I know, set it on fire and be done with it... Caddy accel problem

Angus

Reaction score
My SRX just started yesterday to show some weird symptoms. After driving for a short bit, when I am stopped and then try to accelerate, the car barely moves. I can have it floored and the first couple seconds it'll creep forward. Then it will get moving all of a sudden and will accelerate like normal. It only does this from a stop and the rest of the time driving at speed is normal.

There's no ECU codes, no noises or shudders, and I can't seem to find anything online on it.

I noticed, but might just be in my head, but the exhaust note sounds weirdly muffled when this happens and I think I smell unburned fuel. Not overly noticeable and I don't know if it's just me being hypersensitive about noticing things when this happens.

It's a ly7 3.6 (non DI) with a 5l40-e trans.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Intel

Reaction score
Sounds like the ecu isn't getting a signal from the TPS that you are hitting the throttle. But that is just a very off the cuff guess.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
Kind of sounds like the throttle motor is slow from closed position. Maybe it's mucked up with some nasty shit stuff and getting stuck? Also sounds like the computer is giving the motor the proper fuel to go with a throttle that's supposed to be wide open, but it's not. My first response would be to not floor it when it's happening and pull the intake off and see if there's a bunch of sticky shit where the throttle blade is.

BOPC_Fan

Reaction score
What year? I work at a Cadillac dealer and there is a recall for that if it is the same issue. All it should need is an ECM and TCM reflash and you're set.

Angus

Reaction score
What year? I work at a Cadillac dealer and there is a recall for that if it is the same issue. All it should need is an ECM and TCM reflash and you're set.
2004. Are you able to check or do I need to take it into the dealership to find out?

BOPC_Fan

Reaction score
Okay so, bad/good news is you have no open recalls. First off, when did this start happening? And did you do or have any work done to it recently?

rz79

Reaction score
Angus- I have a buddy that's a service writer at Ettilson.. If you want his name it might not hurt seeing if he can "help".

rz79

Reaction score
My SRX just started yesterday to show some weird symptoms. After driving for a short bit, when I am stopped and then try to accelerate, the car barely moves. I can have it floored and the first couple seconds it'll creep forward. Then it will get moving all of a sudden and will accelerate like normal. It only does this from a stop and the rest of the time driving at speed is normal.

There's no ECU codes, no noises or shudders, and I can't seem to find anything online on it.

I noticed, but might just be in my head, but the exhaust note sounds weirdly muffled when this happens and I think I smell unburned fuel. Not overly noticeable and I don't know if it's just me being hypersensitive about noticing things when this happens.

It's a ly7 3.6 (non DI) with a 5l40-e trans.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I know nothing of auto repair but... Plugged cats/broken cats?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom