🔧 BUILD IDAFC21's 2004 GTO

General Information

Being that I have a thread for my ST that I was able to start on Day 1 of purchase and keep updated as I've modded the car, I realized, I never really made a single thread for the GTO to keep track of it's progress in the almost 8 years I've owned it now.

Never too late to start I guess! I've made it my kind of unofficial goal of 2016 to focus (no pun intended) more on my GTO again, and it starts with this thread. FAIR WARNING!! This will likely be very long winded. It's kinda hard to summarize 8 years of owning a car in one quick post. :rofl: I'm doing this mostly for myself because I just want everything contained in one thread for easy reference. Especially since all my old threads contain dead tcg upload links and I need to reupload all my pics anyways. :rant: So here goes.

If we're gonna start from the beginning, we probably should start with the before time. When I drove an 02 WRX. It started life with me purchasing it like this in 2004:

P8m3Lh3.jpg

And 4 years later it left me like this:

1GIwOGb.jpg

Had a lotta good times with the car, but in those 4 years I did just about everything I wanted to do with the car, so it was time to move on to something new. There's nothing like a turbo AWD car.......but there's also nothing like a RWD V8 car. My first car I had when I got my license was an 88 Monte Carlo, and while it may not have been a fast car, it was a fun car. I needed to get back to that feeling.

After weighing all my options, I determined a GTO would be right about in my price range. V8, RWD, nicer interior than an f-body, I figured that would just about fit the bill. I still wasn't comepletly sold on the GTO looks, because I absolutely hated them when they first came out. I couldn't even fathom that GM would call that thing a GTO. But then again, I was almost physically ILL when I saw my first bugeye WRX in person, and it's now one of my favorite cars of all time :rofl: But it was clear I would have to find the right GTO if this was going to work.

I kept an eye on the classifieds, looked at a few that interested me, but nothing really wowed me that made me feel like I had to jump on THIS one right now. I was in no rush really since I didn't NEED a new car, so I could afford to be picky. I was also scouring forums and such for for sale threads.....and one day while surfing LS1GTO I found a for sale ad, and these pictures were inside:

R8xKaGM.jpg

0YbjUqJ.jpg

oyPhIkC.jpg

QSxCNJo.jpg

YUP. That was the one. It wasn't local, but it was only about a 3 and half hour drive away in Cali. So I started chatting with the owner. He was the 2nd owner of the car, and he was actually from Australia, which is why he did the Monaro conversion. He was also a Detailer, so there was no doubt he kept the car in immaculate condition, because that was his best advertising. His reason for parting with the GTO? This was about the same time the first G8's were hitting the road, and he wanted to be one of the first owners, as he was wanting something with a little more cargo space for when his family from Australia came to visit, and also, silver cars don't really make for great billboards when you're trying to show off your sweet detailing skills :rofl:

Car that was well cared for? Check. GTO that didn't LOOK like a GTO? Check. I needed to see this thing in person, so I made the drive out. It didn't take long for me confirm what I already felt. I had to have this car.

So I gave him a deposit to hold the car while I worked out financing, drove back home, and about 3 weeks later, on 3/30/08, drove back out with money in hand to pick up my new ride. :D As I drove away I couldn't get the grin off my face. I stopped at a gas station to top off before I hopped back on the freeway, and there is where I got my very first "Hey! What kinda car is that???" Not even 5 minutes into ownership. That's when I knew i'd made the right choice.

A few hours later, it was at its new home.

ybXBuJ1.jpg

4OSi7D3.jpg

kpMUoA9.jpg

It wasn't completely stock, but being that it was a Cali car the previous owner didn't want to get too crazy with it. When I bought it, it had an intake, jba shorty headers with the stock catted mid pipes, the custom dual split exhaust with an x-pipe going into magnaflow mufflers, and a B&M short shifter. It was a pretty decent sounding setup. And would hold me over...for awhile.

Now it must be said that I still owned the WRX as well at this point. I would have loved to have kept both cars, but at the time I still owed some money on the WRX, and was really not in a position financially to be able to make payments on both cars, and also selling the WRX would help me recoup my bank account from the GTO purchase, and maybe even help fund some mods :naughty: So the WRX had to go. But for a couple months, it was great being able to drive both cars. They were both so different from each other, but still great in their own ways.

It took a few tries, but the day finally came where a competant buyer could take the WRX off my hands, and before he showed up to drive it away I took these final pics.

olmCIP5.jpg

vBSkSID.jpg

tzTNM0d.jpg

5ZRCKqD.jpg
  • Love
Reactions: RobFRC

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Here's a pro-tip for everyone. Don't own a car that was only produced for 3 years by a manufacturer that no longer exists. :rollpicard:

Here is a steering pump.

41tioMo.jpg

The cost of this particular steering pump is $400. It's an AC delco OE reman, and it's the only one you can get for GTO's anymore. It is unique to the GTO specifically, as corvettes and f-bodies each use inherently different pumps with different size shafts, pullies, belts, and outlets for the power steering reservoir.

#GTOLIFE

In the future check with Turn One.

I sent my custom 670 steering gear off to them to be rebuilt. They could probably rebuild your old one for way less.

https://www.turnone-steering.com

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Small cosmetic update - Finally decided to bite the bullet and snag a new set of center caps for my TSW wheels. These things are becoming increasingly more difficult and expensive to obtain since my wheels have been discontinued for years. Especially in the gunmetal color.

OPL0lVz.jpg

All the center caps on my wheels pretty much look like this now and its such an eye sore whenever I look at the car. Plus, the little pegs that actually hold the center caps in place have been broken on these since before I even owned this car, so they always just spin in place and are never aligned :rofl:

These new ones are so nice I dont even know if i wanna put them on the car. Just save them for special occasions :rofl: Definitely going to save my old ones tho for when I need to take the car in to get new tires put on and such.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Welp. Biiiiiiiiiiiiiit of an update to this thread. As some may remember, a while back my engine developed a not very nice noise.

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/for...its-funny-squeaky-sound-coming-my-engine.html

I tried to diagnose the issue myself and tried to stay hopeful it was nothing serious. It was something serious.

Once I determined it was something internal, I found a shop that was actually near me, and it seemed like they knew they what they were doing, so I towed my car over there and had them look at it.

What had happened was, my lifters tried to eat my cam. Well I say tried, but they were successful.

rePDH00.jpg

Pretty much chewed up every lobe on my cam, sent metal thru all my main bearings (the noise), and there was lots of metal in the oil pan.

:fu:

So complete tear down and rebuild was necessary. Now before I get any further, I DID entertain the idea of a 383 stroker. But when I started adding up the numbers, the final number that was going to be on the invoice was just not going to be worth it for this car. So I decided to go with the "cheaper" option. Thankfully the block was still good. So that was sent out to be cleaned/honed/etc.

Everything was reassembled w/ new gaskets/rings/seals/bearings/all the good stuff. With the ADDITION of LS7 lifters, and an LS2 timing chain and timing chain damper.

JU6cqV9.jpg

For the cam, he just so happened to have pulled a texas speed torquer V2 out of another customers TBSS that was switching to a built turbo motor, and actually, the V2 is virtually identical in specs to my chewed up Flowtech cam that was no longer any good.

232/234 .600/.600 112LSA for the V2, and
230/232 .630/.600 111LSA for my old Flowtech

And he let me have the V2 for cheap, so I said great! So that's the block sorted.

For the top end, I decided the 241's needed to finally go. So I ordered a set of CNC heads from Thompson Motorsports. I wanted ported 243's, which they sell, w/out you needing to send a core in first, and the price was really good compared to similar aftermarket heads. The heads I got are actually 799's, which are off the truck motors, but they are for all intents and purposes identical to 243's, especially after they're ported and polished.

wR8l4OJ.jpg

NlLRpym.jpg

bnQsdnA.jpg

Per the advice of my mechanic I also ordered up a set of larger 43lb injectors as well, and then finally, I also decided to order up Bohnman's OTR x-air intake. I've been wanting this intake for years, so NOW was the time.

NoIhdSA.jpg

sU96TLN.jpg

fq2bO6U.jpg

So there's the top end sorted. I contemplated porting my intake manifold as well and going w/ a larger TB.......but I already have the LS6 intake. And its good. Like really good. I decided that at this time, the marginal gain I'd get from that just wasn't worth the money right now. That's something that can always easily be done later if I REALLY want to.

One sad picture of a dirty, empty engine bay before the results.

f7seOur.jpg

So, to summarize, what we have here is
Rebuilt LS1 block
LS7 Lifters
LS2 timing chain and damper
TSP V2 cam
TMS CNC 799's
43lb injectors
OTR intake
Plus my pacesetter longtubes, which I already had
Tuned w/ HP Tuners

And the results areeeeee

jmY93OO.jpg

448whp/370wtq :eek3:

I was VERY surprised by that. I was expecting maybe 420. My old setup was 380/360. I picked the car up today and she definitely feels strong. Those heads flow VERY well and the car will pull all the way to redline. I am quite pleased with the results. I gave her a bath when I got home from work today and need to finish detailing it tomorrow. We had some insane winds here yesterday and dust just got into EVERY. THING. I'll try and put up some pics of the engine bay tomorrow after I get it cleaned up.

Definitely happy to finally have this car back. Tho its not like I was suffering having to drive my 235i every day :hsughlol:

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go file for bankruptcy. And also start saving up for a rear diff...

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
He needs more than a Harrop.... That whole diff is a weak point now along with the smaller 04 axles. Plus that Holden should have 3.91s.

There goes the rest of your savings! I'm glad this is back together. I am anxiously awaiting clean pictures of it, engine bay included!

Thread Info