giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: IZZy

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
This qualifies as a "supercar" about as much as Cardi B qualifies as the hottest woman on the planet....

This car runs a mid 12 second quarter mile at 111mph (source below) and runs around a road course 37 seconds slower than a Honda Civic (source below). Further, these cars can be had for ~$50k (I think the one above is a 2014 with ~40k miles), and they can be leased for under $1k per month. Is it an exotic? I guess it is "mysteriously unusual," so sure, but I'd put it in the same category as the Pontiac Aztek kind of Exotic.

However, it's not the fastest supercar on the block: The 2019 i8 roadster we tested sprinted from zero to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds

Top Gear reviews the BMW i8, the world's first petrol-electric hybrid supercar.

The 2020 BMW i8 seemingly has all of the prerequisites for supercar status.

A 21st-century supercar powered by hybrid tech

Despite the BMW i8 having a rather eco-conscious nature about it, this space age sports car is often referred to as a supercar. No surprise really,

The I8 was the BMW flagship hybrid supercar,

Reactions: v6buicks

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
However, it's not the fastest supercar on the block: The 2019 i8 roadster we tested sprinted from zero to 60 mph in 4.1 seconds

Top Gear reviews the BMW i8, the world's first petrol-electric hybrid supercar.

The 2020 BMW i8 seemingly has all of the prerequisites for supercar status.

A 21st-century supercar powered by hybrid tech

Despite the BMW i8 having a rather eco-conscious nature about it, this space age sports car is often referred to as a supercar. No surprise really,

The I8 was the BMW flagship hybrid supercar,

I guess we aren't "car guys" then :io:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Very well written post. Couple comments

1. Supercar seems like a very generous term here IMO. Yes it's fast to 60 thanks to the electric motors, but past that it really isn't, and it's dog slow around a road course. Exotic, sure. Supercar? Don't really think so.
2. I agree it'd be a very fun "toy" car for $50k. I think what really turned people off to them was the $150k price tag without the performance or features to back up the price. At $110k everyone probably would have loved it from the get-go.

1. I have a bad habit of interchanging the words exotic and supercar. I think it's more exotic. Is it a supercar? That's a little more abstract and open to debate. I tend to think it is just by virtue of the powertrain. But I can appreciate others might not agree.

2. I tend to agree there as well. At 150k it makes for a hard sell.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Rosie O'Donnell doing jumping jacks naked while screaming in a parking lot would get more attention than Cardi B standing there in a bikini. It doesn't make Rosie a hot chick.

That's where this car falls into. Its odd, its weird looking, it has obnoxiously poor performance, and its "mysteriously unusual" making it exotic....so it stands out, but at the end of the day it isn't a supercar. Its a cool car if you crave attention in a parking lot, I'll give it that. But any car guy knows its no "supercar"

In what world is a measured 0-60 time of 3.8 seconds "obnoxiously poor performance"? The V10 R8 of the same vintage did it in 3.7 seconds. The Gallardo did it in 4.2 seconds. Carrera Gt 3.5 seconds. Enzo 3.5 seconds. Those are all objectively respected cars. This obviously doesn't have the top end of those cars but was never really meant to either. It was a showcase of what you could accomplish in terms of performance and efficiency with what (at the time) BMW thought the future of cars looked like. And that makes it cool as hell. The fact that they got it so absurdly wrong and needlessly over engineered this car puts in a class of of one.

The i8 does it with a fucking three cylinder engine and costs less to operate than my kid's Power Wheels. GTFO here with that shit. :rofl:

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
In what world is a measured 0-60 time of 3.8 seconds "obnoxiously poor performance"? The V10 R8 of the same vintage did it in 3.7 seconds. The Gallardo did it in 4.2 seconds. Carrera Gt 3.5 seconds. Enzo 3.5 seconds. Those are all objectively respected cars.

The i8 does it with a fucking three cylinder engine and costs less to operate than my kid's Power Wheels. GTFO here with that shit. :rofl:
My car does it in 3.6 seconds.

Thread Info