• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

injector cleaning?

For $25 just get the reman, which really are just cleaned, ohm checked, new inlet screens, then spray tested, but sending yours out to be cleaned will cost as much or more than the RA ones.

How are you checking pattern while it's spraying? Only way I've found is with a strobe light to 'freeze' it.

As far as cleaning you'd need to fab up a self contained fuel cell with an adjustable pressure regulator and pump on it as the real cleaners aren't compatible with stuff in the fuel tank. GM X66 is one of the better readily available cleaners, on Amazon in the pint size under X66P. I've used it for induction cleaning (suck it like seafoam) and piston soaking on my Mazda. It works very well in that role, I imagine as an injector cleaning solution it also works well. I believe they say to use a 10% solution.

By the time you build your own rig or pay a shop to do it, you'll have spent more than the $65 or so those reman will cost you with shipping. Just mind the injector connector wiring, it gets pretty crispy on those things being bathed in fuel vapor for decades at a time. Those engines are sensitive to fuel pressure so make sure that's right on and lazy EGR problems were pretty common too, the valves like to not totally close.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
For $25 just get the reman, which really are just cleaned, ohm checked, new inlet screens, then spray tested, but sending yours out to be cleaned will cost as much or more than the RA ones.

How are you checking pattern while it's spraying? Only way I've found is with a strobe light to 'freeze' it.

As far as cleaning you'd need to fab up a self contained fuel cell with an adjustable pressure regulator and pump on it as the real cleaners aren't compatible with stuff in the fuel tank. GM X66 is one of the better readily available cleaners, on Amazon in the pint size under X66P. I've used it for induction cleaning (suck it like seafoam) and piston soaking on my Mazda. It works very well in that role, I imagine as an injector cleaning solution it also works well. I believe they say to use a 10% solution.

By the time you build your own rig or pay a shop to do it, you'll have spent more than the $65 or so those reman will cost you with shipping. Just mind the injector connector wiring, it gets pretty crispy on those things being bathed in fuel vapor for decades at a time. Those engines are sensitive to fuel pressure so make sure that's right on and lazy EGR problems were pretty common too, the valves like to not totally close.

I can see it running on TBI. I've dealt with enough of these to say the pattern is off. They tend to be a straight walled cone when running right, these aren't. Also mileage is shit as is power. While part of that may be a clogged catalyst, these more than likely caused the clogged catalyst.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Soaked them in some brake cleaner for a day, we'll see what happens. I didn't pulse them, but I may do so later. I have some extra cores, so no big loss if I thrashed them esp if I get remans anyways.

I also took the whole TBI assembly apart, then dipped it up in a can of carb cleaner. Not perfect, but better. Now all I need to do is port the TBI unit, get the gasket kit and stick it back on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info