ICM "stacking" aka multiple ICM's in parallel...

More money... but more features? And more compact?

Doesn't look to have 5lbs of aluminum heat sinks and 40 less wires :)

I was thinking more like $9 worth of these wired into the triggers inside the module and mounted on a remote heat sink. Then you could run coil trigger wires to whatever aftermarket dumb coils you wanted. Or set it up for stock coils (much like the parallel modules) I think it would essentially do away with any current limiting whatsoever that's imposed by the stock modules...but you still wouldn't be changing dwell, so I don't think it's even going to burn up stock coils or anything. It's really kind of over my head though. I don't know which legs to connect to which spots on the board/terminals on the coil.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fairchild-Semiconductor/ISL9V5036P3_F085/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtKB4wrjsn3le3HuoAccVQiAPQRKWNpXl0%3d

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
More money... but more features? And more compact?

Doesn't look to have 5lbs of aluminum heat sinks and 40 less wires :)

yes, a 2 step rev limiter, ability to be modified for CNP/CPP, and internal diagnostics....
that things base unit is over an inch tall

if we're dropping $ for more features it'd be better to spend another 500$ and just go MS3pro, and get easy CNP/CPP function, per cylinder timing control/knock control, with true 16x16 tables-maf or SD, up to 6 bar, built in per gear/rpm/time boost control, traction control, AFR safety shutdown, anti lag, 3 step, nitrous controls, self tuning on-the-fly, flexfuel sensor, injector timing table, among others

but yeah, without dropping 500-1200$, I see a modified OEM ICM (either DIS stacker or CNP) and the cost of lsx coils (for CNP) as being far cheaper

the Pbucket draw sucks but the blue outlined pieces are the output power transistors to switch the coils primary side ground

the red shows the board terminals that the stainless wire wiskers jump to each transisters trigger

Make any progress with this? I started messing around with putting my car together again and am going to need to come up with something. Are the terminals marked in red the ones I would need to use to trigger IGBTs or smart coils? I may try to rig something up this next weekend.

I haven't gotten to testing those output signals...
But on Saturday confirming that dual icms will light off the spark no problem at .035 gap at 26 psi

I have a feeling that's what I'll end up sticking with. I need to go hunting for some more modules at the salvage yard though. I have "borrowed" too many parts off my car while it's been down.

The TR6 is pretty nice. I'll end up with one on one of my Turbo Buicks at some point.

Any idea what it runs for coil drivers/the current capacity? The limitation of the stock module even if we run better drivers or run them in parallel is that we have no control over dwell so can't really tailor it to specific coils or even necessarily maximize stock coils.

So I wired up external drivers today. Those whiskers in the ignition modules are so delicate that I can't see any way of making reliable long-term connections to them, but fortunately the tests I ran tonight confirm that we don't really need to. With one external ignitor, the burn time from a stock SC coil arcing from tower to tower increased to 1.2ms from a .8ms baseline (NA coils run .6ms on this same test). With two external ignitors in parallel, still 1.2ms. So that's where they top out. 1.5x output relative to a single stock module. So basically with stock coils, 2 modules in parallel should be more than enough juice. I have yet to see what a couple drivers will do with an IGN-1 coil, but for 99% of everyone blue coils and twin modules should do the trick. I also need to wire a second pigtail to my test rig to confirm that two stock modules will in fact hit that same burn time, but I'm pretty confident they will.

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
I would recommend sending Bob Bailey a coherent email if you are generally interested in the TR6 and how it works or could be adapted to the 3800. I'm sure he already has familiarity with the 3800 system. The "Type 2" ignition used on previous 3.8s is very similar to what was used on the 3800. Same coils.

Bob Bailey spends a lot of time on the boards and has a ton of knowledge and good products on the market for the Turbo cars.

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
Has anyone figured out why some people don't have to do this?

How come ZZP went 8's with single ICM and their MSD box disabled (they used it for two-step)

I didn't have to do it... nor did Ben on his setup.

Not being a dick, just still wondering why some people get away with one ICM?

What are chances that its due to lack of electronics in general? Ben, ZZP, intense cars, myself ... all had bare minimum electronics.. if wasnt used to race, its not there.

jdredd

Addict
Jan 29, 2014
Didn't I read about the whipple car having major issues breaking up at the top end before due to ignition? Anyway the point is to not have to run a <.020" plug gap in order to keep the car running right full balls out and pay for it with idle/emissions/driveability/tuneability

Whipple car had issues, but came to be wiring issues of sorts.
The MSD box eventually died too ... which is just bypassed.
I made the 562whp dyno with the MSD bypassed. Otherwise car would shut off.

Only problem whipple car has now (that I know of) is the trans slips and
belt tensioner setup could be improved on more to reduce slip.

It only runs like 0.035 gap....

Matts ZZP drag car runs a 0.028 gap and he's beyond what any of us are power wise. He HAD the MSD box but it was bypassed during his PB times.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info