
2. probably not a technically sophisticated hack, just a phish or something, ie. wifey clicked on something and tried logging into something that looked legit, but wasn't

EmersonHart13

Member Selfie
Donating Member
Reaction score
Probably just stealing whatever they can... Hoping to get an account that is big

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom