If you had to talk someone out of a ZR2 at the moment

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
So I'm a moron when it comes to current trucks. I know how shit works, I'm just aloof to what sort of issues, current events, etc are going on with which manufacturer's offerings at each size/trim level.

If a person approached you and said they were about to get a diesel ZR2, would there be gotchas you would want them to know about first? Severe reliability problems, denied claims or service for dumb shit (a la N54 HPFP early adopter shit or RS head gasket shit), parts falling off on the freeway, stuff like that....? Parts availability issues? Towing/hauling/power specs that aren't true? Features that don't work or struggle to work? And I'm not just talking about ZR2 specifics, I'm also asking about baby Duramax specifics, Colorado/Canyon specifics, etc...

Use cases would be regular truck shit, daily shit, and vacations to run over some shit every once in a while.

I appreciate your input

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I haven't heard much negative about them. I also know two diesel shop owners personally that have diesel Colorado's for tuning and aftermarket parts R&D and they love them. Making good power emissions deleted/tuned and no known issues I've heard of yet...

My ONLY gripe with them is I drove one and had a similar 6' 250# passenger like myself in it and we were fighting for the armrest and damn near bumping shoulders. We're both wide people but I couldn't do that day in and out or on a long road trip lol.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
I have to agree with Outlaw as a fellow big dude that wanted a Colorado. Just seems a little cramped but overall very nice.

A former coworker had a Z71 with the diesel and he loves it. Reliable, tows basically anything easily.

The biggest gripe I have with the Colorado/Canyon, and I know you are talking ZR2 so different ballpark, is the fact that I could go into a dealership and pay less for a better optioned Sierra/Silverado with the same towing capacity and more room.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Do you have bigger tires on it? 31" stock isnt that tall. You shouldnt have a problem getting in.

This truck should have good resale but I have a hard time buying it when the full size is so close on price. I also want nothing to do with diesel problems.

id honestly bet it's harder to get into a new zr2 without running boards than a raptor...

fuckers are tall as fuck.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Stock tires for now and I don't think I'll be getting 33s until I figure out a good way to do it... I had thought that 1" leveling in front plus a bit of trimming would do the trick but they (Rough Country) say then I'll have CV issues so... yeah I don't really want that. What would you have to do to make that right? Longer axles? I guess I'd like to eventually figure out a solution but there doesn't seem to be anything solid currently that I know of.

And it isn't necessarily a crazy bitch to get into, I kind of do a modified can can and slide up the edge of the seat but I know that's going to do work on that leather on the edge I slide over. And I slide out too. So I'd like to figure out a solution.

I feel like they put the seats as close to the middle and as far from the doors as they possibly could, too. That doesn't help getting in and I really get what you guys were talking about with the seating arrangement being really narrow. And the door cards remind me of my non premium S197 Coyote which is a bad thing, so I'll probably cover them with something more bougie.

Funny DEF was mentioned in this thread too because the dealer they got it from let the DEF sit and it fucked the whole DEF system, so they're currently replacing the whole damn DEF everything and have me in a V6 CCSB ZR2 in the meantime. I'm pretty impressed with the pep it's got. It isn't slow but it seems a bit gruff sounding when you're not hard on the accelerator which isn't terrible, but at times I wish it was a bit quieter in that regard. I don't know how the volume compares to the diesel.

It seems pretty small from the inside, smaller than I thought it would.

Again, thanks for the input, it was spot on.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info