đź’¦ Detailing Im just so scared to do this for some reason

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
It technically should be okay as anything in an engine compartment should be water resistant. Plug boots with dielectric grease should keep water away from the conductors.

But, the older an engine gets, the less water resistant it is. Seals dry up, crack, etc.

Some valve covers (like inline-4's) can hold water in the bores where the plugs go. And you'd have to blow them out.

Anyone with an LT1 remembers what happens if you went through a big puddle, or a car wash with an under spray. Misfire city.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I just hose it down and use regular car wash soap with small sponges and soft brushes. I just try not to blast water directly at the alternator and try to keep the air filter dry. Modern cars have the electronics sealed up pretty well and things are designed to survive road spray.

To dry it, I have a cheap 20v black and decker cordless leaf blower. I blow out any pooled up water and then I pat down whatever areas I can reach with an old microfiber drying towel.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
I thought there was a thread on here before about not spraying your engine down even with everything covered, but I dont remember if it was here or somewhere else. Everyone has a different opinion.

I just figured either cover the alternator and a fuse box and possibly battery, or just send it and dont drive the car for awhile until everything is dry. :rofl:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I thought there was a thread on here before about not spraying your engine down even with everything covered, but I dont remember if it was here or somewhere else. Everyone has a different opinion.

I just figured either cover the alternator and a fuse box and possibly battery, or just send it and dont drive the car for awhile until everything is dry. :rofl:

send it.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Put the whole car in a bowl of rice when you're finished.

White or brown?

i never blew it off for standing water (good idea) and just let my car sit for 24 hours since i've had 2 whenever i do this anyway, although i'm sure that was not necessary.

Probably not, but blowing the standing water out does sound good.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Didn't watch the video, just make sure the alternator is covered with a plastic bag. Simple Green can discolor aluminum and other bare metals, so be careful if using that in the engine bay.

I used to use the foaming cans of GUNK engine degreaser occasionally or other APC cleaners to clean up engine bays.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info