3800 ICCU and Timing on Scanner

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Quick question.

On the ICCU (race unit if that matters) feature on increasing timing - does the added timing show correctly in the ODBII scan? So lets say the PCM has a max WOT timing of 18deg and the ICCU is set to add +2deg. Will the real time OBDII screen scan show 20deg ?

In my old MAFT+ setup, the timing total does not correctly show on the scanner because of the way the signal is intercepted.

J.E.T.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Excellent. Thank you both for the info.

Now, at what point in timing advance total at WOT is considered 'safe'? About 23deg? I don't want to keep adding timing (even though 0 KR) and end up with a pile of molten metal! What kind of timing are you guys running?

J.E.T.

I

imported_snoop

Originally posted by BumpinGTP@Aug 17 2004, 12:36 AM
the max i have run is 24*, but i know of others that have run up to 28*, not sure if its safe, but it has been done, i do know that the 24* that i run is safe though
didnt you spin a bearing. so how is 23* safe. that sounds like too much timing right there to me.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Right now I have peaked 20deg at WOT. This is with +6 4500RPM then gradually decreasing timing ending with +3 at 6000RPM. From my readings, it's common practice to bump up timing at the low RPMS then gradually tapper it at higher RPMS. Is this method a practice in our GTPs?

I have read at ClubGP having success with 28deg advance. I would be afraid.

J.E.T.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I would never take a stock bottom end to anything more than 18-19 degrees max. Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but you just can't keep adding timing even if you have no knock, that's how stuff gets broke. I've had naturally asperated motors using much more timing, but in a heavy automatic car (especially a supercharged one) you're physically limited by the timing you can run. You may be able to run up a higher timing number by installing the cam a bit retarded, but you need gearing for that.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by J.E.T.@Aug 19 2004, 05:02 PM
Excellent question CoolGTX. Add gearing to that list. You've got at least 3.29, dont you J/O?

I guess a national survey would be good to see how much timing is being added. Thats a good warning Ron, thanks.

J.E.T.
yes, ive also got 329 gearing and 300 stall now to add.....didnt think it mattered ;)

shifting at 6K

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Naturally asperated you can run a lot more timing. 24-28 is the average range for a well tuned NA car. With vac advance (don't know what they call it on the computer cars) should be about 36 total. The rule of thumb is to set the timing back 1 degree with every lb of boost, but that was before a lot of the good electronics came out allowing a hotter spark.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info