🔧 BUILD IDAFC21's 2004 GTO

General Information

Being that I have a thread for my ST that I was able to start on Day 1 of purchase and keep updated as I've modded the car, I realized, I never really made a single thread for the GTO to keep track of it's progress in the almost 8 years I've owned it now.

Never too late to start I guess! I've made it my kind of unofficial goal of 2016 to focus (no pun intended) more on my GTO again, and it starts with this thread. FAIR WARNING!! This will likely be very long winded. It's kinda hard to summarize 8 years of owning a car in one quick post. :rofl: I'm doing this mostly for myself because I just want everything contained in one thread for easy reference. Especially since all my old threads contain dead tcg upload links and I need to reupload all my pics anyways. :rant: So here goes.

If we're gonna start from the beginning, we probably should start with the before time. When I drove an 02 WRX. It started life with me purchasing it like this in 2004:

P8m3Lh3.jpg

And 4 years later it left me like this:

1GIwOGb.jpg

Had a lotta good times with the car, but in those 4 years I did just about everything I wanted to do with the car, so it was time to move on to something new. There's nothing like a turbo AWD car.......but there's also nothing like a RWD V8 car. My first car I had when I got my license was an 88 Monte Carlo, and while it may not have been a fast car, it was a fun car. I needed to get back to that feeling.

After weighing all my options, I determined a GTO would be right about in my price range. V8, RWD, nicer interior than an f-body, I figured that would just about fit the bill. I still wasn't comepletly sold on the GTO looks, because I absolutely hated them when they first came out. I couldn't even fathom that GM would call that thing a GTO. But then again, I was almost physically ILL when I saw my first bugeye WRX in person, and it's now one of my favorite cars of all time :rofl: But it was clear I would have to find the right GTO if this was going to work.

I kept an eye on the classifieds, looked at a few that interested me, but nothing really wowed me that made me feel like I had to jump on THIS one right now. I was in no rush really since I didn't NEED a new car, so I could afford to be picky. I was also scouring forums and such for for sale threads.....and one day while surfing LS1GTO I found a for sale ad, and these pictures were inside:

R8xKaGM.jpg

0YbjUqJ.jpg

oyPhIkC.jpg

QSxCNJo.jpg

YUP. That was the one. It wasn't local, but it was only about a 3 and half hour drive away in Cali. So I started chatting with the owner. He was the 2nd owner of the car, and he was actually from Australia, which is why he did the Monaro conversion. He was also a Detailer, so there was no doubt he kept the car in immaculate condition, because that was his best advertising. His reason for parting with the GTO? This was about the same time the first G8's were hitting the road, and he wanted to be one of the first owners, as he was wanting something with a little more cargo space for when his family from Australia came to visit, and also, silver cars don't really make for great billboards when you're trying to show off your sweet detailing skills :rofl:

Car that was well cared for? Check. GTO that didn't LOOK like a GTO? Check. I needed to see this thing in person, so I made the drive out. It didn't take long for me confirm what I already felt. I had to have this car.

So I gave him a deposit to hold the car while I worked out financing, drove back home, and about 3 weeks later, on 3/30/08, drove back out with money in hand to pick up my new ride. :D As I drove away I couldn't get the grin off my face. I stopped at a gas station to top off before I hopped back on the freeway, and there is where I got my very first "Hey! What kinda car is that???" Not even 5 minutes into ownership. That's when I knew i'd made the right choice.

A few hours later, it was at its new home.

ybXBuJ1.jpg

4OSi7D3.jpg

kpMUoA9.jpg

It wasn't completely stock, but being that it was a Cali car the previous owner didn't want to get too crazy with it. When I bought it, it had an intake, jba shorty headers with the stock catted mid pipes, the custom dual split exhaust with an x-pipe going into magnaflow mufflers, and a B&M short shifter. It was a pretty decent sounding setup. And would hold me over...for awhile.

Now it must be said that I still owned the WRX as well at this point. I would have loved to have kept both cars, but at the time I still owed some money on the WRX, and was really not in a position financially to be able to make payments on both cars, and also selling the WRX would help me recoup my bank account from the GTO purchase, and maybe even help fund some mods :naughty: So the WRX had to go. But for a couple months, it was great being able to drive both cars. They were both so different from each other, but still great in their own ways.

It took a few tries, but the day finally came where a competant buyer could take the WRX off my hands, and before he showed up to drive it away I took these final pics.

olmCIP5.jpg

vBSkSID.jpg

tzTNM0d.jpg

5ZRCKqD.jpg
  • Love
Reactions: RobFRC

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Found a deal on some 05-06 calipers on LS1GTO and they are at my house... Now time to recreate all that work you did, fuck.

Awesome! Good luck! :rofl: I'm sure there are much easier ways of doing what I did, but I had to use the tools I had available to me. Just takes a lotta time, and patience. And dust masks. Make sure you have dust masks.

Finally just got my car back today after having to bring it back in for a 2nd rack since the first one was messed up. This one definitely feels better, but this time it has more resistance turning to the left than to the right :rofl: but it doesnt feel like its hanging up on anything like the other one did. I'll have to get it out tomorrow and drive it around a bit. It needs gas anyways. I'll probably drive it to work all week next week also and get some miles on it. I basically havent driven the damn car since I first brought it in for the first rack and the brake work.

Oh, and my O2 sensor codes it was throwing? Apparently my oil plug was leaking, and it trickled back and somehow worked its way down into my 02 sensor. :picard: Which I never saw a drop of oil due to the medieval shield of a skid plate that are on these cars that could block a strike from a game of thrones valyrian sword. Any leak you have just rests down in that thing and you dont know anythings in there until the next time you take it down and get a bath.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Car needed some gas so I took it out for a little drive as well. Went for a cruise on the highway and got to speeds of up to [REDACTED]. But everything feels good. Alignment seems good, no vibrations or anything from the steering wheel, which I was starting to get some w/ the old rack. And I feel more confident in these brakes ability to bring the car down from higher speeds than I did w/ the old brakes. There is still more resistance in the wheel when you turn it to the left.....but maybe that'll work its way out. Or maybe thats just the way it is... Since you can't get an OEM rack for these cars anymore, youre pretty much at the mercy of the rebuild of whoever you're buying them from. I imagine you could drive yourself crazy trying to find the perfect rack. (heh)

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Nothing exciting, washed the GTO and cleaned the interior this weekend, and also took care of a couple more annoyances I've been ignoring for way too long.

The first one being, a little over a year ago, the seat clips that hold the back panel of my driver seat on broke, as they do on many gto's, so for the last year I've just been driving the car around like this :rofl:

sr8mqK8.jpg

Well I finally pulled the trigger on some new seat back clips, which arent cheap, but I figure I better buy some now while there are still some to buy in the world. Actually picked up an extra set as well, cuz I'm sure my passenger seat is up next.

There is a silver lining to all this however, as it allowed me to fix another problem w/ the seat that I've had w/ this car since Day 1. When you lift up on the lever to tilt the seat forward, to let someone in the back, my drivers seat has never worked. Lift up on lever and nothing happens. Well since I was able to look inside the seat, I saw that the latch on the right side of the seat wasnt lifting up. There was too much slack in the cable (the white thing running across the middle of the seat and down) So I pulled the cable out, and was looking at it trying to figure out what to do about the extra slack, when I discovered that thing in the middle that looks like a sleeve, if you twist it, it adjusts the slack on the cable!! So I reattached the cable, gave it a few twists, and its good as new!

On to annoyance #2. Quite some time ago, the rubber stop in the glovebox that stops it from opening all the way to the floor disintegrated, so opening the glovebox always resulted in this.

ckU9yvR.jpg

So I popped the new stop in, and the glovebox is back to stopping where it should. Hooray!

WZn2oxM.jpg

aQHLbsK.jpg

So now the car is clean and 3 issues are resolved. Here's a few random pics.

ni5mPBa.jpg

mD5nhFE.jpg

WMTghnR.jpg

Ievj5l4.jpg

x9Pesk2.jpg

It really is amazing how much these things stand out when theres direct sunlight on the car. Whenever I'm walking up to my car coming out of a store or something my eyes always immediately get drawn to the brakes :rofl:

dRgRRcL.jpg

Now....I just need to try and get it in this week so I can figure out why I just started leaking coolant. I don't see anything up by the radiator, and it's all coming out of my skid plate......which puts it right about where the water pump would be.... :picard::picard::picard:

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Taking care of another annoyance today. Some time ago the tabs that hold the left side of my window switch assembly onto the bezel snapped off, so every time I hit the button to put my windows down it gets pushed down into the bezel. I COULD spend $45 for a new window switch assembly, but in this instance I'm taking the ghetto route first and gluing the bezel to the assembly. Should that eventually fail I'll do it the right way.

9ORf8M1.jpg

On the front of my coolant leak, my water pump was indeed on its way out. So that had to be dealt with. Kinda threw a wrench into some of my plans. But thats how it goes. I do have a couple more annoyance fixes in the pipeline that i'll probably try and tackle in the next couple weeks. Maybe I'll wait until 4th of july weekend when I have a few days off.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Well I had set out today to perform some more fixes on the car. I had purchased a new set of bumper brackets for the front bumper (which are not cheap) so I could fix the corners of my bumper not sitting flush with car. The tabs tend to break after time, and it just doesn't look nice. However I've hit a bit of a snag. I got the bumper off alright. That was actually surprisingly easy....damn thing is only held on by 7 screws. Thats it. But when I got the bumper off, after some inspection, I realized this Monaro bumper had been ghetto'ed onto the car when it was installed, and they pretty much butchered the section w/ the tabs that I thought I was going to fix. So now I must try and think of a way to re-ghetto it back onto the car apparently.

Here is a picture of my car with its' face...off!

WSBB7pp.jpg

And also as a bonus, since I've never taken a vid of the car during a cold start, here's one of those.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyG7L44mTv8

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I did manage to at least fix one thing today. Put a new door lock/knob thingy on my drivers door today. That stupid red thingy wasn't grabbing on to the post anymore so quite often either pulling up or pushing down on the lock just caused it to annoyingly slide up or down w/out locking or unlocking anything. Not anymore.

DlTG0Di.jpg

And here's my current dilemma. The new bracket is on top. The bracket I pulled out is on the bottom. The bracket itself was butchered and that top portion was hacked off. Becauuuussee...

9yuQcSf.jpg

Because this is what the inside of the bumper looks like, where there should be a tab that holds the bumper in.

AR67D5b.jpg

6t1BVhN.jpg

The inside has been butchered as well, and it seems some type of hard epoxy or something was used to just keep the ends secured.

Trying to put the new bracket on results in this.

sSiaat9.jpg

So my initial thoughts so far is that I might try to clean up the inside of the bumper and try and cut out the parts that are interfering w/ the bracket, and once I can get it to sit flush on there, try and use another epoxy or something to keep it held in place and hope that it holds for another 6 years or so.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
After sleeping on it I decided not to make it more difficult than it had to be. So I resorted to a form of the "zip tie method" that most gto owners do when their tabs break. Which is what I was trying to avoid by buying the new brackets, but I guess thats what I get for trying to do it the "right" way. :rofl: W/ the way the bumper was butchered there was just no other way.

Drivers side looks perfect now, passenger side didnt close up as much I would have liked, but it's a hell of a lot better than it was. I'll put up some pics later tonight or tomorrow. Got a 4th of july bbq to attend soon.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
So here it is.

Drivers side Before:
gDBC5iB.jpg

And after:
wT6ysU2.jpg

SJJ4q10.jpg

Passenger side before:
yhTamUc.jpg

And after:
dRw6GJQ.jpg

j0Anx3M.jpg

Like I said before, the passenger side didn't quite close up as much as the drivers side, but I think that maybe some of that black shit behind the bumper might still be causing it to sit out a little. I trimmed some of it out, but I probably should taken more out. Either way, still looks so much better now.

Here's the holes I drilled in the metal support tabs for the zip tie to loop through.

eVsQEUf.jpg

mLj0ygg.jpg

Then I drilled a hole through the butchered supports on the inside of the bumper

qA1xWN1.jpg

And here it is looped through and connected to the bumper.

ngisFqa.jpg

I ended up re-using the original butchered bumper brackets because that was the only way the bumper would fit back on the car. So.....anyone wanna buy some brand new never installed bumper brackets????

I still have one other more small visual thing I want to attempt w/ the bumper that I didn't get a chance to get to yesterday. But I'm still off work for like the next 3 days, so there's plenty of time.

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
Zip tie mod ftw. We broke those clips on both my cousins and [MENTION=11218]lastls1[/MENTION] 's front bumpers. Things are impossible to take off without breaking. And F you for having such a clean car, makes me want to finally take a day and clean mine for real instead of just a quick detailer and windex cleaning :rofl:

Thread Info