ICM "stacking" aka multiple ICM's in parallel...

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
20140712_002242.jpg

Base plate for g body setup & belt wrap clearance basically done. Only other thing i wanna do is do some milling underneath or something to get some weight off it. It's fairly massive. I'm thinking just running tight slots across is lengthwise like a crude heat sink.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
turns out i am turtley enough fer the turtle club....

did some more research and development, parts designed, layed out. donated some spare ICM harness stuff since he's volunteering to be a guinea pig...

dis gunna be cheeeeep if it works out as we envision.

that bastard is gonna make the second ICM manual/boost triggered by switching on its power feed separately with a dash/hobbs switch. :rofl:

imma stack 6 of em on the TR fer moar pah

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
James, I'm gonna see tomorrow before work if I can run by the store and pick up some 90deg insulated vaginal spade terminals (probably14-16awg) and then use them to size the channels I'll be milling in the ICM's. Are you gonna make those terminals 1/4 or 3/16 coming out?

I did lighten up the base..

easily 40% lighter and it can't hurt in cooling

just in case this wasn't over-engineered enough.. I had an idea for an intermediate spacer plate to get a nice flat surface for the bottom of the top heatsink to sit onto and possibly provide a rtv-less seal for the bottom ICM leads so I just made it to see

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
ah I'm pretty sure I already picked up the vaginal terminals as you so eloquently put it....
I picked up a bag of 25 3/16 and 25 quarter inch "flag" terminals.
I'm planning on the add on tabs being quarter inch wide since its only 0.031" thick.

nice spacer for not having to use RTV... Mr "I can't have it too tall it will hit my hood"

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid

milling to sit the new terminals down right under the original seals like they aren't even there

I rtv'd the bottom and sides of the terminal and then smacked em down. Just need to to another layer of rtv over top of em

as is

everything stacked and it does clear just fine for me

it's not quite as bad as it looks in the pic between the connectors and the belt but a couple of the connectors would just be rubbing which I don't wanna chance
This is my only problem but since I love drawing & machining bases so much its an easy fix. I'm making another one that will offset everything about 1/8" in towards the engine and I'm planning to add a little aluminum mount bar to situate the two relays nicely for wiring and stuff

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
ok boys and girls...time for some ignition pr0n

dude, Cody (turtleman) took this shit and ran with it forest gump style.

how many people would spend the time to put a billet aluminum relay bracket on a 3800... :jg:

dont mind his sweet temporary ground...its keeping the second (boost triggered) icm on for stress testing....i havent gotten a call from him, so it must still be driving :mamoru:

actual coil primary/secondary side voltage/current test data will be forthcoming

i vote for his inclusion in DDR, on the basis of his love of overkill alone :hsughlol:

turtleman

Addict
Sep 6, 2009
Villa Park, IL
Real Name
covid
Ok so turns out my hobbs switch is just feeding continuous ground to the relay. I checked it and it's reading about 90 ohms in its open state. My first thought is it's defective but I wanted to ask to make sure that's not actually normal. I figured I should see infinite resistance while open. I would like to see what it reads with pressure but I don't wanna take it off the car. If it does actually work and makes a low resistance connection when closed, I could add a resistance to the circuit so that there's enough to let the relay relax and still actuate when the hobbs gets boost or I could buy another one...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
been looking through the ICm circuits, carefully removing the gel.

looks like its relatively easy to tap into the power transistor trigger leads

I think I may tear apart another ICM to bypass the output straight to the coil terminals lead

at the least I need to cut the circuits and check for a 5v logic signal that would work with the LSx integral ICM coils (5v logic goes high at saturate, drops low to fire)

at the least I need to check the signals to see if my wild idea is workable as is

it would be sweet if it was fairly easy to turn a single ICM into a wasted spark configured LSx coil setup

here's a good idea of the ICM guts

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info