đź’¦ Detailing I used to be a detailer. . .

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
I was always that neighbor that was outside washing my cars as a teenager. In the late 90s, early 00's, I had a coworker ask if I'd detail their car for them. I needed some extra $ so I did. I did that a few times and then it all sort of exploded for me. Circa 2001/02, I had a WRX and joined NASIOC and starting detailing alot of subarus.

There was a local kid on NASIOC that had posted a few detailing threads and I reached out to him, we got a paying detail job and I sort of learned on the spot. I bought a Porter Cable 7424 Dual Action, a different counterweight and 6 inch Velcro backing plate. Him and I only did the 1 job together, as he was a full time student at the time and it was late summer, he went back to school. I started getting more and more detail gigs off NASIOC and other forums. Eventually, I got hooked up with some local import shops, like P & L Motorsports, Profunction, Six Star Motorsports, Garage Kwai, etc.

Meguairs #83, Dual Action Cleaner and Polish was my go to polish, but I had tons of different compounds, pads and other products. I like the Meguiar's brand, cuz if I needed something TODAY, any of the autoparts places would have that tan professional grade bottle that I could grab in a pinch. I used to drive up to Libertyville to an Auto Body Supply store on Milwaukee and buy red Meguiars cutting pads all the time.

My hangout shop was P & L Motorports.

I'd hang out at the shop after work and detail the cars of the employees in exchange for help working on my cars. And I'd detail some customer cars after a motor build or if someone came in looking for detail work. I ended detailing probably 300 cars in the years of side work on the forums and through P & L and the other shops.

I thought about opening a dedicated detailing shop about 15 years ago, but never had the guts or $ to pull the trigger and do it. Detailing is hard work, I still enjoy doing it. I recently Polished and ceramic coated my Jetta GLI. I used Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and coated with CQuartzUK 3.0.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
so this is the 3rd thread of yours that I am encountering..... Autopia . org before it spread a virus or Autogeek ?
i've seen the screen name before.

either way, welcome to the section. I have many threads ?

LOL, yeah, I'm posting alot on this forum. Yup, Autopia was my go to for detailing knowledge back in the day!

Reactions: Gav'sPurpleZ

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Put the snow tires on the wife’s car last weekend (2019 Edge ST) and I decided to clean up the painted stock 22” while off the car. 2 of the wheels have curb rash and we have the wheel protection plan through the dealer so I’ll be dropping them off to fix) but the other 2 got a good cleaning before being put in storage. Hand polished with Meguiar’s DACP x2 and 2 coats of Meguiar’s Ultimate Wax applied. Ideally I’d get a 1” polisher and use a machine on these as they’re scratched a bit, but this got them 40-50% better and that’s good enough for me.
Pics of it in both stock and winter setup and the polished wheel.

C11077BF-BD3A-462D-9826-BCC3D0F4D769.jpeg

D4059100-14A3-438D-9CE5-49548E115D26.jpeg

83FD4C3A-029C-4D69-A6DD-00EF05EDE4AC.jpeg

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Was going through my Gmail account cleaning up junk emails and unwanted stuff and I came accross this spreadsheet that I used to keep with the cars that I've detailed.

I moved it over to a Google Sheet so I could share with you. I did detail a little bit in 2010 and 2011 and would about once a year do a car for Sam at Six Star Motorsports, last one being 2018 I believe.

Roughly 229 cars detailed in a 7 year span, a majority of those being Subaru's, my bread and butter.

I still need to get an external hard drive fixed that has most of these pics saved to them. The resolution will be low, but better than nothing!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info