3800 I want to buy an engine tomorrow

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I got myself wrapped into another sketchy deal that I might regret. At least it's not over 500 miles from home this time. In fact, it doesn't get much better in terms of distance.
received_157979420445370.jpeg

This is actually a picture of the ad from the last guy who had it. The guy who has it now is parting out HIS abortion which is a Buick LeSabre T-Type. ? RIP. I was actually pretty tempted to buy the whole car when he had it listed for $1500, but another project is the last thing I need right now.

The price for the supposedly rebuilt L67 is $400 from M90 to oil pan and it still spins with a wrench. The catch is that this dude doesn't have a garage or hoist. The engine is loosely sitting in the car. I just need to separate it from the trans and pluck it. I have a buddy who wants to come help.

Is this too damn sketchy/ridiculous or should I bring it home? Yolo. I still think it sounds like a deal.

Ill bring some tools to separate, spin it over, remove plugs, and see into the bores. I wish I knew how to ID an L67 from an L36 without comparing rods. I don't want another NA.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
Borescope the pistons and you'll know quick if they're dished. Rebuilt with a new crank sounds sketch to me anyway but then again an l26 and fwd trans is goin for over 500 out here right now. I say run the l36 for all it's worth then take it into the machine shop and put L67 rods and pistons into it and have it done properly. Same thing

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Borescope the pistons and you'll know quick if they're dished. Rebuilt with a new crank sounds sketch to me anyway but then again an l26 and fwd trans is goin for over 500 out here right now. I say run the l36 for all it's worth then take it into the machine shop and put L67 rods and pistons into it and have it done properly. Same thing
Same thing except with a car that's down for as long as the machine shop feels like dragging their ass. Lol. I'd rather baby the L36 along and still have fun until I have an engine no shit ready to go!

L36 pistons are dished too though. I figured it might be tough to tell the difference at quick glance but maybe not.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Same thing except with a car that's down for as long as the machine shop feels like dragging their ass. Lol. I'd rather baby the L36 along and still have fun until I have an engine no shit ready to go!

L36 pistons are dished too though. I figured it might be tough to tell the difference at quick glance but maybe not.
I don’t know what your doing with it but my l26 was fine with 500 whp the l36 would be a bit more robust

Reactions: sktchy

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I was able to push the GN forward a foot to squeeze the hoist by. My buddy says he's ready to help even after I informed him of the harsh conditions. Lol
PXL_20230310_021839210.jpg

I don’t know what your doing with it but my l26 was fine with 500 whp the l36 would be a bit more robust
I want 600whp, stick shift, and traction. I'm sure an L36 would handle it for a while, but I don't want to risk trashing the engine. I'd like to top swap the perfectly healthy L36 with the otherwise worthless junk I have in my basement and save it for a future project.

Edit: Besides, this engine is coming out of the car regardless. I'm not doing another in-frame head swap. I figure I can pretty up the L67 on the stand while I slowly upgrade suspension and whatnot on the car. Minimized down time while still making good progress is my favorite approach.

Reactions: bs009 and Mr_Roboto

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Snow borne engine removal? Hard core.
I should ask mook for a rock-on reaction request. ? It's definitely carhartt weather today. Otherwise, the scenario is starting to remind me of my Pittsburgh trip. The urban neighborhood doesn't look like a place that anybody aspires to live, and the driveway is gravel. This will be an adventure.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
What's required to remove the "bitch bolt"? I just need a short socket, u-joint and a couple extensions right?
Make damn sure it has a factory unground on modified crank. None of the reman crankshafts hold up since they do not have the proper compression rolling of the fillets
Yeah, I was kinda suspect of that "new" crank. Worst case scenario is that I have a factory unground crank in the basement. If the bearings look good and the current crank mics out to factory specs maybe I can just do the swaperoo and torque to spec?

Any idea of how to easily ID an aftermarket crank? Which fillets? Can I just look at the snout? Even a set of new L32 rods is about $400 so I think this is still worthwhile.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
What's required to remove the "bitch bolt"? I just need a short socket, u-joint and a couple extensions right?

Yeah, I was kinda suspect of that "new" crank. Worst case scenario is that I have a factory unground crank in the basement. If the bearings look good and the current crank mics out to factory specs maybe I can just do the swaperoo and torque to spec?

Any idea of how to easily ID an aftermarket crank? Which fillets? Can I just look at the snout? Even a set of new L32 rods is about $400 so I think this is still worthwhile.
Bitch bolt is a long ass extension. And isn't really an issue if you just drop the k member and yank it all or pull the manis before goin at it.

Leave the crank the hell alone even if the bearings look good the blocks gonna twist if you pull the mains loose and you'll need to have it align honed.

For what your talking about just go get a junk block and put the parts you want in it your gonna end up in the same place.

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I haven't made a concrete decision on the big picture yet, but I plopped this thing back in the car and drove away. By the way it came from an interesting donor. Car is not in terrible condition but it's probably getting scrapped. Sad :(
PXL_20230310_221619014.jpg

Anyway, I realized on the way home that this is the 4th 3800 I've at least attempted to take in that turned out to be garbage. The first one was in 2010 with two wiped out rod bearings, The second one was 2017 with a dead hole due to worn rings. The third was free, but totally disassembled. Then there's this one which was just a waste of time.

Yes, they're cheap, but where do I draw the line? Part of me is leaning towards trying a junkyard because it will be still be cheap, I won't have to schedule viewings, and I can be as invasive as I want. At the same time, it's a lot of work and I might still get burned.

I still have the disassembled block and crank as a coffee table but I sold the rods and pistons to someone who who had money to burn. I building an engine would be really expensive and builders still fuck up too. I have plenty of time to weigh my options.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info