I mean, I understand German cars depreciate... but...

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
The majority of people that own any German luxury cars don't turn their own wrenches. Enthusiasts are a small minority of owners. The rest of them take them to the dealership, where it is a lot more expensive to repair than your run of the mill Camry.

And I bet a lot of the guys tracking their BMW's don't turn wrenches too. A lot of those guys "arrive and drive". They have a shop like Fall Line prep their cars.

i would not consider bmw guys the same as other german guys.

example: mercedes benz club event is going to brunch. bmw club event is an autocross, or a track day. yes plenty of bmw guys, like owners of any car, just take them to dealers and mechanics. but at a track day you're not going to find a bunch of mbs or audis, you will find a bunch of bmws, of every generation. and the majority of those guys know how to wrench and/or have friends wrenching along with them.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
giphy.gif

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
My experience anyway...the s series cars with all the bells and whistles will cost you. Buy them with really low or really high miles only. E class has all the successful s class hand me downs.

I've had good luck with old BMWs myself. Last one lasted me 3 years, parts were cheap, and minimal maint. Got about 60k out of it, and only cost me $3k. The e39 530i was only $4200 and so far has been great. I put in a new radiator for $115 shipped (nissens), and new pads and rotors for $120. Water pumps on the sixes are less than $30. MOST mechanicals are cheap, but there are exceptions...the alternator on my 525 was $600, but I found one used for $50.

Don't get me wrong, shit breaks on these cars, but not enough to warrant the hysteria. I'm happy to be buying 10-20 year old BMWs for DD duties, so keep it up I guess?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Not all depreciation exists because the car is a raging turd. I mean sure, some of it is because of that but you also have to consider the target demographic of these cars. Wealthier people. And when they get rid of them do you think other wealthy people want them? Generally no. They too want the latest and greatest. So the flagship cars skip an entire demographic and generally slip from really expensive to bargain hunter.

Compare two cars:

Toyota Camry - Scenario: Buy it for $25,000, drive it, sell it after 3 years. Any putz can afford a Camry. When they sell it used it's worth maybe $16,000. Someone buys it at that price to save some money. Likely that person could also afford it new. They just choose not to buy it new.

Mercedes S550 - Same scenario: buy it for $100,000, drive it and sell it after 3 years. Now you go to sell it. Let's say like the Toyota in my example it suffers from a depreciation rate of 35% after the first three years. You're looking at $65,000 for a 3 year old high tech Mercedes, close to being out of warranty and it's still a ton of money. Who's going to buy that car? People that can afford it aren't generally dumb enough to pay that much. They'll just go out and buy a new E Class. So that second buyer is generally someone making substantially less than the first.

The car's skip entire pricing demographics. The other half of that depreciation curve is certainly based on poor reliability. Not only that but the last Gen S class is a turd inside. Go drive it and then drive a 2008 or 2009 A8. It's not even close. The A8 blows it away in almost every aspect. Other than that, I have no real experience with Mercedes but hear it's similar to Audi and high end Audi's suck.

I wouldn't buy either though. If I had to go down this road again I'd look for a 2011+ Msport 535i and be done with it. The F10 5 series is an amazing car and it's cheap. This is after a 30 second search but this past fall I was looking at 2013 535's with 40,000 miles fully loaded for $32,000. That is so much car for the money and it's a car I feel like I could still fix a lot of stuff on myself.

535i BMW 2011 Sedan

The Tesla is a good looking car but for the front end, I can't think of a modern car I like more than the F10 5 series with the LED headlights and m-sport package. Plus the interior blows the Tesla away.

hqdefault.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info