• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

I have to get an AUTO trans for this Cobra

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
The car is a blast to drive but will be much more user friendly with an Auto, so now my debate begins on which one.

I have to decide between a 4R70W and a TH400.

The 4R70W is a complex swap, but I can do it.
The TH400 is difficult, but the lack of messing with electronics is a nice perk. Im still searching for pics/knowledge of someone who has installed a 400 with a Gear Vendors. A 6 speed Auto would be pretty neat, and I do not mind re shaping the transmission tunnel since it would only affect the console storage box and/or back seat....both of which I have no use for.

Im not doing this anytime soon, spring for sure. Of course then Ill need the solid axle. Here we go...... :alcoholic :clap:

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
The 4r70 is a good amount more than the 400 to do and if keeping the 4r computer controlled, more time consuming as well. I would pm MROD, as he does DD his cobra with a 400, and get his feedback on it. Me building my own trans was almost just as expensive as mike (MROD) doing his 400 that was shop built with all new parts. I purchased a used convertor and got the pcm for free, and a used shifter & cable.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Ive read that to do a 4r70w swap correctly (computer controlled) its gonna be in the neighborhood of 4-5 grand.

A TH400 with a gear vendors would be about the same cost, and a hell of a lot easier to do, with 2 extra forward gears.
Hell If I swapped in some 2.73 gears I could do 200 mph!

SonicBoost

Regular
Jun 11, 2009
Zack, I'm more than happy with the results from my MVB TH400 swap. All i can say is I will never go back manual trans in this car again. Anyone that says they tried it and didn't like it didn't do it right or made shit for power.

I did alot of research before going that route and the main reason i chose this trans was the durability and ease of installation. Also, Several guys I know that have em said they're practically unbreakable and can handle tons of abuse and power.

It's been about 2 months that I've had it in the car and I love it. It's doesn't have that stock drivability/soft shifting feel of a 4r70 though. My rpms are right about 2500-3000 doing 65-70 mph with a 28" tire and 3.55 gears & MPG is down too. My plans were to also maybe go with a GV od as well some day.

My car only comes out on nice days, cruise nights, track events etc. so not having OD is not really that bad for me as of now. If I were to start driving it alot more I may switch to something else.

Anytime you want to come down for a test drive just let me know. :)

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
The car is a blast to drive but will be much more user friendly with an Auto, so now my debate begins on which one.

I have to decide between a 4R70W and a TH400.

The 4R70W is a complex swap, but I can do it.
The TH400 is difficult, but the lack of messing with electronics is a nice perk. Im still searching for pics/knowledge of someone who has installed a 400 with a Gear Vendors. A 6 speed Auto would be pretty neat, and I do not mind re shaping the transmission tunnel since it would only affect the console storage box and/or back seat....both of which I have no use for.

Im not doing this anytime soon, spring for sure. Of course then Ill need the solid axle. Here we go...... :alcoholic :clap:
Personally, I would never put a non-OD transmission in any car that I was going to spend alot of time on the street with. Back in the day I swapped out the OD trans in my GN for a TH400 and always regretted it.

I also wouldn't bother with a Gear Vendors setup, I would just get a properly built 4r70w/4r75w and run it with a Bauminator or a full manual unit with electronic switches for OD and lockup. I know it's alot of work/money, but that's the way I would go if I planned to keep it and put alot of miles on it.

Also, I know tons of people say the stick is way more fun but a properly setup manual valve body auto can be a ton of fun too.

Good luck with whatever way you go, I know you'll make it work great no matter which path you take.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Thanks MROD and gnxs, good info.

Here is a good thread on MF:
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php/163464-FB-Performance-built-4R70W-swap-(4STB-E)
posi from MF and SVTp just made a post to go with the FB 4R70W and made up a price list, as seen below:
4STB-E-------------------------------------------------$2,495
Transbrake/Valvebody----------------------------------- $200
Core-----------------------------------------------------$200
10" Single Disc Torque Converter (3,500 Stall)-------------$1,195
Shift Lever and Bracket Kit--------------------------------$65
Tranny Cooler with #6 Fittings----------------------------$350
Cooler lines are SS braided with #6 Fittings----------------^
Flexplate 164 tooth 0 Balance 8 Bolt-----------------------$225
HD Spicer adapter Yoke-----------------------------------$135
Auto-reset controller (OD & Lock-up in 3rd)---------------------------$185
Shipping Container----------------------------------------$95
Shipping--------------------------------------------------$150

This is a superb option and eliminates the need for a PCM swap and crazy electronics modifications.

However, its still a 4R70W and 4th gear cant take any abuse at WOT. My 4:10's would definitely need to be swapped for 3:55's. ...and the trans will need to be manually shifted. This is something I wanted to avoid, but I can live with shifting and the clutch going bye bye.

And then the TH400. Im thinking it will be slightly more than the 4r70w after everything is purchased. Granted they are for sale used from time to time, but nothing beats a new product. Im just giddy with the thought of 6 forward speeds, how can you beat that?

Well, I have all winter to decide.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Here is a good thread on MF:
http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php/163464-FB-Performance-built-4R70W-swap-(4STB-E)
posi from MF and SVTp just made a post to go with the FB 4R70W and made up a price list, as seen below:
4STB-E-------------------------------------------------$2,495
Transbrake/Valvebody----------------------------------- $200
Core-----------------------------------------------------$200
10" Single Disc Torque Converter (3,500 Stall)-------------$1,195
Shift Lever and Bracket Kit--------------------------------$65
Tranny Cooler with #6 Fittings----------------------------$350
Cooler lines are SS braided with #6 Fittings----------------^
Flexplate 164 tooth 0 Balance 8 Bolt-----------------------$225
HD Spicer adapter Yoke-----------------------------------$135
Auto-reset controller (OD & Lock-up in 3rd)---------------------------$185
Shipping Container----------------------------------------$95
Shipping--------------------------------------------------$150

I have a non-lock up 4STB from FB and I like it so far, I bought it off a buddy of mine and I can tell you he spent around 4G's for everything when he bought it new.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
However, its still a 4R70W and 4th gear cant take any abuse at WOT. My 4:10's would definitely need to be swapped for 3:55's. ...and the trans will need to be manually shifted. This is something I wanted to avoid, but I can live with shifting and the clutch going bye bye.

And then the TH400. Im thinking it will be slightly more than the 4r70w after everything is purchased. Granted they are for sale used from time to time, but nothing beats a new product. Im just giddy with the thought of 6 forward speeds, how can you beat that?

Well, I have all winter to decide.

The 4r70 isnt built for wot shifting into 4th(OD), but uses lockup instead as "another gear" by hydraulically locking the converter. I have 4.10's with 26" tall tires and my rpm's are the same as mikes 400 with 3.55's and a 28" tire. I was able to get through the traps at 120mph that way WITH a lowered redline at 5500rpm, so gears are not a bad thing with a 4R.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
The 4r70 isnt built for wot shifting into 4th(OD), but uses lockup instead as "another gear" by hydraulically locking the converter. I have 4.10's with 26" tall tires and my rpm's are the same as mikes 400 with 3.55's and a 28" tire. I was able to get through the traps at 120mph that way WITH a lowered redline at 5500rpm, so gears are not a bad thing with a 4R.

Again, good info.

I think my mind is already made up though.
TH400 with a gear vendors.

I always try and do things differently from the others and a 6 speed Auto will be nothing short of completely awesome.

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
a t400 will almost always be .2-.5 faster in the 1/4 mile then a 4r70w... i dont know if its converter technology, slow shifting of the 4r, or reciprocating weight... but, every setup ive been involved in that has switched, picked up significantly..

since you are not interested in 1/4mile, i would without question, go with a 4r70w... both are super strong too

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Kind of confusing info Bob?????

If the TH400 will net better quarter mile times, why would it not be just as good of a street transmission?

For me, it really never mattered about logistics (with any project) If i can be different than all of the other cookie cutter cobras, then thats the path im taking!

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
a t400 will almost always be .2-.5 faster in the 1/4 mile then a 4r70w... i dont know if its converter technology, slow shifting of the 4r, or reciprocating weight... but, every setup ive been involved in that has switched, picked up significantly..

since you are not interested in 1/4mile, i would without question, go with a 4r70w... both are super strong too

Hmm... I wonder if that's true with F cars when ditching the 4L60e for a TH400

Bob_Kurgan

Flyin_Hawaiin
Feb 16, 2005
Kind of confusing info Bob?????

If the TH400 will net better quarter mile times, why would it not be just as good of a street transmission?

For me, it really never mattered about logistics (with any project) If i can be different than all of the other cookie cutter cobras, then thats the path im taking!

not confusing at all.. t400 great for racing, OK for street... 4r70w great for street, ok for racing...

i have no experience with the GV, so i cant comment on it..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info