I need a gas line & garage heater installed!

Knowklew

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 5, 2014
Your gas bill? WTF mine was $172 for december. Keep the house at 68. Furnace and dryer are the only things that run on gas. The stove is hardly ever being used. Fucking inefficient shit furnace I have I bet.
You have something wrong with your furnace.

I have 2 furnaces in my house (upstairs and downstairs) plus a gas heater in my garage, gas dryer that runs everyday, gas water heater, gas pool heater. My bill is usually around 125 in the winter and 75 in the summer

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
You have something wrong with your furnace.

I have 2 furnaces in my house (upstairs and downstairs) plus a gas heater in my garage, gas dryer that runs everyday, gas water heater, gas pool heater. My bill is usually around 125 in the winter and 75 in the summer

Yep it's 23 years old and a giant piece of shit. However it stil works and it's not really worth it to drop $5k on a new one to save $70/month. I'm waiting for it to shit the bed

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
70 per month is a 5 year payoff. Likely worth it.
I agree but I don't have 5k just laying around for a furnace just in case. It is original and the house was built in 95. Plus the a/c is original too. The fan motor makes a shit ton of noise when it turns off. It sounds like Santas jiggle bells coming down the chimney.

I’d look at insulation particularly in the attic and air sealing before buying a new furnace.

Plenty of insulation up in the attic, no worries there.

I have a wood burner in my garage and I love it. I also insulated the garage door with 4x8 styrofoam sheets with the relflective coating on one side cut to fit. Works like a charm.

Doors are all insulated. That worked pretty well I think.

How old/big is your house? Do you have any insulation in it? Have you replaced the windows?

1800sq feet, 2 floors and a crawl space under the house. Windows were replaced at some point before we got the house. They are decent (I think)
There is a small draft from behind the tv above the fireplace. The last guy built some shit and put the tv in there. But the thermostat is on the other side of the house.
The room above the furnace is hot as balls, the one above the garage is a lot colder and the one above the fireplace, that temp is comfortable and in-between the other two rooms. It's always a lot warmer upstairs than downstairs.
Also after I did that stupid ecobee when the heat turns off it turns back on then off again. Drives me nuts.

lefty

Addict
Aug 23, 2015
There should be diffusers to balance the airflow on the ducts close to the furnace, hopefully you have more than 1 feed duct. If there are no diffusers I would put them in and balance the airflow. You can also kinda balance it closing registers if you haven't already

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Plenty of insulation up in the attic, no worries there.

How much though? I had a decent amount of insulation and noticed a huge difference in blowing an another 8-10" on top of my existing insulation. Also, you need to see all pipes, conduit, etc. up there to prevent air infiltration. You can have a company do an energy audit for $50 and they will show you were you need to make repairs using a FLIR camera. It's pretty cool.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info