3800 I Tried buying a truck today ...

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
i mentioned the fact that i was in the market for a DAKOTA 4x4 ... well i found one locally..i went and test drove it today ...i really liked the truck here is a little backround of the truck ... '98 Black Sport EXT Cab 4X4 with 37000 miles ( very low) it has the small V8 everything i am looking for in a truck .

WELL .. we get in to do the #'s .. they were originally asking 12,900 ....before i even drove the truck i mentioned the fact i was looking to be under 10k out the door.

after driving the truck i found 2 very small issues with the truck . one the steering wheel is slightly off when driving down the road . no biggie probl just a camber adjustment

the other is a ever so slight pulsating feeling in the brake pedal . could be rotors .. not sure .. but none the less not major by no stretch...

i come back from driving the truck for about 2 hours ... they hit me at 10,680 out the door ...i say mmmm i dont think so ... he comes back and says 10,300 i said here is the deal .. i work 6 days a week and this is my only day off i dont have time to sit here all day . i counter offer them 9500.00 CASH out the door. they tell me to have a good day :)

here is my big question to you all ... was i being unreasonable in my dealings ? ... sorry for the long post but we are 500.00 from making a deal .my bank said anything under 10K would of been a good price . again its the whole dealing with a dealer issue .. $ 500 to a dealer is not as major as opposed to us everyday workin class folks . :blink:

as a matter of fact here is the link to the autotrader add ....http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c...8&start_year=1998&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=0#top

jk99gtp

Addict
Nov 15, 2008
I think you did the right thing. As long as you walked out you showed you were'nt just going to take their supposedly *best* deal they had to offer.

I've done this many of times, and I've almost always gotten a call back. Once that happens you are pretty much in control of the deal. Just make sure if they do call you back that you explain to them that you aren't going to waste your time there again, unless they want to take what you have to offer.

I would do a carfax on the car just to be safe, if the car is pulling it could've been in an accident in the past. Just a thought...

All in all looks like a nice truck!

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
Originally posted by MrT@Jan 22 2005, 03:27 PM
you shoulda bought it :(

dakotas have bad rotors from the factory, it's a known issue - easy aftermarket fix  :)  - could have mentioned it to the dealer as a bargaining tool

the steering could be easily fixed also. looks like a nice clean, low miles truck

BTW i have a Dakota 4x4 :eek:
[snapback]68516[/snapback]​

i forgot to mention the fact the made a final offer while i was walking out the door of 10K out the door ....is where the 500 difference is at .

as far as mentioning the little problems i found ....i did thus them dropping the price as they did . i could go back and tell them fix the steering wheel issue and i will take it for 10K out the door . it is a super super clean truck ... i was kinda thinkin (hoping) they call me back in the next day or so ...

what year is your Dakota ? anything to look for specifically ?

xttc2000

Addict
Dec 21, 2008
if the carfax is clean, get the check from your credit union or bank and go in to the dealership with the check for 9800 and they are 95% likely to take it. if they dont, write a personal check out to the dealership for the 9800- leave it with your sales person and tell him youll come in and sign it when hes ready to sell. the check sitting there with no signature will taunt him every minute he looks at it and he WILL call you back.

burtgtp1973

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
Bourbonnais Illinois
Originally posted by xttc2000@Jan 22 2005, 06:34 PM
if the carfax is clean, get the check from your credit union or bank and go in to the dealership with the check for 9800 and they are 95% likely to take it. if they dont, write a personal check out to the dealership for the 9800- leave it with your sales person and tell him youll come in and sign it when hes ready to sell. the check sitting there with no signature will taunt him every minute he looks at it and he WILL call you back.
[snapback]68536[/snapback]​

LOL .... that is classic .

the thing is i could of took the truck today for that price ... i have been thinking about this all day today and what i will problably do is go back and tell them to fix the steering wheel issue and i will meet them half way @ 9750.00 out the door. i think its fair and they should go for it . we will see on Monday morning .

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
One thing I noticed about the carfax on the other thread but relates to this one too. It dosnt mention anything about minor accidents. Only ones that would make it a salvage vehicle. Pop the hood and check the fender bolts, look for signs they have had a wrench on them. Are there stickers on the inner doors? Like factory type. If not door could have been painted. Look for those kinds of things on your own besides carfax too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info