I'm the happiest guy in the world!

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
wow how'd I know this car would be a piece of shit?

The engine issue is a major flaw to be sure but I still don't think the car is a piece of shit.

As long as Ford actually comes up with a real fix then I won't dump it. I'm waiting on what the official fix is before I decide on letting the RS go.

Why wait? Because the car is damned good. When auto-journalists rave about how the RS can devour curves they aren't lying.There aren't many 4 door hatch-backs that are as fun to drive as an RS. It goes exactly where you place it, and will happily step the tail out.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Serious talk. How do you fix that?

The prevailing theory right now is the mustang gasket that was used has two coolant pass through holes that passes between the bore ridges on each shared cylinder wall.

The mustang head has appropriate passages so coolant flows. However the RS head is missing one of those passages. So coolant enters the area shared between the cylinders then stagnates there and super heats till it turns into steam. The repeated process destroys the gasket elastomer there. And might be the cause of warping.

Cylinders 2 and 3 where it warped on my head is closest to the coolant passages for the cast in turbo header. So things are hotter there.

Another theory is that the same exhaust coolant jacket located near 2&3 is boiling the coolant there. The mustang had a steam pipe located there and allows air bubbles to escape.

The RS head lacks the steam pipe. So it’s thought that the steam bubbles gather there and can’t escape. Causing a hot spot to form which eventually warps the head and causes gasket failure.

I’m actually for the first theory. This is because the gaskets on Thea cars are blowing between ALL of the cylinders. The Siamesed portions of my head gasket were devoid of any elastomer between all of the cylinders.

It’s my hope that he revised gasket that eliminates the passage and adds a tone more elastomer fixes it permanently.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Speak of the devil.

26112291_10159809623385054_4873224857512449468_n.jpg

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Ya, there are all kinds of options if you want to pay for it yourself. A stock car shouldn't
need that kind of work. Especially for the cost of that car. If you are planning to make a lot of power than that is on the owner.

First-year issues are not uncommon with most cars. How Ford handles these issues is one thing. If future versions are upgraded/updated then good for Ford and Future buyers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info