Drag to reposition cover

BUILD IDAFC21's 2014 BMW M235i

DanJ

>
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
It’s kind of a goofy system. I have an aluminum wheel hanger bar I thread into one of the holes that makes changing wheels a ton easier. Before that I’d just hold the wheel up with my foot while trying to get the wheel bolts in.

E69C0C0F-1FB5-4E4D-B704-03DD5A30F462.jpeg

OP
IDAFC21

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
I've got a few of those now. Definitely makes it so much easier to get a wheel on

EmersonHart13

UNSUBSCRIBE
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna need to see a side by side with you know what.... Get them both out in the daylight!

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
Donating Member
Reaction score
If you've got room for 5-10mm spacers, what if you went 265/35 in the rear for beef and slightly taller to fill in, or are you saying the inner wheel well is too tight up front with the new 235 size?

OP
IDAFC21

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna need to see a side by side with you know what.... Get them both out in the daylight!
That might could be arranged. The GTO has already been out on the road once today 😲

But I should just sell it because it NEVER moves.

OP
IDAFC21

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
If you've got room for 5-10mm spacers, what if you went 265/35 in the rear for beef and slightly taller to fill in, or are you saying the inner wheel well is too tight up front with the new 235 size?
The 235's in front are just about on the limit, but the spacer makes it manageable so I dont THINK I should have any issues there. I thought about 265 in the rear because I know that pairs better w/ 235's, but I decided to play it safe. And with the minimal clearance I have on those w/out spacers, 265's definitely would have had some issues. But after I get spacers on the rear I shouldnt have to worry about anything. And maybe down the line when it's time for new tires again i'll try 265s

DEEZUZ

Yea but how many acres..?
Donating Member
Reaction score
Seriously though, might I suggest getting a wheel protector socket?

I got some spline lugnuts with my wheels and could not find a wheel protector socket so I made my own. The spline socket only slides into another socket and if you have ever used the they sometimes separate while using and fall into the wheel. I was like that shit ain’t happening with my new wheels so I welded it to an actual socket. I then picked up some 1.5” heat shrink tube and added a protective coating myself.

View attachment 79818
I put that shit on everything... Specialty tools are literally bare metal stamped steel bull shit that sharp.. I slide heat shrink over it and bam, the tool no longer cuts into hands

OP
IDAFC21

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yeah sorry brah. There was no daylight once I was done, and I just wanted to get inside and shower and drink. Not necessarily in that order...or even separately.

But wheels are on. I did raise the fronts about 3/8's of an inch, so we'll see how that goes. And I don't know why I kept saying 10mm for my front spacers, I have 12mm in front, not 10. Regardless I slapped those on the rear just to see and.............yeah no. Too much. Way too much.

So I tried out one of the 5mm spacers from my front wheels, and I got distracted and forgot to snap pics, but I liked the way that looked, so I think that's the way to go. Guess I'm ordering more spacers. And wheel nuts :ROFLMAO:

And now I can also mention the thing I haven't brought up yet that I got to finish the wheels off!

Yes, those are the floating center caps :LOL: Before anyone says anything .I did not get these to try and be like rolls royce, and I know that 0% of people on the road are going to notice that my center caps are staying perfectly level at all times while I'm moving (they're too busy looking at their phones to notice me.....or even the road ahead of them) I did this PURELY to satisfy my OCD so that every time I park the car, the center caps will be perfectly positioned. I know. Im sick.

So that's where we're at. Went for a quick spin. Nothing immediately jumped out at me as far as anything being really wrong. Over a couple bumps I did hear something that maybe could have been some rubbing from somewhere in my right front wheel, but I'll just have to pay attention to that as I drive more this week. And it didn't sound horrible. Tho when I went for my test drive and drove down my street, I think these brand new sitcky tires picked up EVERY rock and piece of gravel and flung it all over the sides and underside of my car. I forget how sticky these tires are when they're new and actually have grip.

OP
IDAFC21

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Car looks awesome and I’m glad you went with an OEM looking center cap on those wheels. Looks factory!
Thanks Jim! And yeah, OEM center cap was a must.

I also want to add this "hyper black" definitely is a curious color. In low light it definitely takes on more gunmetal tones, but out in sunlight the silver really starts to shine thru. Glad I went w/ this. I'll be happy with it until I decide to seek out powder coaters.

ChrisRac

Still not Italian
Donating Member
Reaction score
Looks great Paul. Now tint those front windows!

also, what sticky tire are you running? I can feel a little slippage when I whip them corners so I’m starting to think I’m due for new tires soon.

OP
IDAFC21

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
Looks great Paul. Now tint those front windows!

also, what sticky tire are you running? I can feel a little slippage when I whip them corners so I’m starting to think I’m due for new tires soon.

They are tinted 😟 Obviously not as much as the rears, but the lighting is probably making it look funky.

Tires are Michelin PS4S. And they're awesome street tires. Especially out here since we can run them 365.

Pressure Ratio

Donating Member
Reaction score
The wheels look great on the car. With the spacer in the rear, it should be money. I've been eyeballing the same wheels for my car for a while. I like the look and the color you went with. Works well against the red. I bet the hyper black pops enough in the sun to compliment the red well. Much better than a semi-gloss or flat black wheel for sure.

The floating center caps are just next level. If I buy wheels for my car, I'm totally stealing that from you. :ROFLMAO:

EmersonHart13

UNSUBSCRIBE
Donating Member
Reaction score
Agreed on the centers, really finishes it off. Though that makes me want to buy those centers for my GTO. But I likely don't want to spend as much as you did. lol

OP
IDAFC21

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
How did the coating go?
Went great! Super easy. Just hope I got everything covered. It was kinda hard to see where this stuff was going on w/ these wheels, but i THINK I got everything. I do LOVE multispoke wheels but god do I HATE cleaning them :LOL: Hoping this stuff will help ease that burden going forward. And I think they're kinda cheaping out on the application pads. I only got 4 in my kit, and they wern't that durable. It was a stretch to get them to last for a full wheel (outside and inner barrel) I eventually want to do my brake calipers as well for the hell of it, and I still have about 3/4 of a bottle left.

The wheels look great on the car. With the spacer in the rear, it should be money. I've been eyeballing the same wheels for my car for a while. I like the look and the color you went with. Works well against the red. I bet the hyper black pops enough in the sun to compliment the red well. Much better than a semi-gloss or flat black wheel for sure.

The floating center caps are just next level. If I buy wheels for my car, I'm totally stealing that from you. :ROFLMAO:
Do it man. I think I like them more than the actual wheels :ROFLMAO:

Now for some other business. I'm definitely getting some type of interference noise from my front right when I go over a big bump, like if i drive over the drainage dips in my street too quickly, or if I'm coming down off the speed humps at work too quickly. Its metallic sounding, kinda like a clank. I can't see any signs that the outside of the tire is hitting the fender, so it might be something on the inside but I can't tell what. Tried to take a peek inside but its hard to get a good view w/ the tire on. Just gonna have to monitor that I guess. But on the plus side since I did raise the front 3/8" I no longer scrape the rubber flaps that hang under my bumper on those speed humps at work! So there's that at least.

Now I need order my 5mm spacers for the rear. And damn I forgot how good fresh tires feel :LOL:

OP
IDAFC21

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
And 5mm spacers have been ordered, as well as the proper length wheel bolts :roflpicard:

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
the Gtechniq application pads are not that great. 1 usually goes for 1 wheel. I did NOT use their applicator for the CSL. It would not have done an entire vehicle let alone my truck.

OP
IDAFC21

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
Donating Member
Reaction score
rear spacers and lug bolts should both be arriving tomorrow, despite being ordered from 2 different companies :run:

Still need to figure out whats making contact on my front suspension when I come down from larger bumps too quickly and the suspension compresses. Guess I'll pull a wheel off this weekend and see if i can see any marks on anything. I've heard it on both sides now. Seems odd that I would raise the car up and start hearing things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom