• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Input shaft

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Reaction score
This is an input shaft right?

I remember at one of the transmission shops the guy said that the stock input shafts had very little thread on them and would eventually shave.

He said the hardened ones they would heat treat them to "harden" them. Is this what u guys mean when you say hardened input shaft or are you talking about a different metal used or what?

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Reaction score
If that's a very antiquated looking torque converter then yes, that's an input shaft. There's no common denominator when it comes to failures unless you're looking at a specific transmission. On one transmission it might be the splines that sheer off and on another the shaft might just break clean in half.

On the W Bodies the splines generally don't fail. It's the shaft itself that fails, generally at it's thinnest point. The replacement shafts use a harder metal and thicker walls to prevent future breakage.

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
when i got my input shaft from intense... (after i realized the other one whos name remains unsaid... but rhymes with e e tee... was junk.. ) i opened the box to see that holy shit. it was a small piece of 500 dollar metal... but the piece to keep my car going was worth it.

arent they billet?

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
If that's a very antiquated looking torque converter then yes, that's an input shaft. There's no common denominator when it comes to failures unless you're looking at a specific transmission. On one transmission it might be the splines that sheer off and on another the shaft might just break clean in half.

On the W Bodies the splines generally don't fail. It's the shaft itself that fails, generally at it's thinnest point. The replacement shafts use a harder metal and thicker walls to prevent future breakage.
That looks to be a pump to me not a converter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom