I'm conflicted - what do you think

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
As some of you know i've been window shopping trucks for a few months because I might buy one in the spring. I used to have an 08 ram 1500 and loved it, but have been looking mostly at F150's. I still like the rams but the interior isn't my favorite. I didn't consider chevy/GM much because frankly GM trucks just bore the shit out of me unless you get a sierra denali with the 6.2 and i'm not spending that much.

A few weeks ago I drove a loaded new 3.5EB F150 and it was awesome, just outside the budget, but there were no used options nearby.

Thennnn the wife was getting an oil change today and this was at the dealer. Drove it, loved it. The interior wasn't as bad as I thought, the seats were grey but everything else is black so I'd probably just eventually reupholster it and get black leather.

They have it listed at 26k but i showed the salesman comparable trucks in the 23-24k range and he said they would be able to match.

https://www.lexusofmerrillville.com...4-Ram-1500-Express-Merrillville-IN/3125810663

Compared with the ford's i've been looking at that would be more like 31-32k, but newer and with lower miles. Example below:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...dius=200&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=F150PICKUP

What are your thoughts...is the ford worth 8-9k more than that Ram?

Ram pros:
5.7/8spd is a proven combo, been around for a long time and can take some abuse
Low price
Looks sick
Aaaaand i just have a major soft spot for these trucks

Ram cons:
Basically no tech, which has never been very important to me
Grey cloth

F150 XLT pros:
The ecoboost engines drive f'in awesome, they are FAST for a full size truck (but there are cons to the EB also, see below)
Nicer interior from the factory
Lots of tech

F150 cons:
Price
Aluminum body (not a fan, just personal preference)
2.7 EB is still pretty new and unproven, gen1 3.5 has known issues, gen2 3.5 is only available in trucks that are $36k+ used since it just came out. If you get the 5.0 are you really any better off than buying a 5.7 ram?

LMK what you guys think. Also, if you're just going to say "dodge is junk ford is better" either post links to actual known issues with these trucks or don't waste your time (that means you [MENTION=7534]wolfe[/MENTION] )

Also if there are other options i'm totally missing post 'em up!

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
[MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] [MENTION=7923]CTC DEEZUL[/MENTION] [MENTION=1983]Outlaw[/MENTION]

n20gt-albums-all-picture3227-37ab1cb6-867c-40ee-86aa-618e2cb72389.jpeg

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
Really think about what you want. Do not settle. 8-9k more sounds like a lot but in the grand scheme of things it isn't. Get what you want and will make you happy. Buy once cry once.

I absolutely love my 2015 3.5 ecoboost. I could have went with a cheaper truck but I plan on keeping it for a long time and wanted one that was loaded. Do not regret it one bit.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I've had SERIOUS issues keeping cars that are feature low for any length of time.

I find that I keep cars with a decent amount of tech/features FAR longer (My current Mustang, our Cooper(s), and start to resent bare-bones cars pretty quickly.

I've seriously considered buying a Ram multiple times; but I simply wouldn't buy anything other than a reasonably loaded one (Center console, 8.1 UConnect, Backup Camera at the minimum ontop of 4X4/5.7/CC).

They are SILLY cheap brand new right now; you can get a 45,000 MSRP Stickered truck for like $32,000 right off the lot (ram), so I'd strongly recommend against used there.

You will get better interest rates, more features, and it won't have an unknown history before you.

219Cobra

Cobra Lover
Aug 30, 2005
NWI
Get what you want. YOLO. If I plan on making payments on something I’m gonna make sure it’s something I truly want. Thats why I finally said fuck it and bought my current truck. I work to hard to be driving in something I don’t enjoy. My opinion stay away from dodge or any Chrysler product. They look good but I don’t trust there build quality at all.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I wouldn't do the F150 or the RAM. Do you have any other options?

I would have suggested the Tundra, but it doesn't seem like you are into them. I enjoy mine from several standpoints. I think they are quieter and more comfortable on the interior side. Still reliable and work horses from every other standpoint.

Ridgeline?

Just did a search of tundra’s to see if there were any I liked. Seems like used wok low miles you can’t really get anything aside from a work truck for under $27k in Crew cab. The nicer ones just don’t do anything for me

tinosc281

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2005
i sold my 2012 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi and got the 2016 f 150 with the 3.5 ecoboost.dodge was reliable .had it for 5 years .bought brand new but it does not compare with the ford.f 150 lighter.better fuel mileage .better quality interior.ride i think the ram was just better due to the coil springs all around but the truck felt like a big boat.hard to stop.brakes lasted on the ram for over 50000 miles even with all the towing which was a surprise.never had an issue until it got t boned by a range rover.it had over 10000 dollar damage.took the hit like a champ.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Dodge trucks have imho always looked the best, though maybe that’s to overcome their shortcomings.

Which one has the more easily understandable 4wd switch?

The ram makes it pretty easy, it has 4WD LOCK spelled out in all caps just like that

[MENTION=7923]CTC DEEZUL[/MENTION] does that change your mind ?? :p

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info