🏡 Better Homes I need a shed

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Alright party people, its time I get some kind of shed. I know nothing about sheds, so I am gonna need some advice here. I am in McHenry county, and I believe (I will of course verify) that I can do up to 150 square feet. That means 10' X 15' would work best for me and be the max size I can go. I would like to go tall to try and get more storage in a loft. If I look at any prebuilt, or kits they are all 10x14 or 10x16, any idea why that is? My biggest question is what do I do for a base or a foundation? I would be using this to store my mowe and my ATV so a slab would be ideal so its flat. The ATV would be fine, but I would need a ramp for the mower.

What do all you experts have to say? What should I or shouldnt I do? What is the best option for the foundation (slab, piers, wood frame, etc.). Anyone have a contractor they would recomend? I am not sure what way I am going to go yet, but I am not sure I have the time to build it myself. I really want to, but we will have to see. ANyway, lets hear it guys! Post pics of your sheds as well so I can steal all the good ideas!

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Following this cause I’m in the same situation. But currently 8’x8’ and anything larger needs a permit, as it would be considered a “permanent structure”. 8x14 or 8x16 would work for all my stuff, including moving the ATV out of the garage and into the shed.

My current one sits on concrete pads, about 6” diameter and 18” deep. Threaded rod holds the framing to the concrete.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn

PORTABLE is how I got a pass. Been around for a few winters and if anything, as it sinks in, it just gets tighter in there.

No security to speak of, but that is not what I needed. I needed Squarefootage now.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

Built my own, came out a ton nicer than a premade shed.

Had a foundation poured with a concrete ramp to get the mower in and out.....

1647956242541.png

1647956257923.png

1647956293838.png

1647956350380.png

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
How much did it come out to? The concrete probably was the most expensive part Id assume.
It ended up just under $3,000 which is what the Tuff Sheds I was looking at cost if memory serves.

I had the concrete done the same time as the patio which helped keep the cost down some since they were already doing the larger patio.

Believe it or not, the doors were the stupid expensive part of the build. Had to custom order them at Home Depot, swing out doors, exterior rated, fiberglass, etc.

Just ran power over to it last year, this year Im going to run the power to the inside and put a better light on it than the solar one I have now, etc.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I was just thinking, with CS requiring a permit for over 8x8, I should just get two 8x8 and put them next to each other. As long as the doors open wide enough to get the riding mower in one and the ATV in the other, WTF do I care?
The question then is can you have multiple sheds. I know you cant in Streamwood.

I think they even dont want you to have a shed if you do a detached garage, though a ton of people do anyway.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
The question then is can you have multiple sheds. I know you cant in Streamwood.

I think they even dont want you to have a shed if you do a detached garage, though a ton of people do anyway.
Sure, there is a guy at County Farm/Woodhill that has five sheds in his back yard. All a light yellow and 100% visible from either road. They're actually an eye sore.

Oh, shit, he's got six!

1647978635479.png

Street view is older than the satellite view. One of the sheds isn't present.
1647978669457.png

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
Everlast portable buildings, not cheap Amish built with a wood skid on the bottom that has a lifetime warranty, I bought one for my last house a 10x12 was around 3500 bucks delivered with a ramp, I just set it right on the ground
This place seems pretty awesome. I think the wife and I are going to take a trip down and look at them in person and talk over the options. I built one on the site, and got a quote the next day but I just kind of threw some stuff on it for a ballpark. We need to lock in the location, and orientation so we can configure the doors and such. The price seems very reasonable though compared to what I have seen so far.

Reactions: 1quick

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
They're sheds. We thought the same thing until they had the doors open on them one day. I was walking past and they were just crammed full of stuff.
My parents live in that neighborhood. I remeber the one time I came home and saw all of those and was like WTF. I thought they may be chicken coops too, but my Dad said they are full of shit LOL. I cant remeber if it was that house or one next to it, but when I was growing up one of them over there had a bunch of antennas and towers and shit. Also someone maybe 1 street over had a cesna in the garage. That area of the neighborhood has always been weird man :)

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
This place seems pretty awesome. I think the wife and I are going to take a trip down and look at them in person and talk over the options. I built one on the site, and got a quote the next day but I just kind of threw some stuff on it for a ballpark. We need to lock in the location, and orientation so we can configure the doors and such. The price seems very reasonable though compared to what I have seen so far.
I’ve been looking at buying a 12x24 garage shed thing from them for my current house, the last one I had was great

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
i dont know what location you were going to look at visiting but they have a dealership set up literally across the street from my house. There's a good dozen plus models out there. They're in the parking lot of RP Home and Harvest in Homer Glen

Broke EF

TCG Elite Member
Dec 8, 2017
The sticks
I have been terrible lkeepin up on this thread, but buckle up cause here we go. So a while back the wife and I crusied down to check these things out in person, and we were both impressed. Not only with the buildings themselves, but also Sue at Everlast. We ended up ordering a shed before we left, but of course it wasnt all sunshine and rainbows because I have terrible luck lol. We were on our way to St. Louis to spend some time with some family, so Monday when we were back home I reached out to Sue about some things I forgot to discuss when we were there on Friday. I ended up following up with her a couple times, but didnt hear back. Then one day she responds to the email chain where I had been asking with no answer that the shed was done! Great, but what about those options I was asking about? She missed it, and they didnt build the shed with them.

She was very aplogetic, and honestly I should have called at some point since I wasnt hearing anything back. We went back and forth verifying that I do need/want the things I was asking about and generally making sure it was worth the extra money and time. It was, so then the plan was to take my shed and just toss it on the lot and fast track a new one built to my actual specs. I got a call about a week later that the NEW shed was already ready! That would have been geat news if my gravel pad was ready. We had called the guy we have used for some landsacaping the week we got back and told him its a go. Unfofrtunetely because of weather, scheduling, and generally being a small town landscaper he didnt get to us for a long time. Once we heard from him again he came out the same day to mark it all out and dig it out. It actually worked out well because I was working from home that day, and we needed to move the location slightly because of where the power and COM lines run. The next day they did the gravel, in the pouring rain, more on that later.

So now the planets are aligning. The shed was done, the pad was done, and then there was an Amish holiday. Fuck. I was still optimistic that we could get it done before we left for vacation, no. Fuck. He actually called me right when we got into our hotel room and wanted to come deliver it the day after we got back. PERFECT!! And gentlmen, today was that day (well yesterday now that its past midnight as I type this)

Lets go with a dump of pics, then I will list out the info on the shed, then more pics :)

i-wB69FGW-X4.jpg

I wish I got this on video, but he legit just slid it right off the trailer. It was bad ass
i-9KMnpdt-X4.jpg

i-tn4f49x-X4.jpg

Just driving it through the yard, no big deal
i-vWfqzPr-X4.jpg

Setting it in place
i-PCZnjNC-X4.jpg

I didnt even think about it, but he even leveled it.
i-cB5HbTj-X4.jpg

i-X465P6m-X4.jpg

i-xNkh3f8-X4.jpg

i-535tdCG-X4.jpg

i-8XLKVgZ-X4.jpg

i-wWTB55T-X4.jpg

i-dx5WM4J-X4.jpg

Alright, so lets go over the specs.
It is a Lofted Barn style
12' X 16'
Two 2x3 windows
Transom double doors
Transom single door on gable end
Transom windows on each gable end
6" overhang on gable ends
Heavy Duty floor (joists 12" on center)
LUX guard rubber floor
Ridge vent
The finish is GAP Grey
Charcoal roof
Black doors
Black trim

The good news is that is super fucking nice. They use really nice hardware, its built very well, and I am extremely happy with all of that stuff. Sue was awesome in general to deal with, and she really knows her shit. The delivery guy who is technically contracted was also awesome. He nailed the location, had it done very quickly and was very helpful with some questions and concerns we had.

So now for the bad. Lets start with the gravel pad I guess. I didnt think it looked all that great from the get go, but I also knew that it would be 90% covered anyway. I really didnt have any time to look at it any more than "yep its there, and kinda doesnt look spectacular". Turns out it was worse than I thought even. It was very not level, you can probably see the blocks under the front beam of the shed, and there is nothing in the back. So across that 12 foot span its about 4-6" difference. That also means that the ramp is a lot more steep than it should be. Which also means that in my excitment to test fit the mower inside I bashed the shit out of the nice aluminum trim piece at the door. The delivery driver was like "I saw that, Ill add it to the ticket". So they will send out a new one, and no damage was done to the actual floor, so no harm done really. He still said he would pin that on the gravel guy. The second problem with the gravel is that it is suposed to be 1' larger all the way around. It is close enough on the front and one side, but the other side and back are WAY off. Also you can see around the ramp is way off as well. I am going to give him a call tomorrow and talk to him about all of this. I am sure he will make it right, but still annoying.

On the shed itself there are also a couple small issues. First up they didnt do the trim around the doors black. I didnt think anything of that, but the wife was on that instantly. What I did notice was brown flashing instead of black. They also put a vent on the back wall which is very annoying because I had a lot of back and forth about the ridge vent and not wanting anything else on the building. Last up the single door on the end should have been hung to swing the other way. I actually dont care about that since it clears everything, but I was worried which is why I had requested it the other way. All very minor, but after all the time and all the money its annoying. The driver was the one really pushing to note any and all issues because of that. So he noted it all and will submit it, and they will reach out to fix everything.

So with all that said, I still wanted to start loading this thing up and getting space back in my garage, so thats what we did!! I still have a LOT to do, but here are some pics inside.

First up I had to put back in the section of fence we had removed for delivery.
i-fNzSvHw-X4.jpg

i-VxkM8rC-X4.jpg

i-NzhGvph-X4.jpg

i-3bqXmPp-X4.jpg

There is still a lot of stuff we need to move over, but the bulk of the shit that is always in my way is all moved over. I am going to build a small bench tomorrow as well, and maybe some shelves.

Thats probably way too long of a post for a shed, but this has been a long time coming. I have needed a shed since the day we moved in. With the bigger mower finding something that would work was a pain in the ass. I am really glad that Everlast was recomended, and we were able to get exactly what we wanted. I will post up some more pics as we get more stuff moved over and organized. For now I am going to bed!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info