• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

    IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Illinois Sales tax and you...

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Joined
Apr 11, 2008
Messages
12,799
Reaction score
18
Gentlemen, it's come to my attention that a few have discovered a loophole in our site that allows you to bypass Illinois sales tax. Understand that if you don't pay this, WE do and in many cases that money is our margin. Please also understand that if I notice anyone else try to take advantage of this I will cancel your order and ask you to re-place the order.

It's unlikely that many would happen upon this by accident which is why I'm somewhat brash when it comes to this. I don't have a lot of patience for stuff like this, especially when the issue has been discussed many times on this forum and I've said each time that I end up paying it when the customer does not.
 

chipmonk212121

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
2,731
Reaction score
0
hmm, never had to pay sales tax on anything ive bought online, ever.... didnt know you had to.
 

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Joined
Apr 11, 2008
Messages
12,799
Reaction score
18
If you live in illinois and you purchase from a business located in Illinois (internet or otherwise) you are bound by the state to pay sales tax.
 

chipmonk212121

Well-known member
Joined
May 28, 2007
Messages
2,731
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Mike K@Oct 6 2006, 01:12 AM
If you live in illinois and you purchase from a business located in Illinois (internet or otherwise) you are bound by the state to pay sales tax.
[snapback]141740[/snapback]​
mmm i see i guess i never buy from illinois people online.... but i do know that i wasnt asked to pay tax on the things i got from you this spring.
 

Edmond

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 9, 2008
Messages
179
Reaction score
0
Legally, you're supposed to pay tax on out of state online purchases as well but most people don't. It's up to the person who buys it to report it and pay it at the end of the year.
 

Racer X

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 19, 2008
Messages
175
Reaction score
0
Location
Out on the track.
Originally posted by Mike K@Oct 6 2006, 02:12 AM
If you live in illinois and you purchase from a business located in Illinois (internet or otherwise) you are bound by the state to pay sales tax.
[snapback]141740[/snapback]​



This is true! You think that the residents of IL. would get the break. I'm surprised that its gone on this long. Those money hungry SOB's!!!
 

[email protected]

Somebody buy this thing
Joined
Nov 26, 2007
Messages
2,871
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Mike K@Oct 6 2006, 01:51 AM
Gentlemen, it's come to my attention that a few have discovered a loophole in our site that allows you to bypass Illinois sales tax.  Understand that if you don't pay this, WE do and in many cases that money is our margin.  Please also understand that if I notice anyone else try to take advantage of this I will cancel your order and ask you to re-place the order.

It's unlikely that many would happen upon this by accident which is why I'm somewhat brash when it comes to this.  I don't have a lot of patience for stuff like this, especially when the issue has been discussed many times on this forum and I've said each time that I end up paying it when the customer does not.
[snapback]141738[/snapback]​
So, the WBS site is screwed up, and doesn't charge sales tax to residents, how is that the fault of the customer?
Seems like something WBS screwed up on and is their responsibility, not the responsibility of the customer...

:rolleyes:
 

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Joined
Apr 11, 2008
Messages
12,799
Reaction score
18
Normally I would be quick to accept responsibility and simply fix the problem however the problem is such that it would have been accidentally discovered and then passed around as an exploit all the while we had no idea it even existed.

To give an example, out of thousands of orders a fraction of 1% get processed with this particular anomoly. Of that fraction 90% of the orders are from Illinois.

We've been aware of the loophole for about a month now and I wrote it off as coincidence until I heard from the grapevine that this was being passed around as an exploit to bypass the tax. Combine that with the fact that we've had discussions about who pays sales tax and why it has to be paid and I admit it got my blood boiling, especially considering that some of the guys doing this were already using coupon codes that gave them a significant savings.
 

gtphale

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 9, 2008
Messages
1,578
Reaction score
0
Location
Aurora
Good thing your moving to STL that way IL guys won't have to pay sales tax. :p
 

Fish

From the mean streets....
Joined
Aug 3, 2007
Messages
36,102
Reaction score
16
Location
Chiraq
Originally posted by Mike K@Oct 9 2006, 12:17 AM
Normally I would be quick to accept responsibility and simply fix the problem however the problem is such that it would have been accidentally discovered and then passed around as an exploit all the while we had no idea it even existed. 

To give an example, out of thousands of orders a fraction of 1% get processed with this particular anomoly.  Of that fraction 90% of the orders are from Illinois. 

We've been aware of the loophole for about a month now and I wrote it off as coincidence until I heard from the grapevine that this was being passed around as an exploit to bypass the tax.  Combine that with the fact that we've had discussions about who pays sales tax and why it has to be paid and I admit it got my blood boiling, especially considering that some of the guys doing this were already using coupon codes that gave them a significant savings.
[snapback]141908[/snapback]​

#1, it wasnt me. B)

#2, they could have gone to zzp. :lolsign:
 

[email protected]

Somebody buy this thing
Joined
Nov 26, 2007
Messages
2,871
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Mike K@Oct 9 2006, 01:17 AM
Normally I would be quick to accept responsibility and simply fix the problem however the problem is such that it would have been accidentally discovered and then passed around as an exploit all the while we had no idea it even existed. 

To give an example, out of thousands of orders a fraction of 1% get processed with this particular anomoly.  Of that fraction 90% of the orders are from Illinois. 

We've been aware of the loophole for about a month now and I wrote it off as coincidence until I heard from the grapevine that this was being passed around as an exploit to bypass the tax.  Combine that with the fact that we've had discussions about who pays sales tax and why it has to be paid and I admit it got my blood boiling, especially considering that some of the guys doing this were already using coupon codes that gave them a significant savings.
[snapback]141908[/snapback]​

Well, I imagine this has been the case for quite awhile...
Both items I've bought from WBS were charged to me without sales tax. For the record, I had never heard from anyone that this was either common/uncommon, and whether this was supposed to happen or not. I just ASSumed that it was supposed to work as such...
 

Mike K

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Joined
Apr 11, 2008
Messages
12,799
Reaction score
18
Mat, both of your orders were on the old site which we knew had sales tax issues.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom