3800 Illinois Sales tax and you...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Gentlemen, it's come to my attention that a few have discovered a loophole in our site that allows you to bypass Illinois sales tax. Understand that if you don't pay this, WE do and in many cases that money is our margin. Please also understand that if I notice anyone else try to take advantage of this I will cancel your order and ask you to re-place the order.

It's unlikely that many would happen upon this by accident which is why I'm somewhat brash when it comes to this. I don't have a lot of patience for stuff like this, especially when the issue has been discussed many times on this forum and I've said each time that I end up paying it when the customer does not.

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
Originally posted by Mike K@Oct 6 2006, 01:12 AM
If you live in illinois and you purchase from a business located in Illinois (internet or otherwise) you are bound by the state to pay sales tax.
[snapback]141740[/snapback]​

mmm i see i guess i never buy from illinois people online.... but i do know that i wasnt asked to pay tax on the things i got from you this spring.

Originally posted by Mike K@Oct 6 2006, 02:12 AM
If you live in illinois and you purchase from a business located in Illinois (internet or otherwise) you are bound by the state to pay sales tax.
[snapback]141740[/snapback]​

This is true! You think that the residents of IL. would get the break. I'm surprised that its gone on this long. Those money hungry SOB's!!!

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Originally posted by Mike K@Oct 6 2006, 01:51 AM
Gentlemen, it's come to my attention that a few have discovered a loophole in our site that allows you to bypass Illinois sales tax.  Understand that if you don't pay this, WE do and in many cases that money is our margin.  Please also understand that if I notice anyone else try to take advantage of this I will cancel your order and ask you to re-place the order.

It's unlikely that many would happen upon this by accident which is why I'm somewhat brash when it comes to this.  I don't have a lot of patience for stuff like this, especially when the issue has been discussed many times on this forum and I've said each time that I end up paying it when the customer does not.
[snapback]141738[/snapback]​

So, the WBS site is screwed up, and doesn't charge sales tax to residents, how is that the fault of the customer?
Seems like something WBS screwed up on and is their responsibility, not the responsibility of the customer...

:rolleyes:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Normally I would be quick to accept responsibility and simply fix the problem however the problem is such that it would have been accidentally discovered and then passed around as an exploit all the while we had no idea it even existed.

To give an example, out of thousands of orders a fraction of 1% get processed with this particular anomoly. Of that fraction 90% of the orders are from Illinois.

We've been aware of the loophole for about a month now and I wrote it off as coincidence until I heard from the grapevine that this was being passed around as an exploit to bypass the tax. Combine that with the fact that we've had discussions about who pays sales tax and why it has to be paid and I admit it got my blood boiling, especially considering that some of the guys doing this were already using coupon codes that gave them a significant savings.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by Mike K@Oct 9 2006, 12:17 AM
Normally I would be quick to accept responsibility and simply fix the problem however the problem is such that it would have been accidentally discovered and then passed around as an exploit all the while we had no idea it even existed. 

To give an example, out of thousands of orders a fraction of 1% get processed with this particular anomoly.  Of that fraction 90% of the orders are from Illinois. 

We've been aware of the loophole for about a month now and I wrote it off as coincidence until I heard from the grapevine that this was being passed around as an exploit to bypass the tax.  Combine that with the fact that we've had discussions about who pays sales tax and why it has to be paid and I admit it got my blood boiling, especially considering that some of the guys doing this were already using coupon codes that gave them a significant savings.
[snapback]141908[/snapback]​

#1, it wasnt me. B)

#2, they could have gone to zzp. :lolsign:

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Originally posted by Mike K@Oct 9 2006, 01:17 AM

To give an example, out of thousands of orders a fraction of 1% get processed with this particular anomoly.  Of that fraction 90% of the orders are from Illinois. 

We've been aware of the loophole for about a month now and I wrote it off as coincidence until I heard from the grapevine that this was being passed around as an exploit to bypass the tax.  Combine that with the fact that we've had discussions about who pays sales tax and why it has to be paid and I admit it got my blood boiling, especially considering that some of the guys doing this were already using coupon codes that gave them a significant savings.
[snapback]141908[/snapback]​

Well, I imagine this has been the case for quite awhile...
Both items I've bought from WBS were charged to me without sales tax. For the record, I had never heard from anyone that this was either common/uncommon, and whether this was supposed to happen or not. I just ASSumed that it was supposed to work as such...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info