3800 M90 Montana Van

Mattstrike

Random Crazy Custom Car guy
Feb 13, 2014
I guess I can understand why the L67 never made it in this platform, but the way it fits is like they intended to use the 3800 to begin with. It's already getting better gas mileage than I remember getting out of the 3400, and we still have work to do on the tune.

Made another road trip this weekend, I noticed that once it's heat soaked it starts to break up a bit at WOT right near the shift point in 2nd. KR barely registers at 0.1-0.2 which makes me think I've got a weak coil and some false KR, it didn't do it in 1st gear at all only once in 2nd. The plugs are all gapped to 0.035, same as my top swap on the Camaro. Going to have to hook up a real scan tool and see if anything sticks out. After 330 miles the only code it's setting is a P0140 that needs to be deleted.

The wife unit is warming up to it already. It's so easy to get the kids in and out of, fits both full size rear-facing car seats without intruding on the front seat positions, has a shit ton of space for luggage, etc. She keeps accidentally squealing the tires too :LOL:.

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
Big update:

I ordered new headlight bulbs. Because the last ones suck so bad they don't even work, those fancy fog lights saved my ass last weekend...

The short list of things to do before it's done:

-Roll the rear fenders to fit those swoopies and stop killing the tires
-Drone reduction helmholtz tubes
-1080p screen mount
-New latches for the passenger front door and the rear liftgate (haha, yeah, that was fun)
-adjust the stop points for the drivers side power sliding door
-find out why the passenger sliding door suddenly stopped working for no reason already (it was working good)...

None of those things are stopping me from driving the van, exhaust videos will be coming soon, I promise!

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
Yeah, that one exhaust clip didn't do any justice to all the work you did. Before/after/cold/warm/after and before you do it again man! Re live the 3800 Golden Era of Rasp!
And rev that thing up a bit eh?
?
Probably asking for too much when you're busy printing a nuclear sub ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TurboTPI

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
I promise you all, exhaust vids are coming soon.

Finally had a chance to address the exhaust drone.
fUp6MUA.jpg

What you see here is a short stretch of cruising during the worst case drone, and after that idle. The biggest problem is that one line that spikes between 80hz (50mph) and 115hz (70mph). But I wanted to cut down on the 40hz spike (just off idle maneuvering) as well.

Built up some helmholtzs things:
OZ9DHXg.jpg

ePSDnGV.jpg

And after:
RKgBif6.jpg

Well, I can say it's way more tolerable now but it's still there in there. Having never tried this on a dual exhaust, I figured with the X-pipe I only needed to do one side. Looks like both sides need it, or that this canned design doesn't actually work that well compared to just a standard length of tubing.

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
Rolled the rear fenders today, fabricated a bunch of metal for the exhaust stuff, then finally messed with the LED headlamps again.

Not all LEDs are created equal.

Decided to upgrade to 9007 bulbs (due to availability of better quaility bulbs)
tHWf156.jpg

After some minor adjustment, who knew these halogen reflectors could come anywhere near a clean beam pattern? Not as nice as a projector by any means, but this is at least useable without blinding oncoming traffic.
j4l8vw4.jpg

Now I just have to figure out why turning the fog lamps on makes them switch to the high beam...

Reactions: TurboTPI

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
Yeah they are good burnout tires, they are garbage Falken all seasons leftover from the STS. Actually, sketchy AF in the rain with them lol. I've got a set of winter tires to go on it once it's consitently cold. Rear tires are new, saved two of the Falkens because they were at 7/32 still. Plan is to replace them next spring.

The whole Covid thing (assuming the course doesn't change in a few weeks) means I won't be driving as much this winter anyway - so I've got even more time to get my winter beater sorted out. At the moment we really only need one running vehicle (this van) for the limited amount of driving we do. The Camaro and Trofeo are likely going to sit it out this year, leaving the STS as a backup, and my K2500 to piss off the world with it's oil burning turbos.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Doubt it, it has cats, the x-pipe muffler is basically a fancy glasspack, and the two mufflers are not straight-through style either. It's almost like the tips need to poke out past the rear bumper more.
That’ll help a lot. As goofy as it sounds, aluminum tips will cut down harshness with the tone too. Years ago, I cut up a pair of pig nose comp G tips and made them look like regular GTP tips to get the bigger inlet, keep it looking stockish, and getting the benefit of aluminum. Really hard to get that 3.8l to sound good

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
Rolled the rear fenders today, fabricated a bunch of metal for the exhaust stuff, then finally messed with the LED headlamps again.

Not all LEDs are created equal.

Decided to upgrade to 9007 bulbs (due to availability of better quaility bulbs)
tHWf156.jpg

After some minor adjustment, who knew these halogen reflectors could come anywhere near a clean beam pattern? Not as nice as a projector by any means, but this is at least useable without blinding oncoming traffic.
j4l8vw4.jpg

Now I just have to figure out why turning the fog lamps on makes them switch to the high beam...
Was meaning to ask, what brand bulbs are those?

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
Well, the Montana van is due up for another oil change. So I did the right thing and put new tires on it instead:

EIUYvPs.jpg

WwUefYF.jpg

I was a little late to getting the winter tires off, but the tire guy assured me I should be able to do stoppies now. The new wheels poke out a bit, which looks really good on the front. But I'll have to work out bump stops for the back so they don't rub the fender on those amazing Michigan roads..

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
What are the JE5s? Is that another van part or some other car?
Cadillac brake codes
JL9 = 12" brakes - essentially the same as all the other FWD 12" factory brakes except they are on every single CTS/STS/SRX from like 2004-2009 and you can find dozens in every u-pull.
JE5 = 13" from the same application, any junkyard that has 5 Caddy's has at least one with this option.

Dirt cheap way to get the calipers and brackets for a brake upgrade.

Mattstrike

Feb 13, 2014
Yeah the je5 I believe is the Dual piston iron caliper 13 inch front brakes I've had them right next to the GXP brakes and the only difference I can tell is the brackets are a little different and the calipers are aluminum on the GXP
All Cadillac applications are cast iron brackets with aluminum calipers. JL9 and JE5 are both dual piston up front.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info